Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkusL

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
Background

I don't care much for that backpack but I'm pleased to see that IKEA's duvet cover "SMÖRBOLL" is available in grey. I had only seen it in blue and green before.

BJonson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
So you expect them to give something?! That's why employees are paid a salary funnily enough.

Having said that not only is the sentiment nice but they have around 85,000 full time employees which means that they have spent near on a million bucks (based on your $10 a bag) which they certainly didn't have to :rolleyes:

Oh boy, a WHOLE million? :rolleyes:

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
have people lost touch with reality? most companies don't pay a dime in christmas bonuses anymore. those day are long gone.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Self Serving Much?

What a self serving, pretentious message! They can't just say, "Thank you for all your hard work, Merry X-Mas?"

----------

that is so lame! company of this magnitude gives this junk - that they buy at $10 at most a piece in mass quantity. how about free iPhone/ipod touch or at least $300 gift certificate?

that rivals this article:
http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20141205-the-worst-bonuses-ever

I used to have friends who work at MS and they get all software for free, plus Windows phones and of course their computers are laptops. When they came out with the Surface Everyone got those as well.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
What a self serving, pretentious message! They can't just say, "Thank you for all your hard work, Merry X-Mas?"

----------

I used to have friends who work at MS and they get all software for free, plus Windows phones and of course their computers are laptops. When they came out with the Surface Everyone got those as well.

Microsoft have always been like that though. Great company to work for.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
have people lost touch with reality? most companies don't pay a dime in christmas bonuses anymore. those day are long gone.

I think most people here are kids who have never had a real job.

I've worked for a few Fortune 500 companies, and a $25 gift card is the norm now. There are no company Christmas parties anymore at most places. Only if you're a high-up executive do you get anything substantial.

What Apple did was really nice, and something they did not have to do, and most companies DON'T do. For the naysayers, show me what other retailers are giving their employees that is worth more.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I understand the reactions of some people... to expect something MUCH better. But the problem is the *expecting*... whatever happened to just being thankful for a gift? Why does it have to have a certain monetary value attached to it? If you don't like the backpack for yourself, then pass it along to someone that could use it, who needs it. Walk down to your local homeless shelter and make someone's Christmas extra special. Isn't that what this season is about? Giving, not getting?

IndoX

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Previously worked for Retail, and I can say that most employees love the gifts. Apple branded merchandise is not available for sell other than Cupertino. The employees (at least in Retail) love it when they can get apple branded stuff like hoodies, water bottles, and other stuff so they can take it to work.

In fact, whenever someone got promoted to Genius and they were being sent to Cupertino for training employees would give them gift cards so they can purchase apple branded stuff to bring back.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
Great color scheme if you work for UPS.

----------

I think most people here are kids who have never had a real job.

I've worked for a few Fortune 500 companies, and a $25 gift card is the norm now. There are no company Christmas parties anymore at most places. Only if you're a high-up executive do you get anything substantial.

What Apple did was really nice, and something they did not have to do, and most companies DON'T do. For the naysayers, show me what other retailers are giving their employees that is worth more.
That's because $25 is still the maximum allowable tax write-off in the U.S. for gifts.

sentiblue

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Silicon Valley
Kind of looks like the "Outlet Mall" version? :apple:

----------

ROFLMAO. Time to wake up from your dream. ;)

This isn't a dream... couple years ago, Google gifted $1000 (yes, one thousand dollars) to each employee... to spend for christmas...

Apple has even a lot more money than Google.... This is not hard for them to do. They are just not as generous as Google was... but then again they are not required to.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
that is so lame! company of this magnitude gives this junk - that they buy at $10 at most a piece in mass quantity. how about free iPhone/ipod touch or at least $300 gift certificate?

that rivals this article:
http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20141205-the-worst-bonuses-ever

Becomes quite a big gift when you consider they have to give it to 98,000 employees or more. I don't think their shareholders would be too happy with them giving away millions for a gift on top of the bonuses and other things they already give each year.

----------

This isn't a dream... couple years ago, Google gifted $1000 (yes, one thousand dollars) to each employee... to spend for christmas...

Apple has even a lot more money than Google.... This is not hard for them to do. They are just not as generous as Google was... but then again they are not required to.

A public company has to return on shareholder value. Most wouldn't be in a good spot if they gave away millions to their employees on top of the big bonuses they already pay.

nucrash

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2014
Just WOW!!!!

This year, my company had an anniversary and every full time employee managed to get an engraved iPad Mini. Our bonus was profit sharing and while that's not always a grand thing based on the year's profit, they usually try to take care of the employees.

With some of these horror stories, I think I can appreciate how my company treats me just a bit more.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
It's amazing the amount of entitlement that seems to be going on around here.
Apple(or any company) doesn't have to do anything for a Christmas bonus. And based on the whining here, I would suspect most companies that do something, still end up hearing about who they "shafted" their employees, because it wasn't enough or wasn't what they wanted.
Grow up. Your continued employment should be the only thing you hope to get from your company now. Beyond that, just be happy that they did anything at all.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I'd love a backpack with the apple logo on it.

My company gave me (and my coworkers) a paperweight a couple of years ago. Now that was a crappy gift!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.