Apple Has Delayed Some Planned iOS 12 Features Until Next Year to Focus on Performance and Quality

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 30, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has changed its iOS software plans, and will now delay some new features until next year to focus on addressing performance and quality issues, according to Ina Fried, chief technology correspondent at Axios.

[​IMG]

The report claims Apple's software engineering chief Craig Federighi announced the revised plans to employees at a meeting earlier this month.

Fried says a number of features have been delayed until 2019, including a planned refresh of the iPhone home screen and CarPlay interface, improvements to core apps like Mail, and updates to capturing, editing, and sharing photos.

The delay should allow Apple to focus on stability and bug fixes in iOS 12, which will likely still include improvements in a number of areas, including the Health app, ARKit, and parental controls, according to the report.

In addition, Apple is said to be prioritizing work to make iPhones "more responsive" and "less prone to cause customer support issues."

Article Link: Apple Has Delayed Some Planned iOS 12 Features Until Next Year to Focus on Performance and Quality

2. abi12a macrumors newbie

abi12a

Vague, a lot of new features in 11.3, so they are ditching those?

3. mlody macrumors 6502a

Since we do not know what features were expected in iOS12, this article is saying nothing.

4. GTO Suspended

GTO

Got to give them credit....they are churning out updates at a pretty high clip these days to try and squash as many of these big bugs as possible.

5. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

Gotta love an overarching statement that only exists to stir the pot

6. MLVC macrumors 6502a

MLVC

My God, they call anything a report these days, don't they

7. apolloa, Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018

apolloa macrumors G4

This is the second time Apple have been said to focus on bugs like this.... under Cooks watch iOS has had more bugs then ever before!

http://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/report-ios-9-will-focus-mainly-on-stability-and-performance/%3famp=1

http://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/9to5mac.com/2015/02/09/apples-ios-9-to-have-huge-stability-and-optimization-focus-after-years-of-feature-additions/amp/

Is Cook and co’s idea of iOS releases now one buggy and messy with new features followed by one with no new features but fixes the bugs of the previous release and so on?

8. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Ina is usually well-sourced. I believe it, and if proven true I'm glad Apple has made this decision. Software is really lacking at the moment.

9. b-dogg macrumors regular

I agree. I really wish they’d do the same with OSX. I few there’s no need for yearly update. Anyone remember Snow Leopard?! Desktop should be rock solid. There’s way too many bells and whistles being added at the expense of stability.

10. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

11. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

Great so ios 12 will bring nothing new to the x so much needs to be changed

12. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

iCloud Messages is long overdue. Using iMessages on iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple Watch is a pain, especially deleting messages on the watch.

For those who manually manage their music library, it’s been hugely buggy ever since iTunes Match rolled out, and hasn’t gotten better with Apple Music. If you turn on auto-download on all devices, listen to a song with your phone and then sync to your Mac or PC, the playcount doesn’t update. You have to turn off auto-download, then sync the song from the phone to iTunes, or vice versa. Playlists sometimes get duplicated when edited in iTunes, iBooks syncing is always removing books, asking for updates to books that have been updated numerous times... iBooks worked better when integrated with iTunes.

Lots of nagging little things like this that never seem to get ironed out.

13. justiny Contributor

justiny

Soon, Apple’s entire product line on their website will just read “Coming later this year”.

14. Rychiar macrumors 6502

Rychiar

What bugs? Mine works great. I WANT DARK MODE!!! Who comes out with an OLED phone and still keeps their messaging obnoxiously white

15. apolloa macrumors G4

My iPad Pro and iPhone and Apple Watch are all buggy or laggy under the current versions of software! And let’s not forget, software is the one thing Apple makes ENTIRELY on their own! It is purely their own fault it’s buggy.

And it’s getting a bit tireing to update at least once a week! And it’s still buggy!

Yes I am a disgruntled user!

16. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

That way they can sell a new iPhone SE with a notch and Face ID to get iMessage in the cloud and multiple users settings for Face ID, battery / performance switch and start alerting users that support for 64 bit apps will be ending soon for future 128 bit iOS versions.

17. MrGuder macrumors 68030

Wait, you mean no more new animojis? It's not fair!!:eek:

18. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I never minded the skeuomorphic design, and iOS 6 was the most stable version of iOS, I believe. The flat design of iOS is not helped by the bugs and some things like 3D Touch and long presses offer features that are hidden and not very obvious. I think some of the recent features of iOS would be helped by the old skeuomorphic look and feel.

19. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

You update your software once a week? Are you on betas?

20. Nikhil72 macrumors 65816

If iOS 11.3 is any indication, I’m thinking this behind the scenes improvement is already underway because 11.3 is pretty wonderful even in its first beta iteration. I’m 100% okay with this plan; in addition, the little tidbits of upcoming features that were delayed are completely okay in my mind to be delayed (the article was updated to note a refreshed home screen and some other things). Get the core function restored and then slowly add features.

I know this is controversial, but I’ve been 100% okay with the fact that Apple delayed iCloud messages and AirPlay 2 to 11.x releases this year, as they should; get them working 100% before release. But they’re in a damned if they do and damned if they don’t position where people (mainly techies like on this website) will hammer them if they don’t push new features (“oh good, i’m glad they wasted their time on new emojis” <<insert eye roll here>>) and hammer them if they do and they’re half done. What they need to not do is preannounce these features; things don’t have to be exciting up front. Trickle down excitement is just as good in my books.

21. Naaaaak macrumors 6502

I’d be happy if Airdrop worked consistently between my iMac and iPhone. One detects one, but not the other. “Search for an older Mac” (on a 2015 model — not exactly old) sometimes works.

22. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

Reminds of my wife's unhappy face after iOS 10 to 11 update: "This looks so childish, unclear and simplistic."

23. Xavier macrumors 68030

Messages in iCloud is coming so this is fine with me.

24. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Whether you like so-called skeuomorphic or so-called flat design is subjective. None of the issues I have with my iOS devices have anything to do with the look of the UI.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 30, 2018 ---
    What changed design wise between iOS 10 and 11?

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think at face value, this is good news. I'd rather have a solid OS that is stable and fast, rather then adding features willy-nilly. Perhaps Apple is circling back to clean up and tighten old code before moving forward.