Apple Has Spent Record $2.2 Million Lobbying Trump Administration Over Past Three Months

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Precision Gem macrumors 6502

Precision Gem

Trump used technology to get elected.

2. PizzaBoxStyle macrumors 6502

So let me get this straight... Apple is using every trick in the book to minimize their tax contribution, to then only turn around and give it to the same people in backroom deals?

Uh-uh. This behavior has got to stop, and stop quickly.

And from a company who routinely makes a big ol' show of how "progressive" they are... o_O The next time they get all high and mighty on some righteous cause, society needs to collective tell them to "sit their ass down."

3. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Holy crap. That photo made me almost spit coffee. Jesus christ, the humor.

4. Rettun1 macrumors regular

I no rite? I’m much more comfortable with oil/utility/automotive/Internet companies telling you how to live my life!

5. Precision Gem macrumors 6502

Precision Gem

The extra money Tim is spending is proof that Trump can not be bought the way Obama was. Keep trying Tim!!!

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Can you source definitive and objective facts that would render the meetings as having been "productive" and "successful"? I'm not saying it was the opposite, but frankly, you sound like Trump's twitter account.. simply telling people things are "successful" and "going well" without numbers to substantiate.

The numbers and facts would like to have a word with you:

http://www.businessinsider.com/exit...f-support-from-voters-with-higher-education-7

No, not all Trump supporters are old, white men. However, a large majority are male, white, uneducated and older. Again, this is how the data plays out, not my opinion.

Yea, let's teach our youth that because they were born here (which is out of their control), they are entitled to a job first, despite not needing to be more hardworking nor qualified!

Sorry, but if I own a company, I want the best talent, regardless of your nationality, race, or where you were born. Have we also forgotten America was founded on immigration?

7. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

don't really care....i just want lower taxes and cheaper better health care....

apple is doing what it thinks is right...

8. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

There's a difference between a person not paying taxes because of a loophole and one of the biggest, richest corporations on planet earth not doing it - however I do see the point you are making.

9. Rettun1 macrumors regular

I learned two bits of info recently I found interesting.

1) they are referred to as “swamps” in the south and “wetlands” in the north of the country

2) people in the south DO literally ‘drain the swamps’ to make better use of the land, but people in the north realized that that activity is actually harmful to the landscape.

10. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

So you prefer teaching our youth that it's okay to let a foreign worker come into the country and take an opportunity away from an American family struggling put food on the table that's activily pursing a job thats available to them in their own country?

Quite patriotic of you.

11. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

When I went to DC to meet with an angency I received calls from two lobbyists afterward. Hmmm. For only $10k/mo they would assure I get a line item in a budget. So Apple is paying for "several lobbyists".

Oh, BTW I didn't contact them first.

It really is a swamp.

12. PizzaBoxStyle macrumors 6502

That last sentence... it sounds like you're trying to offload the true cost of your doing business on to the tax payer. :rolleyes:

13. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

14. PizzaBoxStyle macrumors 6502

Pitchforks and fire?

15. Constable Odo macrumors 6502

Constable Odo

Oh, goody... Apple is such a big spender. Oh, Amazon of little profit spent $3.2M "lobbying" over the last quarter. Obviously, Jeff Bezos knows how and where to spend his money to get what he wants. Money placed in the right hands will usually help things go your way. Apple is worth far more than Amazon on paper so Apple should be paying higher bribes to more people.

16. canny macrumors regular

canny

Why is it called 'lobbying'?

It's just bribery.

17. citysnaps macrumors 603

I'm not. I suspect the poster I was responding too, who said we should be training people instead of using H1B engineers, was.

18. R3k macrumors 6502a

So where specifically does $2.2 million go? Wages, airfares, hotels, limo's and business dinners? Surely not into anyones pocket?

19. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

If there are jobs in need of employees who the hell is keeping Americans from taking those jobs?

I spent many years in IT/Management Consulting and we needed people with tech skills to staff projects.

Do you have any idea how many people are getting degrees in these fields in the US? Not many. Instead people get degrees in gender studies or other useless areas, because math be hard and stuff.

So, I would have loved to hire people here, but they apparently didn't want the jobs because they didn't get the right kind of education.

So, I had to bring people from India, because they could do the work. It didn't save me any money, but it did give me the skills I needed that Americans didn't seem interested in getting.

20. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

The US government has been run by corporations for a while now. This is nothing new.

21. GoldenJoe macrumors 6502

I'll keep saying it: Apple needs to get rid of Tim. He is more focused on politics than products.

22. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Capitalism my friend. If Billy Joe wants a position at $50K annually and John Doe from XXX country has the same qualifications as Billy Joe @$40K annually, guess who's going to get picked? Yet another reason why trickle down doesn't work.

23. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

LOL well somebody used technology to get Trump elected... :rolleyes: Post of the week there.

24. 0098386 Suspended

No translation needed. There are good and bad things to lobby for, and Apple seem to be good people these days supporting decent, progressive ideas. I know lots of homophobes and transphobes don't like Apple at the moment, what with Tim being gay and everyone else getting on fine with trans stuff.

25. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Everyone hit record highs this quarter. As usual, MacRumors tries to make this bigger issue by making it seem as though Apple is the only offender.

Google spent $5.93 million, Amazon spent $3.21 million, Uber spent $430,000. Facebook spent $2.38 million this quarter, up from the same period last year but far from a record. Microsoft's bill for the quarter was just over $2 million.