Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
idk. I have a Nexus S and it has NFC. Don't see an Apple product with that. Sure, I agree that Touchwiz is an iOS clone. Samsung should HOPE that Apple wins at least that part, because Touchwiz STINKS

Certainly the hardware specs differ, but looking at a Samsung device is like looking like a tween girl trying her best to dress and do her hair like a favorite singer or actress. Touchwiz is the biggest offender here, but the Galaxy hardware looks alot like Apple hardware too. The "Nexus" line certainly differs.

I think people can agree innovate = patents. Some may object to the patents given out but still.
1 INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MACHINES CORP 4914
2 SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO LTD KR 3611
46 SAMSUNG SDI CO LTD KR 423

I don't think many would agree with you. Many patents are filed and then squatted on as the company cannot figure out how to implement them in a cost-effective manner and bring them to the consumer. Further, Samsung is far more than a mobile device manufacturer, they produce a much wider range of products than Apple and should have a much broader patent portfolio because of it (so should IBM since they are extremely diverse). Apple is a very focused company comparatively. So sheer volume of patents while one measure of innovation, is not (in my opinion) the end-all and be-all of measurements.

I would love to see the USPTO publish a measure of the number of patents actually implemented in the assignee's products. Since many of these big companies are essentially filing patent applications to stifle innovation of competitors (acting like a patent troll) or to use defensively when sued by other companies.

If you look at Nilay Patel's analysis of Samsung's countersuit with Apple you will see he refers to it as "anti-climatic". Why? Because in that vast war chest of patents that Samsung holds they only managed to find 10 rather poor patents that remotely read on Apple's product.

With patents, and with pretty much everything, "Quality" and "Quantity" can be two very different things.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Not a surprise.... as the 10.1 and 8.9 aren't out yet.....

http://www.infosyncworld.com/review...tab-10.1-release-date-now-official/11891.html

It's hard to sell things that haven't been released. It's like complaining about iPad 3 sales.

ipad 3 sales will be stellar. Galaxy tab 2 sales will be pathetic.

Yeah, it's sales are dismal, considering it won't be on sale till June 8th. :rolleyes:

What are they waiting for? They should at least try!

You can harp on the error in tense. But you can't change the meaning of the argument. Nice try at deflection. You lose.

So it is settled. Galaxy tablets are a failed product.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Seriously, how is a grid copying? Everything uses a grid (look at Windows XP or even 98 and icons are arranged in grids). Seriously, if it wasn't for the branding I would (and anyone would) have trouble differentiating some laptops (black plastic--is it an Acer, ASUS or MSI) they all look similar.

Home button is home button, not exactly something different.

Relax, Apple wants something, not sure what but they want something for less and this suit will get it for them. Its just how business is. Nothing new here unless you did not grow up in the 90's see all the lawsuit and other nasty happenings in the technology sector.

I will guess to say they want that retinal like screen that Samsung has but they want Samsung to make it to their specification and at a reduce price. :cool:

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

Galaxy tab 2? For someone who states that "version 2 is doing just as poorly", you don't even know what they're called.

Where are you getting your sales figures for this unreleased product?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134b Safari/6533.18.5)

juicedropsdeuce said:
Oh, Steve. You bully customers, you bully poorly paid Foxconn employees, you bully your vendors, and you bully your competitors.

It's the same strategy Apple's always had. Make boat-loads of money from great products, and try to corner the market while doing so.

You can apply to the courts for virtually anything. It all depends on whether you have a case. Seems in this instance Apple does. Welcome to democracy.

Last edited by a moderator:

mactree

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
I don't know what the final product looks like, but from this photo... look at that bottom bar, you can't tell me there's not another way to do that. They want the customers that refuse to buy apple products (but deep down secretly want them).

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA

What are they waiting for? They should at least try!

Well it does make sense, Apple is a Cult where Samsung is so far from that there really is no way for them to compete. Samsung makes great technology but they really don't have the people to make something that makes people not just want it but hold it like a religions artifact.

I for one think Samsung really can sell a lot of their product the way they wish they could because the Android market is so saturated and that is not really a good thing when it comes to having a cult following.

kwfl

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
That what happens when a us judge rules in a conflict between a US and non-US companies. unfair.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134b Safari/6533.18.5)

It would be nice if this time the legal system will actually punish those who rip off Apple. Finally.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
The only right thing to do! Samsung clearly doesnt know what the mainstream consumer wants, and is zero original.

That kind of blatant copying is shameful.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
That seems strangely generous to Apple - offering them access to unreleased Samsung products in case they might, maybe, infringe on Apple's patents/trademarks. That seems a little 'guilty until proven innocent' to me.

You can't really imagine anyone ordering Apple to hand over any of their unreleased products. In fact, one side-effect of this ruling might be that Apple may get even more obsessive about future product secrecy, thus giving competitors a potential chance to file for a preliminary injunction.

Samsung basically released the products to the press, and the products are being sold in part of the world already.

Might want to read the article next time. :rolleyes:

yourstation

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's samsung here who are obviously not originating. 1-0 apple, not even half time.

tzeshan

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2009
idk. I have a Nexus S and it has NFC. Don't see an Apple product with that. Sure, I agree that Touchwiz is an iOS clone. Samsung should HOPE that Apple wins at least that part, because Touchwiz STINKS

I will bet you that when Apple implemented NFC on iPhone/iPad, it will be different from Google Android implentation and those Apple copycats will quickly redesign their clones.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Well it does make sense, Apple is a Cult where Samsung is so far from that there really is no way for them to compete. Samsung makes great technology but they really don't have the people to make something that makes people not just want it but hold it like a religions artifact.

I for one think Samsung really can sell a lot of their product the way they wish they could because the Android market is so saturated and that is not really a good thing when it comes to having a cult following.

That's all you got? The cult thing again?

Samsung makes great parts for ipads an other devices. No one is knocking their ability to make quality parts and products.

Galaxy tab 2? For someone who states that "version 2 is doing just as poorly", you don't even know what they're called.

Oh man you don't know the galaxy tablet shipped a few million over a period of several months?

Well here is an update. At the end of last year it was announced that 2 or 3 million (lets say 3) units were shipped. Version 2 was supposed to be released already. But apparently it has been delayed. So I looked into it. Apparently through april, 6 million units have been shipped.

Compare this to the ipad 2 that sold 1 million the first weekend. Now you can see why I call it a failed product. I'll just call it a slow mover if it makes you feel better though.

And no if they changed the name I don't know what it is nor do I care. I'm not interested in buying one.

yourstation

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
How can you not see that Apple should have a right to defend it's own innovations? And as for Microsoft back in the day they just STOLE ideas and even blatant code in early Windows. What can we 'learn' from that? That it is OK?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

We have a case of the real innovator capitalizing on their position within the limits of the law.

I fail to understand what's wrong with that.

If Samsung doesn't like it they should have released something better than the iPad before anyone else. Oh well.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Oh man you don't know the galaxy tablet shipped a few million over a period of several months?

Well here is an update. At the end of last year it was announced that 2 or 3 million (lets say 3) units were shipped. Version 2 was supposed to be released already. But apparently it has been delayed. So I looked into it. Apparently through april, 6 million units have been shipped.

Compare this to the ipad 2 that sold 1 million the first weekend. Now you can see why I call it a failed product. I'll just call it a slow mover if it makes you feel better though.

And no if they changed the name I don't know what it is nor do I care. I'm not interested in buying one.

How on earth does that babble answer this?

EDIT: All I wan't is Galaxy Tab 2 sales figures. Can you show us as you mentioned how poorly it was selling earlier?

No iPad 1 sales figures.
No iPad 2 sales figures.
No (7 inch) GalaxyTab sales figures.

Just Galaxy Tab 2 sales figures. Thanks!

sciwizam

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
That's all you got? The cult thing again?

Link please? Your version of "reality" is not a source.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Samsung should hold apple hostage by not producing anymore chips and lcds

Lol

Mac-Rumours

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

DroidRules said:
Some of you are sooo funny. I had a PDA that had a home button, Apple copied that. It also had a screen that you could touch, Apple copied that. It had a power button.... yep, you guessed it Apple copied it.

Apple is rediculous and I hope they lose every BS lawsuit they file. (As is my hope with any BS lawsuit.)

I'd ban you for that.
Lol for what? Stating the truth that stevo isn't a very healthy person?

Love it, posts been up 2 minutes and I have 2 negatives lol..... Fan on Fanboys! Sometimes the truth hurts, especially with you poor poor fanboys.

Did your PDA look almost exactly like the iPhone - both hardware and software?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.