Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has considered developing several new wearable devices over the years, including a smart ring for health and fitness, smart glasses, and upgraded AirPods with built-in cameras and more sensors, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

samsung-galaxy-ring.jpg
Samsung's upcoming Galaxy Ring

Below, we recap what Gurman shared about these devices in his Power On newsletter today.

Smart Ring

A few years ago, Apple's industrial design team presented the idea of a "smart ring" focused on health and fitness features to executives on the company's health team, according to Gurman. However, he said Apple is not actively developing the finger-worn device at this time, so it is unclear if it will ever be released.

Gurman said the ring could be a lower-cost alternative to the Apple Watch that could sync health and fitness data with a paired iPhone. It would compete with products like the Oura Ring and Samsung's upcoming Galaxy Ring.

Smart Glasses

It has long been rumored that Apple eventually hopes to release advanced AR glasses based on its Vision Pro headset. In the meantime, Gurman said the company has considered developing a "less ambitious" pair of smart glasses that would compete with the likes of Meta's Ray-Ban Smart Glasses and Amazon's Echo Frames.

Apple has discussed creating glasses that would serve as an "AirPods replacement," with built-in speakers, cameras, health sensors, and AI capabilities, according to Gurman. The glasses are in a "technology investigation" stage within Apple's hardware engineering division, he said, so it sounds like a release is still far off.

AirPods With Cameras

Apple engineers last year started exploring how to fit low-resolution camera sensors into AirPods, according to Gurman. If ever released, he believes these AirPods could offer AI features that "assist people in their daily routines."

Article Link: Apple Has 'Explored' a Smart Ring, Glasses, and AirPods With Cameras

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: japanime

Marco Klobas

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2017
Italy
A slightly wider ring featuring a wrapped display in order to give notifications and a minimal interaction beyond the usual health/fitness use would be nice, IMO.

Assuming it would be possible to place components, sensors and a proper lasting battery inside it, of course.

I wonder if the Apple Watch will develop in the future toward a smart bracelet form.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I’m sure there’s a whole lot more technology stuff that Apple is looking at…

AirPods with camera? To look into your ears for what exactly?

And glasses, sure but remember how the Google glasses were perceived?

DomDomonom

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2024
London, UK
I’d pick up meta glasses style Apple glasses in a second. Device switching and general ecosystem hooks like notification announcements and battery info, better camera quality (I imagine Apple would be able to pull something off better with their experience and software), being able to use an Apple Watch as a viewfinder (reviewers of the meta glasses often mentioned framing was difficult) and probable Siri improvements with iOS 18 would make the experience of the current hardware available so much better. I hope they don’t wait until heads-up displays are mature enough as that’s probably years away, but the hardware seems mature for a great meta type glasses experience.

It would also probably help normalise smart glasses well before displays are feasible

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
How is it that XReal produces such compelling and “future forward” products (True AR glasses with displays, hand tracking, 6DoF, etc.) yet Apple is “exploring” glasses with no AR, and ONLY have cameras and speakers? Based on this I believe Apple has peaked and genuinely has no sense of direction or any unique/game changing products in the pipeline. AirPods with cameras?? (How would it work with certain hairstyles and lengths?) A Home Pod with a screen?? A smart ring?? Where are the REVOLUTIONARY products?

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
I’d pick up meta glasses style Apple glasses in a second. Device switching and general ecosystem hooks like notification announcements and battery info, better camera quality (I imagine Apple would be able to pull something off better with their experience and software), being able to use an Apple Watch as a viewfinder (reviewers of the meta glasses often mentioned framing was difficult) and probable Siri improvements with iOS 18 would make the experience of the current hardware available so much better. I hope they don’t wait until heads-up displays are mature enough as that’s probably years away, but the hardware seems mature for a great meta type glasses experience.

It would also probably help normalise smart glasses well before displays are feasible

DomDomonom

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2024
London, UK
I’m sure there’s a whole lot more technology stuff that Apple is looking at…

AirPods with camera? To look into your ears for what exactly?

And glasses, sure but remember how the Google glasses were perceived?
I reckon google glasses were far ahead of their time, the cameras out everywhere is more normalised now than it was a decade ago. There have been other products since and now that people aren’t making a big stink about. I also think the more normal form that current smart glasses come in plus the more prominent recording lights you can’t block, are far less off putting and noticeable than that Star Trek-esque product. Things Apple puts on the market, there’s always initial people making fun of it, then it’s normal by the following year.

Last edited:

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
no one wants to face the reality that we've already hit peak everything. but shareholders want to see infinite growth still so everyone's trying to sell literal junk under the guise of "innovation"
What makes you think that we’ve hit “peak everything”, against the experience of thousands of years of continuous (and accelerated) evolution?

DomDomonom

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2024
London, UK
Aye, that’s a great product, but it’s not something you can wear the whole day and go about your life with, it’s a different use case. The closest thing in my mind is what vuse and tcl are doing with waveguide displays, but the FOV, resolution and colours not to mention extra bulk I imagine Apple won’t consider mature enough. even if I think they’re enough for basic information as a heads up display for notifications and controls, I reckon they’ll wait till they’re good enough for media consumption and AR.

Reactions: Alex Cai and styymy

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Whining, whining, whining.
These are all in the exploratory stage, that does not mean any of them will come to market.

They really have no idea about the future do they
They also didn’t know about the future in January 2001.
Then, the very next month, they were introduced to a small Toshiba harddrive, and out of that came the iPod just a short eight months later.

Sometimes it takes years to find the next big thing, sometimes it falls right into their lap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.