Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
The article IF true is showing that the direction of the R&D department is being misguided. Just look at what other companies are “trying”. Lenovo just showed off “Project Crystal” a laptop with a transparent microLED screen, and XReal has true AR glasses, that can go from fully transparent to “sunglasses”, and have a BETTER battery life than Apple Vision Pro. Apple is to playing it safe and no longer, THINKS DIFFERENT.

The mistake your making is assuming the article represents the sum total of apple’s research.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Not expecting to see an entirely new product from Apple at least for the next 2 to 3 years. A smart ring will be a few years away and the Smart glasses are definitely many years away. AirPods with cameras are something that can be released quicker than the other two.

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
I think the idea of a standalone smart ring device seems redundant. On the other...hand... I think if it was a supplement to the phone/watch that might give more accurate/different health information for say $129, I might be interested. I don't need more notification dings or buzzes. I don't need another screen no matter how small. But if it could measure something more accurately that is already being measured or some other thing? Maybe ambient temperature? Now I'm listening.

deepspacecowboy

Suspended
Jan 1, 2024
What is strange is that you wear an Apple Watch to know certain metrics and arguably, partially “obsess over”. There are millions of people around the world that workout and have ZERO data about themselves at any point during their day, workout included.

Oddly, you take your Apple Watch off because you find it overwhelming, when you can simply control the information and notifications to limit being “overwhelmed”. There are settings for this. Who is in control in your situation, you or your Apple Watch?
You certainly read a lot into my post and jumped to all sorts of arguably defensive conclusions.

Did you perhaps miss this line in my post? Let me repeat it for you. "I see some value in wearables"

Please show me where I wrote that I take my Apple Watch off because I find it overwhelming. That's laughable. There's nothing overwhelming about the Apple Watch.

I don't have any interest in notifications on my wrist or 90% of the features the Watch offers. Let me bold it for you, just in case you still don't get it. I'm not overwhelmed. I'm not interested.

I find value in knowing my heart rate when I'm working out, especially cardio. I also love the ability to control my music. Beyond that, I have very little interest in anything the Watch has to offer. My post, however, wasn't really about the Watch but wearables in general and how it isn't mentally healthy to obsess over all of this data. There's a world of difference between using a device to monitor one's heart rate or speed, etc. while training versus tracking every possible metric day to day, comparing them, reading into them, worrying about them, etc.

Last edited:

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I’ve never really got the point of smart rings. So many trade offs compared to a watch, with what advantage? Are there a lot of people who like wearing rings and hate wearing watches? Seems like a solution in search of a problem to me.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
They really have no idea about the future do they
At least Gurman’s wording narrative, however it came to be (skeptic me believes Apple sometimes has a hand here), reads almost backported; like trying to make us think that they haven’t been caught off guard.
He flashes the “AI” term as we currently know it for all these products, but this wasn’t a thing until very recently (OpenAI showed and became the craze barely a year and change ago)…

What makes you think that we’ve hit “peak everything”, against the experience of thousands of years of continuous (and accelerated) evolution?
At least there hasn’t been any new major infrastructure landmark like a Golden Gates or an Empire State, maybe some high tech coming factories here and there, but in general cities can barely keep their current streets patched up from getting covered with holes.

No next step above Concorde era of flying, no “the next Turing Machine” analog, car or even proper movie idea that’s not a rewrite and remake.

Most things today feel iterative imo, (and nothing wrong with that really).
The ideas from 50 or a 100 years ago: some have been rehashed and some enhanced orders of magnitude higher (like computing power).
The blue LED as we know it is a very recent advancement (early 90s, before it wasn’t efficient or practical all), even though LEDs had been around forever (in tech timeline) in red and green form.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
At least there hasn’t been any new major infrastructure landmark like a Golden Gates or an Empire State, maybe some high tech coming factories here and there, but in general cities can barely keep their current streets patched up from getting covered with holes.

No next step above Concorde era of flying, no “the next Turing Machine” analog, car or even proper movie idea that’s not a rewrite and remake.

Most things today feel iterative imo, (and nothing wrong with that really).
The ideas from 50 or a 100 years ago: some have been rehashed and some enhanced orders of magnitude higher (like computing power).
The blue LED as we know it is a very recent advancement (early 90s, before it wasn’t efficient or practical all), even though LEDs had been around forever (in tech timeline) in red and green form.
Just to name something, we have a building which is twice the height of the Empire State. We don’t have the Concorde, but we have insanely cheap flights (to a level which I think no one would have predicted some years go). Not only that, but they’re incredibly safer. The phone evolved more in 10 years than the previous 30. I think predictions from Sci-fi are not aligned with what customers want; i.e. according to sci-fi we should have voice assistants for everything, but we don’t like to talk about our stuff in the tram, so smartphones are much more successful. If you zoom out, you’ll see how every generation believed the peak of X was reached, the past was better, etc.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
I own an Apple Watch, but only really wear it to bed (to sleep track) and to workout, I would love for Apple to release a fitness band or fitness ring. I prefer to wear more traditional timepieces to work so a fitness band or fitness ring would be amazing in my book. I'm quite surprised they don't already have one, considering one of their focuses on the health aspect of their devices.

On a side note: I'm a HUGE Apple fan, but am I the only one that feels like Apple has lost a lot of steam in their innovations. I feel like when Tim took over things started to slide and then when Jony left things have really slowed.

gbc204

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2011
I'll probably get an Oura ring since it's HSA covered now

Only thing that worries me is battery degradation. Sure it's good right out of the box, but that's a tiny battery.
Never heard of the Oura ring but definitely interested now. Ever since my Fitbit died, i haven't been able to find a simple health tracker. Even Fitbit doesn't make them anymore, and I don't want a smartwatch just to measure my exercise activity. Never even considered a ring. Sounds great to me.

Periwinkle85

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2024
I would love glasses with smart glass that adjusts to the distance of the object I’m looking at! Goodbye reading glasses and progressive lenses and new lenses every year!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.