Apple has PURPOSELY introduced lag/delay with Home Button interactions

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by d5aqoëp, Sep 14, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I7guy macrumors G5

I don’t think Apple will fix this as this is not broken. The “delay” was broken in 10.3.3 and for whatever reason Apple is keeping the ticket open. (At least this is my opinion)

As far as this thread more time was “wasted” in this thread than probably the total of all seconds for all idevices users “wasted” waiting for the “alleged delayed” closing animation to complete. It’s ironic there is no time to wait .1 second for a closing animation but plenty of time to write a post that takes 60-240 seconds.

2. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

Don't forget to factor in the time wasted waiting for the home button to respond... That's 59-239 seconds of time well spent on a forum. :cool:

3. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

The FIRST POST on this thread disagrees with the premise you are describing here. I suggest you re-read it.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2017 ---
    Just trying to get back on topic since Radeon87000 has completely derailed it.
    read the OP

4. Radon87000 macrumors 604

Well that’s a given at this point. I have used this slow home button for 2 months now. When I handled the X the thing was super fast. Everything was instant. Yes the quit app animation is much faster with no lag. App swiping along the bottom for app switching is super fast. The app exit in particular makes the iPhone with home buttons feel slow when they shouldn’t taking iOS 10 into consideration.

What that feedback entry being open proves is that Apple thinks this is valid feedback and needs to be looked into. This does not signal that the delay was a bug fix otherwise they would have close it a long time ago. 2 months to be precise

The 0.1 second is an annoyance. It’s obviously nothing to do with wasting time. It just makes the phone feel slow especially when you have an iOS 10 device at hand.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

So basically still no proof, as has been pointed out many times over 60+ pages, and still only conjectures, or which a variety can exist (be it about the reasons behind the potential change or about why the original bug/radar is still open).

6. Radon87000 macrumors 604

The home button has been slowed down exactly at a time when their flagship device launches with super fast gestures.

7. C DM, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

C DM macrumors Westmere

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

(I wonder how many times that has already came up in this thread alone. The dead horse remains dead no matter how many times it's beaten.)

8. I7guy macrumors G5

It proves Apple kept it open; anything else is conjecture.

It’s slow to you, real or imagined; not to me. The iPhone 8+ is fast and buttery smooth.

9. Radon87000 macrumors 604

This happens every time anew iPhone is released. There have been countless articles written on this. Heck here's one just written a day ago.

https://lifehacker.com/why-you-still-shouldn-t-download-ios-11-on-an-older-iph-1820122749

"So if you plan on holding onto an older iPhone for a while, you probably shouldn’t update. Just keep ignoring those prompts from Apple if you don’t want your phone’s performance to take a hit."

iOS 11 adoption has started lagging because of this. People are now finally getting wise to Apple's strategy.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...ent-lagging-10-9-iphone-ipad-operating-system
    Apple kept it open because of its nota bug fix. Or do they just keep these entries open for nothing?

Yes you are not noticing the delay but it's there. Here's a Reddit thread just posted some hours ago. There are many seeing the issue

https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comments/7bdjvt/homebutton_delay_ios_11/

Here's some more

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/78z7hn/ios_11_home_button_delay/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/75jcxi/any_fix_to_home_button_delay/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comments/71kmmo/ios_11_home_button_delay_intentional_or_bug/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/iOS11/comments/6yoq07/iphone_7_ios_11_reintroduces_delay_before/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/iOSBeta/comments/6zxkbh/discussion_ios_11_feels_slower_to_me/

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

All certainly interesting conjectures. Same as has been mentioned throughout this thread.

11. I7guy macrumors G5

All opinions/guesses and nothing unique or new to a major release.

12. Shirasaki, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Well you never know. Maybe more than just a few lines, which could be a deciding factor to whether the feature is there or not.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2017 ---
    I would say this is a very bold speculation at its finest. The only thing that is apparent is the ticket is open. Anything else is not.

Guess what? I can say engineer forgets this ticket altogether because they are flooded with other tickets with higher priority. Just like my supervisor forgetting to reply some of my email or ignore some of them because overwhelming email from other sources. We never know.

13. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

In the past updating the newest OS on last year’s model results in some lag. But going from iOS 10 to iOS 11 on my 7 has proven to be more stable, more fluid and fixed any UI quirks I had with iOS 10.

For me, iOS 10 felt like the beta and iOS 11 feels like the finished product

14. d5aqoëp thread starter macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

WTF are you kidding me? o_O

15. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

Color me Skeptical, but I'll believe you... There are many who say ios 11 has degraded the 7's performance.

The only thing I can think of upgrading for is the one finger zooming on maps....

16. I7guy macrumors G5

I don’t thing he is kidding. iOS 10 in the beginning was abysmal. It took a little time to become the stellar o/s it was at the end of the year.

17. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

I bet he does not consider this home button delay at all. And I agree with him to an extent.

18. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

I don't know how I missed this thread for 62 pages, and I know people will have already said this, but ...

someone's hitting the tinfoil a bit hard. :rolleyes:

19. Radon87000 macrumors 604

I will keep sending the feedback again and again to remind them of it.

20. I7guy macrumors G5

They will not fix what is working as designed.

21. imagineadam macrumors 65816

The X reminds me of my 7 that I'm using on 10.3.3 with the instant close. No delay. So glad I'm still on 10.3.3.

They really need to switch this back. It makes the 8/8+ feel so much slower compared to the instant swipe of the iPhone X and the instant home button of iOS 10 on the 7's.

Either it's a boneheaded choice for how the home button responds or they are pushing people "to the future" to upgrade to the new fancy more expensive faster responding iphone X. How to make a phone new phone feel more responsive? Make the older/lesser ones feel slightly less responsive. This has been going on for years.

Please just change the home button timing on the capacative home button iPhones on an iOS 11 update back to how it was apple!

22. I7guy macrumors G5

The only people whose use case is serial app openers are Youtubers producing these videos. The button imo is working as intended and I would be surprised if Apple “fixes” it, but you never know.

23. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

And they can just choose to ignore your feedback as your feedback may never pass their automated system.

24. Radon87000, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

Radon87000 macrumors 604

If they ignore it, it just confirms what I have been saying all along. Of course they are not ruining my tablet. The iPad Pro 2017 is next on the chopping block now that an iPad without the the home button is launching next year. At least I get the satisfaction of not getting trapped with my tablet. It's staying on iOS 10 for the next couple of years. The next iPhone I am getting stays on iOS 11 if I keep it. Never upgrading iOS ever again. Got fooled once with my iPhone 6. Got fooled twice with my iPhone 7. I am not making it to three.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2017 ---
    I,already played with the X in the store. Don't believe anyone here who says there is any sort of a delay anywhere in the system. Everything is super fast and instant like how my 7 Plus was on iOS 10. Any bugs will be ironed out on a priority basis.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2017 ---
    If it's working as designed they will close the feedback entry.

25. I7guy macrumors G5

Yes, In their own time....not yours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.