Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
I'd check the link but, again, it's blocked - lucky me.

Well I suppose they technically did win it before they could buy it - they just aren't allowed to pick them up yet. ;)

Either way it's still a free iPhone and I'd take it in a heart beat.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Oh yes, that's what it is. They are simply lying about it even tho people around here actually have them from the radio station.

See the post above. they were giving away $300 AT&T gift cards.

arn

SlapMonkey

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
Oh yes, that's what it is. They are simply lying about it even tho people around here actually have them from the radio station. This isn't some crappy, hobo radio station guys - this one of (if not the largest) clear channel radio stations in the entire country. They had an entire security detail there at the station when they were giving these things away. What is so hard to believe about that? Radio stations get tons of crap before anybody else can buy it and they give them away. This station has PS3's before you buy them, XBox 360s, Wii, you name it, they had it. This is a huge business and if you're unaware the FCC actually has false advertisement restrictions so when you say "the brand new iPhone 3G that doesn't go on sale until the 11th of July" you can't give people a version 1 phone... Good grief...

Good grief is right, you must have missed my post right above yours.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Oh yes, that's what it is. They are simply lying about it even tho people around here actually have them from the radio station. This isn't some crappy, hobo radio station guys - this one of (if not the largest) clear channel radio stations in the entire country. They had an entire security detail there at the station when they were giving these things away. What is so hard to believe about that? Radio stations get tons of crap before anybody else can buy it and they give them away. This station has PS3's before you buy them, XBox 360s, Wii, you name it, they had it. This is a huge business and if you're unaware the FCC actually has false advertisement restrictions so when you say "the brand new iPhone 3G that doesn't go on sale until the 11th of July" you can't give people a version 1 phone... Good grief...

To: bigmc6000 - READ
Nope, did not happen. They were NOT giving away actual iPhone 3Gs. If you look at the rules on their site, they were giving away AT&T gift cards for the upcoming iPhone 3G and misleading the public by calling the contest "Win It Before You Can Buy It." Here's the link:
http://imgsrv.jackontheweb.com/image/kjkk/UserFiles/File/iPhone3G_Giveaway_Rules.pdf

Good grief is right, you must have missed my post right above yours. You are either very ignorant or very gullible.

Or both

eyephone

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
Wow

Well, I guess this means that they are going to release iTunes 7.7, iPhone Software 2.0, and the iPhone 3g simultaneously?

Wheww, that is brave. Servers will be LOCKED up. :apple:

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Well at least that's settled. Sorta.

I guess the last questions are launch logistics (time, activation issues, etc. ) and when the rest of the developers get their cert.

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Umm, yes it is possible. They were giving away iPhone 3Gs and no it's not a scam. Are you kidding me???

It's one of the largest metropolitan areas in then entire country ya don't think that maybe, just maybe Apple wants to increase awareness in DFW by giving a few to the most popular station in the state of Texas?

I'd look it up for you but 1061KissFm is blocked here at work...

But no, it's not a scam, it's not the current generation and yes, it's 100% possible because it actually happened... *rolls eyes*

You're suggesting that Apple, since they need to improve awareness on the gadget that everyone knows about, is going to give 50 units of the most wanted gadget on the planet ... to an old-media establishment like a radio station? Radio is dying, my friend. They don't have sway anymore. People read the internet. There are better venues Apple could choose to improve awareness.

That's like Tom Cruise promoting his latest action flickr at the 7-Eleven. Apple and radio stations aren't even in the same league.

Apple doesn't need to improve awareness. The iPhone is bigger than any radio station. Apple is going to sell every 3G iPhone without giving any of them away. Because it's the friggin iPhone and everyone knows about it and everybody wants it, and they don't need some podunk failing media establishment to sell them.

Summarization: radio is dying, the iPod killed it, and it's laughable to suggest Apple needs radio to help them sell iPhones.

jmccray

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Apple TV

Do they still need to update Apple TV to reflect mobile me accounts instead of .mac?

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Well, I guess this means that they are going to release iTunes 7.7, iPhone Software 2.0, and the iPhone 3g simultaneously?

Wheww, that is brave. Servers will be LOCKED up. :apple:

Not to mention iPhoto, iMovie, OSX 10.5.4, ATV Update, iWeb?, and any other .Mac Apps. All need MobileMe, right?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I was saying this was fact yesterday when everyone was freaking out about either the app store coming out early or not coming out at all. I guess I should have cited my sources other than saying "Steve Jobs said so." I hope everyone calms down now.

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
Summarization: radio is dying, the iPod killed it, and it's laughable to suggest Apple needs radio to help them sell iPhones.

I wouldn't be so quick to declare radio dead - last time I checked your iPod doesn't give you traffic updates (I have an iPhone and no, google traffic is way behind compared to the radio updates), weather updates (again, iPhone, not really that great since it doesn't even give % chance of rain), news, etc. In fact I know of only 1 person who doesn't listen to the radio on their drive into work. Now most people don't sit around and listen to the radio when they are at home or listen to it at work - that's where the iPod excels but in terms of the daily commute, Radio is by far still #1 and it's not even close.

Considering the listening audience for the particular station I'm talking about I'd say they get far more exposure by giving some to Kiss FM than they did for giving one to Stephen Colbert...

Apple *needs* radio to help them just as much as they *need* TV advertisements...

And yes, I saw the link saying they were giving away certificates - my bad :)

B. Hunter

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2005
Pacific Northwest
.Mac for me has been sloooooooooooooooooow the past couple of days. Especially iWeb. If anything I would like to see MobileMe released first.
Like others have said, releasing everything in one day is a lot to cover.
Who knows. We might be surprised either way.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I wouldn't be so quick to declare radio dead - last time I checked your iPod doesn't give you traffic updates (I have an iPhone and no, google traffic is way behind compared to the radio updates), weather updates (again, iPhone, not really that great since it doesn't even give % chance of rain), news, etc. In fact I know of only 1 person who doesn't listen to the radio on their drive into work. Now most people don't sit around and listen to the radio when they are at home or listen to it at work - that's where the iPod excels but in terms of the daily commute, Radio is by far still #1 and it's not even close.

Considering the listening audience for the particular station I'm talking about I'd say they get far more exposure by giving some to Kiss FM than they did for giving one to Stephen Colbert...

Apple *needs* radio to help them just as much as they *need* TV advertisements...

And yes, I saw the link saying they were giving away certificates - my bad :)

Sure, during commutes radio wins. However, for traffic information mobile devices could do way more then radio ever could. Only a question of time before the iPhone (or other devices) have advanced real time traffic information and will help you navigate around traffic with GPS.

You can't compare Colbert to a 1 state radio station. They don't even come close in ratings. Not sure if Apple really did give Colbert a 3G iPhone, but if they did its a smart move, Colbert has a huge following. Hell, they are naming a spider after him LOL.

Sure, Apple needs TV ... but sure as hell doesn't need radio. If Apple wanted to increase exposure by contests before the release of the device, they sure as hell aren't going to use a radio station. Not to mention, I have a hard time believing Apple would want 3G iPhones released to the general public before July 11th. (in any fashion)

DaveDaveDave

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2006
I'd check the link but, again, it's blocked - lucky me.

Well I suppose they technically did win it before they could buy it - they just aren't allowed to pick them up yet. ;)

Either way it's still a free iPhone and I'd take it in a heart beat.

Dude, you just edited this WHOLE post, didn't you? Don't worry about your handle - I won't plonk you ;) - but I'm never listening to a ClearChannel station again ;)

Cheers,
Dave

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
I wouldn't be so quick to declare radio dead

I definitely would.

last time I checked your iPod doesn't give you traffic updates (I have an iPhone and no, google traffic is way behind compared to the radio updates)

Great, so what you're saying is Radio is perfect for the 5 minute traffic report, and then you can go back to listening to music you picked yourself instead of some mega corporation? Oh wait, what about this?

weather updates (again, iPhone, not really that great since it doesn't even give % chance of rain)

Almost forgot weather. Because I can't get chance of rain on my iPhone. (FYI precipitation = chance of rain).

Haha. Yeah, right. There's absolutely no way to get news on the iPhone.

Seriously, I've just googled "iphone traffic report", "iphone weather" and "iphone news" and found those. Surely you know how to use Google. And even if people don't have an iPhone, your whole argument on why this music radio station is relevant is because of their non-music segments. Kinda ironic, don't ya think? Kiss1061 is relevant because they can recite weather and news you can get from other sources? How sad! Anyways, once people get to work, they just browse the internet, read news, myspace, etc. So is radio really that crucial when almost everyone has internet access?

In fact I know of only 1 person who doesn't listen to the radio on their drive into work. Now most people don't sit around and listen to the radio when they are at home or listen to it at work - that's where the iPod excels but in terms of the daily commute, Radio is by far still #1 and it's not even close.

Ah, the old "everyone I know is doing it". Not a sound logical argument.

Less people are listening to the radio, you know it, I know it. It was an exciting media in the 40's, and it's day has come and past.

Yeah, I'm sure that's why Richard Dawkins, Michelle Obama, Larry King, John Kerry, Sean Penn, Mike Huckabee, Ron Paul, Toby Keith, Judd Apatow and Barry Manilow were all interviewed at Kiss1061FM instead of the Colbert Report. Oh wait! They weren't. They were interview on the Colbert Report because no one has heard of Kiss1061FM outside of Texas.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Man would I love to be a reviewer and have my hands on the iPhone 3G now. I'm jealous.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
Ever notice that 611 is 911 upside down.......? Make of it what you will!:eek:

what is 611 had to do with any thing?

if you were referring to 7/11 when the iphone will be release, then you are off by a month...

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I wonder if there is any chance that MobileMe will be released earlier than July 11th. I am just so excited to play with it. If it turns out to be really good I will upgrade my account to a family pack and make sure everyone in my family uses it!

hellodon

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
I wonder if there is any chance that MobileMe will be released earlier than July 11th. I am just so excited to play with it. If it turns out to be really good I will upgrade my account to a family pack and make sure everyone in my family uses it!

Cool story, Hansel.

lorinserbenz

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2007
Wow, for once Apple is making a mistake. There sales expectations on the first Iphone fell short. What makes them think they will sell MORE of a model that does not offer much more than the first one??

Typical arrogant Apple attitude...

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
So what about all of the 3G phones that are "being seeded to reviewers" and have already been shipped to stores? What build of OS 2.0 are they running if the OS is still in development, with the GM build declared tomorrow?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.