Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Front Page Tech host and leaker Jon Prosser today shared several alleged details about Apple's rumored augmented reality glasses, including an "Apple Glass" marketing name, $499 starting price, prescription lens option, and more.

Apple-Glass.png
  • The marketing name will be "Apple Glass"
  • The glasses will start at $499 with the option for prescription lenses at an extra cost
  • There will be displays in both lenses that can be interacted with using gestures
  • The glasses will rely on a paired iPhone, similar to the original Apple Watch
  • An early prototype featured LiDAR and wireless charging
  • Apple originally planned to unveil the glasses as a "One More Thing" surprise at its iPhone event in the fall, but restrictions on in-person gatherings could push back the announcement to a March 2021 event
  • Apple is targeting a late 2021 or early 2022 release
Apple is also rumored to be working on a more traditional AR/VR headset that resembles Facebook's Oculus Quest, with previous reports suggesting that the headset will be released prior to the glasses. Earlier this year, a leaked build of iOS 14 revealed a new app codenamed "Gobi" that Apple appears to be using to test new augmented reality experiences.

Prosser also claimed that this year's iPhone event could be held in October, rather than September as usual, due to the global health crisis. Multiple analysts including Ming-Chi Kuo and Jeff Pu have indicated that the highest-end 6.7-inch iPhone 12 Pro Max might not be available to order until October due to supply chain disruptions.

Article Link: 'Apple Glass' Rumored to Start at $499, Support Prescription Lenses, and More

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
Whoa... this is much sooner than expected. Feels false... also I hope that neither of these glasses is how the final product will look. Frankly I'm hoping Apple invents a new style for glasses that becomes vogue because modern glasses all look terrible to my tastes.

Also, now that the name has been leaked, I think we can all agree it's terrible and must therefore be the fake name, or else was the name but is no longer now that it has been leaked, so hopefully we get something with a great name.

iSee would be a million times better... anyone got any better names?

Apple iSight!

Bring back the name! iSight is back in a new form!

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I'm looking forward to this because I expect similar to Apple Watch, style and design will be incredibly personal. Meaning I can get half-frame or hipster style or wood or whatever else is in style. Glasses are even more fashionable than watches as far as personalization so I expect apple to give us a lot of options.

iLoveDeveloping

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
That’s a lot of details about an unreleased Apple device!! Sounds pretty cool and at that price too sounds perfect I was expecting €1000 product! So ye, take my dam money Apple! Let’s go!!!! ? I just hope they have lots of frame options I have one of those weird no glasses actually suit me faces - It usually takes me an hour to pick a pair I even get close to liking, I usually have to just fork out the extra cash for rimless - but I’m guessing with this tech that wouldn’t be an option as electronics would need to be in the rims.

abrantes09

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2019
Whoa... this is much sooner than expected. Feels false... also I hope that neither of these glasses is how the final product will look. Frankly I'm hoping Apple invents a new style for glasses that becomes vogue because modern glasses all look terrible to my tastes.

Also, now that the name has been leaked, I think we can all agree it's terrible and must therefore be the fake name, or else was the name but is no longer now that it has been leaked, so hopefully we get something with a great name.

iSee would be a million times better... anyone got any better names?

Apple iSight!

Bring back the name! iSight is back in a new form!

They stopped with the "i" marketing for new products when the Apple Watch came out... don't get your hopes up.
And Jon Prosser is a very prominent leaker with crazy sources really high up the chain, believe what you hear. And the thumbnail is fake, its going to look like regular glasses as not to scare off the average consumer.

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
They'll have to come up with a use model that people want. Otherwise, like all things AR/VR, it's dead in the water.

I hope Apple pull it out the bag and make me actually see a use for them. At the moment I don’t think I would put on a pair of glasses unless I had to. Especially if it’s just notifications popping up in front of me or something similar.

I hadn't thought about non-glasses people but yeah, I can't see myself wanting to buy these if I didn't need glasses already. Fortunately since these can come with a prescription they will by default replace my current pair. That's an easy $1000 squeeze out of me that I can't really argue with. Why would I not want futuristic glasses that I can customize to be like regular glasses if a workplace environment deems these "too distracting".

Alon1

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
If this comes in the shape of an inconspicuous pair of sunglasses, with the information overplayed in AR on top of the actual lens (HUD style) without being seen from the outside, it might be interesting. I wouldn't want it if there are any visible screens or electronics involved though.

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
They stopped with the "i" marketing for new products when the Apple Watch came out... don't get your hopes up.
And Jon Prosser is a very prominent leaker with crazy sources really high up the chain, believe what you hear. And the thumbnail is fake, its going to look like regular glasses as not to scare off the average consumer.

Yeah well they should bring it back because the pun is too delicious.

But I suppose you're right and they'll go for something boring and modern Apple like...

 Sight

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.