Apple Has Finished Moving and Precisely Reassembling a Historic Barn At Its New Headquarters

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 13, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Matthew Roberts has uploaded his latest 4K drone tour of Apple Park, the company's new headquarters in Cupertino, California.

A limited number of Apple employees began moving into the new headquarters in April, but the video shows that construction is still well underway. Among the highlights are a closer look at the main circular building, Steve Jobs Theater, the visitor center across the street, and the overall landscaping.

Roberts also flew his drone over the historic Glendenning Barn, which Apple has now completely reassembled after carefully taking it down and pledging to move it to a new location due to construction of Apple Park.

[​IMG]

Glendenning Barn, a historic landmark in Cupertino, has been situated on Apple Park's property since the early twentieth century. After taking over the site of HP's previous campus, Apple reportedly dismantled the redwood barn piece by piece, including every plank, nail, and crossbeam, and made careful notes on its construction.

The drone video reveals that Apple has successfully recreated the barn, although a few of the redwood planks appear to be brightly colored, indicating they might not be original. Apple reportedly stockpiled redwood salvaged from an old grove in case any damaged planks needed to be replaced.

When finished, Apple Park will be surrounded by some 9,000 trees, with a large pond, walking trails, benches, and a fitness center for employees.

Article Link: Apple Has Finished Moving and Precisely Reassembling a Historic Barn At Its New Headquarters

2. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

3. Sunny1990, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017

Sunny1990 macrumors 65816

Sunny1990

2017 will be a great year for Apple. I think there will be quite a few keynotes at Steve Jobs theater, Hope it's ready by the iPhone 8 Launch. That will be interesting to watch ;-)

4. Jsameds Suspended

As a Brit, I find if funny how Americans refer to things built in the early 20th Century as 'historic' :D

5. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I think it makes sense for the iPhone launch to be in early October.

The Back to School promo is running until the end of September and the announcement is always after the promo.

Also, this gives them more time to work on the new campus for visitors and get over certain manufacturing hurdles of the phone.

6. kdarling, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

This and other articles make it sound like Apple itself took apart and reassembled the barn.

Instead, almost certainly a professional historic building moving company was used. I'd like to know who it was.

Conversely, IF indeed some Apple employees stopped working in order to carefully take apart, number, and then rebuild each plank, I'd like to see their story as well. Ditto if Apple hired say, a local historical society, to do it.

7. SwissGuy93 macrumors regular

Right? Was just thinking the same thing. But it think it is great that Apple did all that to preserve it. It really shows the difference a 100 years can make.

8. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 6502

H3LL5P4WN

I c wut u did thar.

9. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

The time and effort it would take to write notes for that ****ing barn. Sounds easier if they just picked the whole thing up.

10. autrefois macrumors 65816

autrefois

Fun fact: the historic barn was originally built the same year Apple last released a new Mac Mini.

11. iReality85 macrumors 6502

It'll look really good once the grass has grown.

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Does the historic barn host the Gateway Computer cows?

13. Scary Spice macrumors regular

Scary Spice

14. recoil80 macrumors 65832

As an italian I have to agree :)

But I like the mix between historical places and new buildings, so kudos to Apple to preserve the barn.

15. Kaibelf macrumors 68000

Kaibelf

"Slow news day" = People sometimes have other interests than you, and that's fine.

16. jonnyb macrumors 65816

If you "tear" something down, it's not likely you're going to be able to reconstruct it. Tearing is usually wanton and indiscriminate. I think they probably "carefully dismantled".

17. olisones macrumors regular

How do they get all the vehicles out of the centre bit of the spaceship?!

18. creepyTowel macrumors newbie

creepyTowel

I'm a Brit too, but historic doesn't have to mean "old". It means "important in history". Nine Eleven was a historic event. Now if they'd written "historical", that would be a different matter. (Someone should tell the BBC this -- they're constantly mixing up the meanings of both words.)

19. Jax44 macrumors 6502a

Jax44

Underground tunnel.

20. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

Even as a Yankee I also find that attribute of West Coasters amusing. Ran into a pizza shop in LA in the mid 60s with banner outside said "Proudly serving pizza in LA since 1958!"

ROFLCOPTER? ;)

21. AppleInLVX macrumors 6502a

AppleInLVX

Did they update the barn with chamfered edges?

/I keed...

22. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

The money spent on this should have been put toward developing a new MP Tower. :apple:

23. kemal macrumors 6502a

kemal

I like it when historic things are brought back. Next, bring back the historic Mac Pro modular tower.

24. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

25. Thunderhawks macrumors 601

WeMoveSheds.com/historic

Seriously, what would you do with that information?

Just wondering.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 13, 2017 ---
    No, made it a little thinner and took out all outlets.