MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

As more reactions come in, Apple's stock has dropped in the setting of downgrades by at least one financial analyst from Oppenheimer & Co. Businessweek's Arik Hesseldahl hopes that this might mean that Apple could show up at CES, though this would go against Apple's reasoning that trade shows are simply less important.

Gizmodo reports that Apple had been planning to get out of Macworld for a long time.
They almost quit in 2002, but about two years ago I was sharing some wine with a friend from Apple and he told me: "We are going to phase out all trade shows". "Even MacWorld?," I asked. "Yes," he said, "MacWorld will go too. I don't know when, but it will."
Readers may remember that Apple pulled out of Macworld Boston in 2002 due to disagreements with the show's organizer IDG. The Macworld Boston show was cancelled soon after.

Article Link: Apple Had Long Planned to Leave Macworld

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Gotta love it. One of the major papers here in Denmark just posted an article on their webpage stating that "Steve Jobs is dying"..

O_O

Gotta love rumors. But this Steves health thing is getting out of hand.

Comment

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
This reasoning makes no sense considering Apple already had the biggest booths set up for this years MWSF.. If they were getting out why would they have the largest presence there ?.

Comment

stukdog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
I see Macworld Boston pointed to quite often as the future of MWSF. That may be true, but I will say one thing. The Mac is much more popular now than it was in 2002. MUCH more.

I could see MWSF just scaled down but still acting as a yearly meet up of Mac vendors and users.

Comment

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
This was to be expected. Apple likely felt exploited by IDG, and felt even more so when requested concessions weren't met. WWDC is Apple's event, not a trade show, so it will likely continue along the same line as "Special Events" do.

Comment

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
I would think that WWDC would still be on.

This whole thing makes sense to me and I'm actually pretty surprised it hasn't been done before this. For the last few years people have been disappointed with MWSF and I'm sure Apple has felt the pressure to release something that might not have been quite ready for release just because its January and everyone wants something new.

This wont end press releases in general if they have some new product to show and I think the WWDC will still be on because it is a completely different kind of beast than the people who show up for MWSF.

Comment

ebrunn

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
lol at downgrading a stock over this. Major buying opportunity if it continues to fall.

Comment

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
This reasoning makes no sense considering Apple already had the biggest booths set up for this years MWSF.. If they were getting out why would they have the largest presence there ?.

Go out on a high note, whenever possible.

Comment

alphaod

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Apple has everything planned out don't they?

Damn this is just Apple wanting control of their own events. Kind of selfish methinks.

Comment

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Here's the truth.

Stop panicking, the truth is he wanted a raise for his salary. $2. a year. They said no, and that started the avalanche of bad karma all around.

Comment

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Apple has everything planned out don't they?

Damn this is just Apple wanting control of their own events. Kind of selfish methinks.

Or perhaps they were tired of the exploitation and lack of appreciation. Aside from the iPhone expo (2007), most January events have been highly criticized for lack of expected products and living up to hype. People held out buying during the holidays because of this event. Dropping the MW Expo will bring a level of sanity and equilibrium for their product announcements to some extent.

Comment

dirtbones

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2008
New Product Release

It seems to me that Apple may just be looking to get out of having to release a product every year at the beginning of January. They may have just decided that they wanted total control over the time line for new product releases.

Comment

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
IMHO. If there were no problems with Job's health he would do the responsible CEO thing and do an interview with a tech site. But he hasn't. Either he doesn't care that Apple stock is going down because of this news or he can't.

Comment

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
I hope Apple isn't becoming just another impersonal and greedy corporation locked inside their ivory tower.

To me, the expo's were the major thing that stood out with Apple, they didn't expect customers to "come to them," but went out and interacted with people.

I realize the developers will still meet, but a Mac convention without Apple seems weird... That's like a Star Trek convention with no trekkies (sp?) lol.

People held out buying during the holidays because of this event. Dropping the MW Expo will bring a level of sanity and equilibrium for their product announcements to some extent.
And boost sales during the holidays at least 20% probably! There is economic motivation here, I don't think it has anything to do with simply NOT wanting to be there.

Comment

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
IMHO. If there were no problems with Job's health he would do the responsible CEO thing and do an interview with a tech site. But he hasn't. Either he doesn't care that Apple stock is going down because of this news or he can't.

I couldn't agree more. He'd better either make a surprise appearance, or he'd better do an interview IN PERSON asap. I'm still wondering how I'd react if I found out Jobs were dead. But let's focus on the positives, shall we? ;)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.