iPad Apple: Get your QC Right!! (Speaker and Screen Quality)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nStyle, Dec 6, 2013.

1. nStyle macrumors 6502a

I'm on my 3rd iPad Air. All have had some sort of issue.

Three of them have had color uniformity issues and one of them has had speaker issues.

I made a thread a while back complaining about the Air's speakers thinking that they were a definite downgrade from the 4. After getting feedback and realizing that I had a bad unit, I swapped out. The next unit I received was infinitely better and clearer. The first one I had sounded muffled and faint and very hollow. I've actually noticed a speaker difference in all of them.

The latest one I have now has the best speakers out of the three but the screen is the worse. There is a noticeable yellow -> blue color temp shift on these screens! It is even more noticeable from the bottom left corner.

I took a pic highlighting this. It's obvious that the right hand side is far more yellow than the left. I wouldn't even care if it wasn't so noticeable while reading. While watching movies or looking at graphic rich content, I don't notice it at all.

I am returning and just getting an 11" MBA. I don't know what is up with Apple and their QC. I don't care if a screen is more yellow or more blue but when there is a shift it just isn't acceptable at all to me. Why is it they can produce perfectly fine screens on their laptops but iPad screens just never are produced with the same care? The Nexus 7 is a much cheaper tablet and has none of the flaws I've seen in iPads.

I know these threads are a broken record by now but I'm just disgusted enough to vent via new thread. It wouldn't be such a big deal if Apple didn't charge a premium price for what is supposed to be a premium product.

Attached Files:

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

It really saddens me that Apple can't get their quality control under control. And it's not just iPads, the 15-inch rMBP is having just as many problems.

3. Raiton10 macrumors newbie

Wow it is disturbing. I have one Ipad Air too, it has perfect uniform screen and good speakrs, but after one day of use appeared on the screen cca 0,5-1mm line of dead pixels. So I asked for a new unit, but I´m really worried what will came to me.
    I hope that nex iPad will be good I want one, it is great device, but with no issues.

4. dljor macrumors regular

What is the problem that you want to show with the attachment?

5. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

I'm confused - and I don't want to pour salt on your wounds here but is that a picture of an iPad with nothing wrong with it?

maybe it's not showing up but i honestly can't see what you are talking about in that picture.

that being said i would have flipped out over the speaker issue you described.

6. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Seriously? You guys can't see the brightness problem/tint issues on the left and right of the screen? I might just be the photo but still.

No wonder so many people are accepting naff screens....

7. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

honestly cant...of course i am looking at it on my MBA...maybe the crappiness matches perfectly:p

8. Jbru187 macrumors member

I saw it instantly on my iPad, but it's harder to see on my desktop.

9. nStyle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I mean, looking at it on my perfectly fine rMBP, I can immediately notice how much darker (yellow) the right side is than the left. It's more noticeable in person but its still should be very noticeable on most screens.

10. donnaw macrumors 65816

I can see it in your pic. Maybe this is why so many people call BS on these threads. They really can't see it. My iPad 3 had the same issue but I kept it (and a year and half later still hated it) but when I traded it to my husband he literally can't see it so he's happy. But I do think these type of defects show up more in iOS 7 due to all the white.

My ipad Air has a pretty much perfect screen. There is a tiny bit of 'darkness' at the bottom left but even I don't notice it unless I have the keyboard up and really, really look. I got lucky with the first one so they are out there.

11. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Don't listen to the fanboys claiming they don't see anything wrong with your screen.

I see it, and have had 3 bad ipad airs too. Althought I've never seen it cooler on the left than the right.

12. KhunJay macrumors regular

KhunJay

FFS, look at the background behind the word 'Google'...then move to the last world of the headline which is 'report' and look at the background to that word.

The former is more white, the latter is more yellow (muddy) by comparison. An unevenly tinted screen.

I can see a difference and it's pretty annoying when you but an ipad to read magazines/books etc that are basically black type on white.

13. WilliamG macrumors 604

Obvious difference to me when using my iPhone 5s to view that image. It really is a shame...

14. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

fanboy is a term for simpletons.
    brand loyalty is for suckers. why would anyone claim they don't see anything?

i've got an iPad sitting unopened in a box and i would really like to know if this is a real issue or not. based on the number of people making these posts my assumption is that they can't all be "making it up" but I really and truly can not see any difference in the white behind "google" and on the right side of the page.

15. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

I think this proves the naysayers are the ones that actually have the vision problems.

I can see the yellowing perfectly.

16. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

ok - plugged my mba into the TBD and i think i can see it now - the white on the right side looks a bit darker and maybe there's a black hue about 2/3s of the way to the right? hard to tell if that's the dark light conditions of the room in which the picture was taken but I really and truly can't see anything i would call a screen defect.

maybe i'm just not as sensitive to it (no sarcasm)

----------

naysayers? man...people will get combative over anything

17. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

Not trying to be combative but I'm sick of people telling us we have vision problems, when it's obvious they're the ones that can't see a full spectrum of colour.

If people can't see a truly defective screen, then they need their eyes checked. Not the ones who can immediately see the problem.

What I'd like to see is a print designer to come into one of these threads and say the screen is uniform. Then the other side of the fence may have some credibility.

18. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i'm sure if i saw it in person it would be more obvious - but on my new macbook air, that picture looks like a white iPad. there is nothing wrong with my eyes and i'm not standing on the other side of a fence from anyone.

19. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

I'm not directing my posts at you, chill.

I'm directing them at anyone who can honestly say they don't see a problem with that screen, and make it their life's goal to tell others who can see it, that they have a problem.

20. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i am perfectly 'chill' thank you.
    yes - people who "make it their life's goal to tell others who can see it, that they have a problem" are being silly.

21. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I can't really see a problem with that attachment.

If you don't like the iPad's screen - buy a different tablet. If you went through 3 of anything else, you'd just call it quits - but because it's Apple everyone HAS to return things 200 times to get a perfect device, sometimes forgetting that it's a consumer level device.

22. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I can clearly see it on my iPad 2 even in the thumbnail. This is a shame, I was hoping to finally upgrade to the Air but I've read a lot of threads around here about a lot of little (and not so little) problems that now I'm thinking of waiting until the next version.

23. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Does the tinting remain constant throughout the brightness range or does it become more apparent at higher brightnesses? :(

24. Bhs1975 macrumors 6502

I can see it clear as day with the yellow going to blue. I'm using an iPad miniR.

25. pocketpenguin macrumors regular

When I look at the photo, I see a darker area on the right, but I don't see a yellow cast. But different people have different thresholds of color perception. This is even more pronounced in men because men are more susceptible to different kinds of color blindness.

Anyway, I agree, if you've gone through more than one return, maybe it is time to move on. Apple devices are not perfect and even if you wait, I doubt they will get much better. There will always be subtle differences in screens, and the only perfect screen I've seen is the one in my ipad air ;). Just kidding, mine has a speck of dust. I live with it and the slight shading differences that appear as I hold the screen off-axis.

My opinion is that getting a perfect screen is unlikely. Try another tablet and let us know if you find their screens better.