Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hushblade

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2021
If damage protection isn’t a concern for you, you can actually manipulate this a little bit.

When you buy AppleCare+, day 1 now starts from the day you bought it, instead of the original purchase date.

For example, AppleCare+ on AirPods is $29 for two years. If you buy it 11½ months in, you’ll get two more years — basically, 3 years of warranty coverage for the same $29.

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
So now Apple not only gets the expensive repair fees, they get the AppleCare sales too. 😂👍
LOL working at the Apple store now, I helped a guy last week who was trying to trade in his badly cracked 11 pro max and we couldn't accept it so when the 13 Pro max that he was upgrading to came out, I was like so we getting AppleCare+ on this bad guy? He was like nope. 🤦🏼‍♂️some people never learn, if you're not going to get AppleCare+ on anything else, get it on your phone people as that's your most-used device and has a higher chance of getting damaged.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
If damage protection isn’t a concern for you, you can actually manipulate this a little bit.

When you buy AppleCare+, day 1 now starts from the day you bought it, instead of the original purchase date.

For example, AppleCare+ on AirPods is $29 for two years. If you buy it 11½ months in, you’ll get two more years — basically, 3 years of warranty coverage for the same $29.
#LifeHacks; but the caveat is that you actually remember 11 months in, to apply the AppleCare+ warranty on the item. Who does that?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011

Are you sure it adds two more years, and doesn't start with date of purchase?

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States

This "second chance" offer only applies to iPhones and Macs and would first require having to experience and pay for an accident repair within the first year of ownership.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
Wow this is a smart idea. People are be more likely to insure their device after they go through an expensive repair.
Maybe at the new monthly price.

From my experience customers hate paying for repairs and asking them to pay more money usually doesn’t go down well.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas

It seems that prices change after a year. See...
Can confirm.

Just had my Pro Display replaced under warranty (11+ month after purchase), I had no AppleCare+.
When I check for warranty coverage under the new display's serial number, I now have the option to purchase AC+ for $179 year/$499 for 3 years.
And the file attached. $179 for one year.

1638994448010.png

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
I recently saw this pop up on my kids iPad mini, whose applecare + plan expired, I was curious on why I was seeing the option to buy it again but lo and behold you have a 30 day window after your initial 2 year Applecare coverage expires to get it monthly!! Woooooo

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016

I don’t believe this is how AppleCare+ works. I suspect it’s always going to be from the date your item is shipped, or purchased if it’s in stock.

Sir_Macs_A_Lot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2020
Thinking outside the box here:
What if Tim Apple made AppleCare+ mandatory and rolled it into the price of each product?
While they're at it...they can also find something else to remove from the box that we expect should come w/ our expensive toy.

UnusedLoginID

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
If you don’t have to have the product repaired though, do you still have a year to add AppleCare?
Yes, after a Genius Bar appointment. The two-year clock starts from the day of purchase too! Great deal… unless you already broke something in your phone at which point you’ll have to have it repaired at the full price first.

Reactions: iamMacPerson

UnusedLoginID

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
I don’t believe this is how AppleCare+ works. I suspect it’s always going to be from the date your item is shipped, or purchased if it’s in stock.
Actually that’s another recent change they made recently. AppleCare starts the day you buy the service, not the service, even during the initial 60 days. I know for a fact since I got it on my son’s phone at day 59 and lo and behold his expiration date is 2 years from that date.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
From my experience customers hate paying for repairs and asking them to pay more money usually doesn’t go down well.

Despite repair costs being published on the Apple website and elsewhere, I'm sure some people are still unaware what those costs can be. Upon learning firsthand what they are, a customer may decide that AppleCare+ is worth getting. Now they can, if they want to.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States

So, if someone buys AppleCare+ just before month 12 they would pay the same price as a two year plan but would only get one year of accidental damage coverage?

hushblade

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2021
Are you sure it adds two more years, and doesn't start with date of purchase?
Yes.

And it’s certainly a change from long ago. I believe this mostly stems from Apple also allowing monthly billing for AppleCare+ on iPhones and iPads.

hushblade

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2021
So, if someone buys AppleCare+ just before month 12 they would pay the same price as a two year plan but would only get one year of accidental damage coverage?
If you buy it at retail, you get 2 years of coverage from that date. Including accidental damage.

An alternative available to you is you can choose to purchase AppleCare+ monthly or yearly. And because of that, it has to start from the day you add it, otherwise everyone would choose AppleCare+ billing monthly (for mobile devices) or yearly (for computers).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.