Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_tv_main_menu-150x99.jpg
The Wall Street Journal provides some of the first hints about Apple's internal television project. While rumors of such a project have been ongoing for years, there has been a renewed interest in it since Steve Jobs described having "finally cracked" the TV interface in his recently released biography.

The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple has been in ongoing discussions with media executives at several large companies about their vision for the future of TV. Apple's Senior Vice President Eddy Cue is reported to have outlined new ways Apple's technology could be used across phones, tablets and TVs. The overall concept, however, remains rather vague. It seems that Apple has discussed a number of possibilities with executives, but stopping well short of outlining their exact vision.

Of course, voice and movement controls have been suggested, though in a long term view:
In at least one meeting, Apple described future television technology that would respond to users' voices and movements, one of the people said. Such technology, which Apple indicated may take longer than some of its other ideas, might allow users to use their voices to search for a show or change channels.
Beyond that, Apple's TV plans seem to revolve around wireless streaming technology to access shows and movies. The use of Apple's AirPlay technology could allow users to control the device from their iPhone and iPad, possibly eliminating the need for a set top box. As an example, users could watch video on their TV and then move over to their iPhone or iPad seemlessly. Other sources indicate that Apple has worked on integrating DVR storage and iCloud into their future TV device.

The question of what content will be shown on the new device remains up in the air. Apple is not said to have pursued the necessary content deals at this time, though have considered the possibility of licensing content directly to create a subscription-TV service. Steve Jobs, himself, was reportedly part of these early talks as far back as 2010.

Apple's ongoing secrecy should come as no surprise. We've previously reported that competitors are already "scrambling" to react to Apple's rumored entry into the television market.

Article Link: Apple Gives Media Executives Vague Hints about Its Television Plans

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
I still think its odd and outside of Apple zone to start producing HD TV sets. Doesn't make sense. If anything more of a serious content availability for Apple/iTunes customers.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Am I the only one that doesn't want to speak to my TV? I like voice control on a phone, because I can do simple tasks while driving. But on a TV I feel like I would have to talk very loud or sit very close to the TV. Unless I am speaking in to a remote- and I think the general idea is to ditch the remote with the Apple TV. I'd rather just use my phone as a remote. Type in what I want to watch, etc. Sometimes I have to watch TV with the headphones on because I don't want to disturb others and having to speak to the TV would mess that up too.

Just my two cents, I am really psyched to see what they are going to do. I'm really hoping they hammer out some kind of deal with actual networks. I think I speak for millions of people when I say we are sick of having to purchase bundled cable packages when we only want a few select channels. A la cart programming needs to happen sooner or later.

Aug 26, 2008
Isn't this already available with Kinect? I guess I was just confused by the "future" technology part of it.

fjanderson94

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2011
NH
Cracked it's

Whatever is in the works over there, it's gotta be big and I'm sure it will revolutionize the HDTV market.

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
I don't like the idea of speaking to the TV I like using the remote or touch device to flip through channels or go to the menu don't feel up to talking to a tv don't think is such a good idea using voice commands.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
As an example, users could watch video on their TV and then move over to their iPhone or iPad seemlessly.

This is already possible through Netflix. Just today I was watching a video on my iPad, came home, and continued streaming it via my Xbox 360. It's a great idea, and I'm all for Apple taking a crack at it, but I'm nor sure how Apple is going to do it better than Netflix already does...

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I still think its odd and outside of Apple zone to start producing HD TV sets. Doesn't make sense. If anything more of a serious content availability for Apple/iTunes customers.

To be honest... it was weird for Apple Computer, Inc. to make MP3 players and then cell phones.

Though a name-change fixed that. :p

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
Never going to happen but....

I'd like to see the future of TVs to be a setup like computers are. Ie:

- High quality monitor as thin as possible. No speakers, no other internals, just a monitor
- Small ATV sized unit that streams content from the internet, this means it is not relying on region/country specific connections etc Content is delivered all around the world at the same time and on demand. You pay a monthly subscription and can watch content when you feel like. No need to store content on your computer (although you can if you like) and no need to record your shows to watch them later. This ATV communicates wirelessly with the monitor and speakers.

- When we want to upgrade we can leave the monitor attached to the wall etc and just pick up a new ATV.
- We don't need to manage content, apple stores it for us and allows us to download anything we want to our computer for offline playback (eg sports matches might be available for a week or so)
- Our own music, movies and tv shows can stream as they do with the current ATV

eNcrypTioN

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Being apps to the tv, that's all u really want.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
maybe its just me but talking bothers me more than using the remote. tv is the only time of the day when u can just sit there and dont have to say a word.

i have kinect on my xbox and i usually just use my controller because i'm to lazy to speak lol

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
BFD, voice navigation (especially for TVs) is lame... unless you live by yourself and there isn't anyone else around you at the time. Could to imagine the practical jokes that could be done with a voice activated TV?

Sounds like a feature that is a feature just to be different rather than have any real world use.

Unless you don't have any hands or severe arthritis I can't see any real world benefit over this than a remote.

It's a good thing I don't run Apple because I really can't see what they could do with the market other than essentially offer a Apple TV+, essentially the Apple TV device integrated into a TV where you could access iTunes content. In which case I'd rather just buy the $100 box than splurge on a new TV.

Add apps? We already have desktops, laptops, tablets, portable media players, and smart phones, would anyone actually buy a Apple TV if it essentially was like the current iOS devices? Essentially a super big iPad and how much would that sucker cost?

Hardware (resolution or some new screen technology) is about the only thing I think Apple might be able to bring to the table to an already overly packed TV market. Though they cut in quite nicely with the overly packed market of phones too when they introduced the iPhone.

Last edited:

Darien Red Sox

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
CT, USA
It would be nice (although I don't think it would happen) to see Apple partner up with Microsoft on this and integrate Microsoft's Media Room technology, this is the technology used by a lot of ipTV providers such as AT&T and this would mean that there would be no need for a box for people with this kind of service.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
BFD, voice navigation (especially for TVs) is lame... unless you live by yourself and there isn't anyone else around you at the time. Could to imagine the practical jokes that could be done with a voice activated TV?

Sounds like a feature that is a feature just to be different rather than have any real world use.

Unless you don't have any hands or severe arthritis I can't see any real world benefit over this than a remote.

That being said, I am interested to see what specs their TVs come out with resolution wise and in what technology.

But when Apple does it, it will suddenly become revolutionary and people will wonder how they ever got along without being able to talk to their tv.

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
Baby steps. First gen will feature extremely good content delivery (tv show subscription service and cheap movies). Basically just an evolution of the current Apple TV with a screen. Possibly will have basic apps. Second gen and onwards will have bells and whistles like iSight camera and faster processor and graphics set up capable of handling big apps like games downloadable from an app store. The evolution of Apple's TV will be just like the iPhone and iPad. E.g. Basic at first but will flourish over the second and third iterations. Apple don't want to throw everything into the first gen because failure will look even worse if their revolutionary living room machine fails to take off as opposed to the evolution of their hobby.

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
None of that sounds appealing. A new way to switch channels is pretty boring stuff.

Then again, TV itself is boring. The revolutionary change would be to give people something to watch other than the last crap sitcom from NBC or whoever.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
I'm very interested to see what he has up his sleeves. I'm sure all the competitors out there have no clue what's about to happen in the near future.

Whatever is in the works over there, it's gotta be big and I'm sure it will revolutionize the HDTV market.

I haven't been this excited for an Apple product to come to reality since the iPad and iPhone! :D Man I hope it happens in 2012!

I'd like to see the future of TVs to be a setup like computers are. Ie:

- High quality monitor as thin as possible. No speakers, no other internals, just a monitor
- Small ATV sized unit that streams content from the internet, this means it is not relying on region/country specific connections etc Content is delivered all around the world at the same time and on demand. You pay a monthly subscription and can watch content when you feel like. No need to store content on your computer (although you can if you like) and no need to record your shows to watch them later. This ATV communicates wirelessly with the monitor and speakers.

- When we want to upgrade we can leave the monitor attached to the wall etc and just pick up a new ATV.
- We don't need to manage content, apple stores it for us and allows us to download anything we want to our computer for offline playback (eg sports matches might be available for a week or so)
- Our own music, movies and tv shows can stream as they do with the current ATV

Good idea with the Apple TV box. They should make it so it slides into the back of the TV though so it looks seamless and you don't have a box laying around somewhere.

I think John Gruber made a very valid point as well. He said Apple won't be able to get the market share they will need with TVs unless they sell a box like the current Apple TV AS WELL as a full on TV because people don't upgrade near as much as other products, and the early adopters already have nice new TVs.

I can see that being a huge advantage in gaining marketshare!

Want a full on Apple TV? Great buy it and slide the box out of the back of the display and upgrade the hardware whenever you want or upgrade the display whenever you want probably less often, or... Already have a TV? Just buy the Apple TV Mini just like the current Apple TV box and plug it in to your current TV, and the next time you get a new TV you will almost definitely buy the full on Apple one! They could gain immediate marketshare and secure future marketshare lock-in to their ecosystem with everyone else.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Am I the only one that doesn't want to speak to my TV? I like voice control on a phone, because I can do simple tasks while driving. But on a TV I feel like I would have to talk very loud or sit very close to the TV. Unless I am speaking in to a remote- and I think the general idea is to ditch the remote with the Apple TV. I'd rather just use my phone as a remote. Type in what I want to watch, etc. Sometimes I have to watch TV with the headphones on because I don't want to disturb others and having to speak to the TV would mess that up too.

Just my two cents, I am really psyched to see what they are going to do. I'm really hoping they hammer out some kind of deal with actual networks. I think I speak for millions of people when I say we are sick of having to purchase bundled cable packages when we only want a few select channels. A la cart programming needs to happen sooner or later.

Perhaps we'll be able to speak to Siri on our iOS devices and it will control the
TV that way, in addition to touch input. All this could easily come as an upgrade to the Remote app.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I haven't been this excited for an Apple product to come to reality since the iPad and iPhone! :D Man I hope it happens in 2012!

Good idea with the Apple TV box. They should make it so it slides into the back of the TV though so it looks seamless and you don't have a box laying around somewhere.

I think John Gruber made a very valid point as well. He said Apple won't be able to get the market share they will need with TVs unless they sell a box like the current Apple TV AS WELL as a full on TV because people don't upgrade near as much as other products, and the early adopters already have nice new TVs.

I can see that being a huge advantage in gaining marketshare!

Want a full on Apple TV? Great buy it and slide the box out of the back of the display and upgrade the hardware whenever you want or upgrade the display whenever you want probably less often, or... Already have a TV? Just buy the Apple TV Mini just like the current Apple TV box and plug it in to your current TV, and the next time you get a new TV you will almost definitely buy the full on Apple one! They could gain immediate marketshare and secure future marketshare lock-in to their ecosystem with everyone else.

That's not the way to build an all-in-one device if you want to make money. You want it all built in so people will upgrade the entire thing every 3 or 4 years. That is how you make big bucks!

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Well...

I don't like the idea of speaking to the TV I like using the remote or touch device to flip through channels or go to the menu don't feel up to talking to a tv don't think is such a good idea using voice commands.

I think you are in a very small minority on this one. Voice is where I ts going and I can't wait!

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
as long as it can automatically bring the volume level of advertisements down to be the same as the shows, it will be awesome.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have a tendency to believe apples idea of the tv's future is purely all on demand and no "live tv" other than the obvious of events and sports but other than that all on demand streaming. Think about it, it's totally something apple would want. And I mean that lets say your favorite show put pushed out a new show to watch as soon as its done. Obviously over the air wouldn't go away but this would be a subscription service replacing Dvr with their instant streaming. Think Hulu + Netflix + whatever else + the apple touch. I honestly have no idea but if I was to take a guess that might be part.
There is ppl talking about surfing channels over voice would suck but just image that you never surfed channels again... A waste of time. You just said most recent how I met your mOther, and Siri would say, are you sure? You haven't viewed the previous weeks yet. So no surfing, just serving up only what you asked for.

leroypants

Suspended
Jul 17, 2010
So basically Apple saw a Microsoft Kinect commercial and decided to, like everything else in apples history, steal the idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.