Apple has guts...

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by WilliamG, Feb 1, 2015.

1. WilliamG macrumors 604

.... when it tells me the web page has encountered a problem and needs to be reloaded (iPhone 6 Plus).

It really should say:

"We ran out of RAM and so ALL pages need to be reloaded." Blaming the page itself is... uncool.

2. nightstalkerz macrumors 6502

It's not always a RAM problem when that happens.

Could just be a Safari crash so it needs a generic error to make themselves look good.

3. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

pages will reload after being purged from RAM without that message for me. i think that message is just for when errors occur in loading/rendering the page. i don't believe it's completely the page's fault but also bugs in safari not handling certain complexities and so on. but i don't think it's a RAM issue, even though that is a separate issue.

4. Linuxpro macrumors regular

Funny how only Safari does that, and only on my iPad, and never my iPhone. My laptop and desktop, never do.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Does the message really bother you? I mean we all know why, who cares how the OS presents the reloading tab.

6. GreyOS, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015

GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

I see it in Safari on my iPhone sometimes. Tabs on Chrome on OS X occasional crash and have to reload.

It's far better than the whole app crashing and closing, which I don't think I've seen for a long time. I'm very pleased to see crashes confined to tabs.

7. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

8. DC Wallaby macrumors regular

I've had this happen occasionally on Safari on OS X, on my iPad Mini, and on my iPhone. I'm by no means a technical person, but it seems to me to have nothing to do with running out of RAM (iOS Safari refresh without any error message for me in this case, and I've just learned to suck it up), and something to do with something going bad between the browser and the page itself.

And given that, when it happens to me, it's usually the same websites that cause the error message leads me to believe it's something to do with that site.

9. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

It doesn't seem like this is entirely true. I only have 4 apps (yes, four) which aren't running the background. Once in a while I'd get reload message.
    When I get this message, usually it's on facebook, and the only tab.
    That by itself throws your complain out of the window.

Do you have some iOS system debugger details and data that we don't know about?

10. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Why is it a RAM issue?

11. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Well you know since Android needs 3GB of Ram to run smoothly so should iOS!!!! :rolleyes:

13. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

This is not a thread about RAM. It's a thread about how ridiculous it is that Apple actually blames the web pages when the device runs out of RAM. I've had really, really simple pages give this error, and it's pretty much a daily occurrence when I browse for extended periods of time on my 6 Plus.

14. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I never thought about that. I can see where OP is coming from.

"You're going to the website wrong"

15. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Out of curiosity are you one of those guys who keeps like 25 tabs open?

16. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Chuckle :cool:
    The OP is so right when I think about it.
    I only see this on my iOS devices. :D

17. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I see this website closed notification frequently, and with only two or three tabs open. I've had to significantly alter my browsing habits since getting my 6+. Ironically for a phone with such a big screen, it handles browsing way worse than my old iPhone 5. I used to have many more tabs open on that device.

18. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

No, usually only 2 or 3 tabs.

----------

Yes, agreed.

19. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Ok, was just curious.

20. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

You know, other flagship phones have only 1gb of Ram and heck some windows phones use less then that even.

Edit: I could not think of any nevermind...

21. davidb8 macrumors regular

Even with only 1 tab and browsing the most basic websites I always get this message! Especially on iPad mini 2! Not so much on 6+ but it is very often.

Take it to the apple store and they tell you "it's a limitation of the device".

22. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

my macbook air with 4gb ram never has any page reload problems...
    can anyone clarify the issue for me?

23. davidb8 macrumors regular

Doesn't run on iOS 8.

24. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

+1

I've seen Safari performance all over the place. I've triggered page reloading with as little as 3 tabs. Other times it feels solid.

You want real frustration? Log into a gmail account using a private tab. Swap back to your non-private tab(s). It won't take long for that private tab to need to be refreshed which will trigger another logon page. I can "close" other programs and this still happens. But then, it starts to behave for a while. Maybe Safari does deserve some of the blame.

25. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Sometimes I wonder if Apple could have sqeased a higher performance A8 chip in the 6 Plus. Maybe not quite as powerful as the A8X, but at least an additional 1-2 GPU cores and 1.5-2GB of RAM. My 6 Plus is constantly purging programs and tabs left and right meanwhile my Air 2 has yet to purge a webpage or app unless I close the app from the multitasking window.

I have yet to really complain about the dropped frames on the down sampling but I think an extra GPU core or two would have helped. Of course the 6 Plus wouldn't have gotten as good of battery life as it does but I'd be willing to sacrifice some juice (if I could still get the battery life of my 5s I'd be happy).

Also for those wondering I only keep 4 tabs open in Safari on my devices, sometimes 5 but that's max. Apps running in the background are usually under 5 (with one being Music playing local content) because I usually terminate them once I'm done to save RAM.