Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
bigbossbmb said:
I don't think so, that is just a controller box and not an audio interface...the way asteroid has been described on here, it would be more like this M-Audio box.

I got tired of waiting for asteroid and got an M-Audio 410 and love it

LOL. How can you be so sure if this is similar product as Asteroid? :p But that's cool though.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
About time

Time to move on. Bloggers should have the same rights AND OBLIGATIONS as the other guys at the newspaper.
:D

mozmac

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Austin, TX
Yes, I'd like to know if it's either coming out soon or was in fact sold off to M-Audio. Wouldn't you love to take a walk through Apple's labs? That'd be fun!

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
mozmac said:
Yes, I'd like to know if it's either coming out soon or was in fact sold off to M-Audio. Wouldn't you love to take a walk through Apple's labs? That'd be fun!
i don't think anyone is saying it was sold to M-Audio. M-Audio just made a similar product that's actually been out longer than the asteroid has been a concept.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
EagerDragon said:
Time to move on. Bloggers should have the same rights AND OBLIGATIONS as the other guys at the newspaper.
:D
I disagree. My parents are both newspaper journalists, and they have very standards. If bloggers weren't allowed to publically show any opinion, share their opinion in their blog (unless it was an 'editorial' blog), take any gifts from people who they ever have or may write about, write about anyone they've had a personal friendship with, have to have 5-7 sources for every single fact they state, and not plagarise a single phrase, they really wouldn't want to have a blog. If bloggers want the rights of professional journalists, they should act like professional journalists.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
The asteroid drawings showed a very simple device with the rough relative dimensions of a Mac Mini (probably smaller and shallower) with TRS/MIDI inputs on the top, as far as I remember. None of these M-Audio products are similar in feature - they all offer a lot more than asteroid appeared to be offering (transport wheel, gain controls etc). If asteroid was a real product (not a leak to catch out a leaker) then it would have been relatively low-cost and very much simplified with a view to Garage Band use.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Dunepilot said:
The asteroid drawings showed a very simple device with the rough relative dimensions of a Mac Mini (probably smaller and shallower) with TRS/MIDI inputs on the top, as far as I remember. None of these M-Audio products are similar in feature - they all offer a lot more than asteroid appeared to be offering (transport wheel, gain controls etc). If asteroid was a real product (not a leak to catch out a leaker) then it would have been relatively low-cost and very much simplified with a view to Garage Band use.
I see. It'd be cool if it was real, then they released an asteroid pro for logic. apogee has kind of a monopoly in the hardware for logic pro market.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
wmmk said:
My parents are both newspaper journalists, If bloggers want the rights of professional journalists, they should act like professional journalists.

Notice I made it a point to state "and the same obligations".

twillis

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2002
Asteroid = Apogee Ensemble

I think people have missed the connection between the Asteroid rumors and the Apogee Ensemble FW interface. I believe the rumors even mentioned a partnership with Apogee on this device. The Ensemble was announced months ago and is now shipping with beta drivers.

This Apogee product offers unprecendented integration with Logic and Apple did the software for the control. Apogee is know for its high end sound and also their high end price.

I think this, along with the Apogee Symphony PCI cards and Apogee interfaces, are designed to compete against Pro Tools. Pro Tools is owned by Digidesign which is owned by Avid. Apple competes head-to-head against Avid with their FCP video editing suite. Thus Apple needs to compete not just in the video world, but also in the audio world.

Dididesign also just bought out M-Audio so you can bet there is no big partnership there. Apple needs to ensure both a high end solution and a low end solution. Thus the Symphony and the Ensemble. Maybe there is still a lower end solution coming too.

While they could market this "Asteroid" product under the Apple brand, they are using Apogee for their name and quality. If it's made by Apogee you know it is top notch. If Apple released their own branded audio interface, many people would take a wait and see attitude. Most people's gut reaction is that it would be low end gear for consumers who use Garageband.

Not that Garageband is a bad product. I'm amazed how good it is. I just wish Apple would overhaul Logic to the same standards.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
EagerDragon said:
Notice I made it a point to state "and the same obligations".
And I also stated that many would not blog at all if they had those same obligations. Read my whole post.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
twillis said:
I think people have missed the connection between the Asteroid rumors and the Apogee Ensemble FW interface. I believe the rumors even mentioned a partnership with Apogee on this device. The Ensemble was announced months ago and is now shipping with beta drivers.

This Apogee product offers unprecendented integration with Logic and Apple did the software for the control. Apogee is know for its high end sound and also their high end price.

I think this, along with the Apogee Symphony PCI cards and Apogee interfaces, are designed to compete against Pro Tools. Pro Tools is owned by Digidesign which is owned by Avid. Apple competes head-to-head against Avid with their FCP video editing suite. Thus Apple needs to compete not just in the video world, but also in the audio world.

Dididesign also just bought out M-Audio so you can bet there is no big partnership there. Apple needs to ensure both a high end solution and a low end solution. Thus the Symphony and the Ensemble. Maybe there is still a lower end solution coming too.

While they could market this "Asteroid" product under the Apple brand, they are using Apogee for their name and quality. If it's made by Apogee you know it is top notch. If Apple released their own branded audio interface, many people would take a wait and see attitude. Most people's gut reaction is that it would be low end gear for consumers who use Garageband.

Not that Garageband is a bad product. I'm amazed how good it is. I just wish Apple would overhaul Logic to the same standards.
Wow! That was actually a great point. It's just too bad that apple couldn't popularize the Apogee brand a bit more.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Thanks for the clarification, twillis. I had completely forgotten about the M-Audio / Digidesign connection. Good point. But I have to agree with wmmk on the marketing point-- Why doesn't Apple give these guys a hand? I mean, are their products even available on the Apple site? (I'll check.)

-Squire

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
barneygumble said:
Seems to me Apple should hae done their homework before proceeding with this lawsuit;). Perhaps they just wanted to put the fear of God into sites to stop the flow of leaks

Seems to me that Apple did their homework, and they achieved exactly what they wanted to achieve.

The court told Apple that they hadn't done enough to find the leak themselves: They should have asked each employee in question to state under oath whether they leaked the information or not. If they did that, it would have two effects: First, all the innocent employees would be pissed off in a major way - which is in the end why Apple didn't do this. Second, the one who was guilty would have the choice between losing their job immediately and commiting a serious crime (giving a false statement under oath will get you jail time). All the employees, especially those who want to make themselves feel important by leaking confidential information, will understand this.

So should there be another leak, then I believe everyone knows that first, Apple takes this very very seriously. The leaker may have been under a wrong impression here that nobody at Apple would care, the next leaker will know that that is wrong. Second, any leaker knows that the next time, Apple _will_ ask everyone to give a statement under oath. And lying there is a bad idea, because Apple then _will_ do everything right to get a successful subpoena. In a second case, the court would then see that Apple has done more to find out the leaker, and the matter is more important because Apple would have to find not only an employee who leaks confidential information, but also an employee who lied under oath.

This whole action will reduce the number of future leaks significantly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.