Apple Has Spent Record $2.2 Million Lobbying Trump Administration Over Past Three Months

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Jul 21, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple spent an all-time high $2.2 million lobbying Donald Trump's federal government between April 1 and June 30, 2017, according to a disclosure form filed by the Office of the Clerk of the U.S. House of Representatives.

[​IMG]
    Image: Drew Angerer--Getty Images

That amount is by far the most Apple has ever spent on lobbying in a single quarter, eclipsing the previous record of nearly $1.4 million spent during Trump's first three months as President of the United States. Apple has now spent nearly $3.6 million on lobbying during the first six months of his term.

The extra $800,000 that Apple spent between April 1 and June 30 of this year, compared to January 1 to March 31, is its largest ever quarter-over-quarter increase in lobbying expenses. Apple had never increased its lobbying spending by more than $330,000 from one quarter to the next before now.

Apple's surge in spending is perhaps no surprise, as the company has disagreed with Trump on a number of fundamental issues, ranging from his temporary immigration ban to withdrawing from the Paris climate agreement.

"There are clearly areas where we're not nearly on the same page," said Tim Cook, Apple CEO, in a recent interview with Bloomberg Businessweek. Nonetheless, Cook has showed a willingness to work with Trump so far.

By comparison, Apple spent $1.12 million lobbying between April 1 and June 30 of 2016, the final year of Barack Obama's administration, meaning it has nearly doubled its spending in just one year. Apple spent around $730,000 during the first six months of Obama's presidency, according to 2009 disclosure forms.

Apple continued to lobby the government about issues related to corporate tax reform, climate change, diversity in the workplace, green technology, patent reform, privacy, education, accessibility, music licensing, and regulation of mobile medical applications, according to the latest disclosure form.

Apple has gradually increased its lobbying spending over the past decade. In 2007, the final year of George W. Bush's administration, the company spent $1.3 million, compared to nearly $4.7 million in 2016. Apple is well on pace to smash that record this year after spending $3.6 million in the first six months alone.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Has Spent Record $2.2 Million Lobbying Trump Administration Over Past Three Months

2. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

Not surprising when you have an administration that doesn't want to embrace technology. Funny from a group that goes on about being pro-business.

3. filmantopia, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017

filmantopia macrumors 6502a

filmantopia

I can't stand the idea of corporate lobbyists... but if it has to happen, may as well be for good causes.

Edit: No, I don't support lobbying. I would whole-heartedly support a constitutional amendment to stop it entirely. I'm saying that in a world where it currently exists, we should hope Apple is doing so for the purposes that they publicly champion.

4. Z400Racer37 macrumors 6502a

The fact that politics has gotten so bad that even Apple needs to lobby.... Is sick. Stop voting for authoritarians people....

#FreeMarketsFTW

5. Codyak macrumors 6502

Codyak

Tim looks absolutely thrilled to be so close to the Gropper-in-Chief.

6. rizzo41999 macrumors 6502

rizzo41999

I rather not have a tech company telling me how to live my life politically speaking. I'm not about these social\political contributions Apple has been making recently. They wanna help, jump start the Space Race

7. Precision Gem macrumors 6502

Precision Gem

Too bad Apple didn’t put those funds to improving Maps. My street which was made over 15 years ago still doesn’t show up on Maps.

8. iReality85 macrumors 6502a

Huh?

The administration met just last month with all the big names of Silicon Valley, Cook included, with the goal of overhauling technological efficiency among the federal agencies. By many accounts, it was a productive and successful week long meeting.

9. boast macrumors 65816

boast

The Senate and House of Representatives are the Trump administration?

10. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

Translation:

"I hate lobbying unless it supports my own personal interests."

11. samcraig macrumors P6

Tim is trying to get Trump to switch his Android twitter phone to iPhone.

12. markosb macrumors 6502

markosb

This is not the first time Apple has lobbied, don't just blame who is in office, they want certain things that benefit them passed. Google, Microsoft, as well as other wealthy companies do this. Even under Obama they lobbied. Granted trump is the reason why they spent this much, but in the end it's so they get stuff passed that benefits them. Nothing wrong with it, but I wish it wasn't allowed.

They lobby regardless of who's in office, they want l

13. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

Don't bother. Trump haters will never stop assuming that all conservatives are anti-technology and are solely comprised of old white men who want kids to get off their lawn.

14. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

So, you are aware of what Lobbying is taking place? Who is being lobbied, where the money is going, what is the end game for Apple? To think it's all 'Cookies and Cream' simply because it's Apple is dangerous. :apple:

15. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

How could Trump be on the same page with Cook when Trump is busy fighting off Russian's investigation?

16. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I'm glad the swamp is all drained... or something like that. o_O

17. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

On what grounds do you base that statement? There's nothing I see to indicate the current administration is somehow anti-technology. What brought you to that conclusion? The current administration has spoken frequently about technology, as did Candidate Trump during the campaign.

18. ISanych macrumors regular

It's a golf course instead of swamp now, and naturally you have to pay more there :)

19. Edsel macrumors regular

Run for local office, or at least encourage and actively support local candidates. Democracy starts at home. Your city/town needs your expertise; volunteer for local boards and commission. It is amazing how complex local government has become and it so desperately needs smart and educated people to help.

20. magicschoolbus macrumors 6502a

magicschoolbus

Tech stocks and the economy disagrees with you. Have you looked at your 401K lately?

21. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

Yeah I specifically remember Trump mentioning "the cyber" during one of the debates. Oh and how his 10 year old son is good with computers!

22. StevieD100 macrumors 6502a

StevieD100

Think yourself lucky. Google seems to think that the road past my house is a through route. I was made a dead end in 1976.

23. mactactic macrumors regular

mactactic

No more H1B visas !!! Train and hire Americans first !!!

24. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Does Apple disclose the specific issues they are lobbying for?

25. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

You could spend $100million and it would be a waste of time. Trump changes his mind from one minute to the next.

He also knows almost nothing about corporations or politics; e.g., having to recently lift the visa ban after realising oh wait not all immigrants are rapists?

Drain the swamp...please. It's now filled with more bankers than before.