Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sobering

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Canada
What do you guys think? I really think Apple has to change something drastically with the release of Leopard. I mean, Mac OS X looks slick and all, but compared to Vista the design is starting to look really old. Vista is really quite dead sexy in design. What do you guys think?

Sobering

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Canada
zap2. I agree ;).

LOL C'mon. You Apple fanboys have to give some credit to Vista. I mean it is really quite stylish. I mean I love Apple as much as everybody else, but I still keep an eye on Microsoft. As a graphic designer myself, I really appreciate what MS has done with designing Vista.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
zap2. I agree ;).

LOL C'mon. You Apple fanboys have to give some credit to Vista. I mean it is really quite stylish. I mean I love Apple as much as everybody else, but I still keep an eye on Microsoft. As a graphic designer myself, I really appreciate what MS has done with designing Vista.

Vista !! :p i would take 10.3 Panther over Vista anyday of the week and twice on Sunday's.

But Tiger 10.4 is what i have right now and it does everything i can wish for - Leopard will take that next step up in Design and Sexyness when it get's here

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
As a graphic designer myself, I really appreciate what MS has done with designing Vista.

then you must not be a very good graphic designer.

edit: that sounded a little more derogatory than i intended; but my feeling is that the hyperglossy, overdone look in aero is what OSX looked like at version 10.0; it was too much then and its even more too much on vista. i also think there are a lot of things in Tiger that are not good either, but overall i prefer OSX to vista from an aesthetic standpoint by quite a bit.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Vista is really quite dead sexy in design. What do you guys think?

Haven't used Vista so can't comment on the design.

But aside from the OS I would like Apple to look at the design of their hardware… A decent mouse for a start… And how about some displays that you can adjust (even rotate?:eek:) and not just tilt? The damn things can't even swivel (apart from turning the whole stand)

Sometimes being so sleek and oh so minimal can bite you on the backside. The eternal quest to be the thinnest, kind of like London Fashion week, no? :) Maybe they should come up with some BMI guidelines for the new products.

While I like the "look" of the iPhone, does it seem all that comfortable to hold? I dunno. (Not that that will stop me getting one of course. :p )

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
zap2. I agree ;).

Vista is a big change over XP. It no longer has the clown colours that have been a part of Windows since version 2.0. That's a good change. Using windows that are so transparent that make the text illegible is not so good. It's design gone too far but it gets the attention of those who don't really have good taste, those people who need to be shocked to notice something.

In a way, it's like those web pages that use Flash in such a way that they're unusable. Unlike those pages, you have some control and can tone down the effects, thankfully.

Apple will hopefully show something tastefully designed that doesn't smack you but stays out of the way.

Sobering

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Canada
Can you give some details on what exactly about it you think is dead sexy?

I like the new start menu logo, but that's about it.

Well I think they have overdone it with all the glossiness. But still, it looks very nice. For example all the text seems well formatted and some of the rollovers look amazing. I can't find pictures of what I really like on Google, and I'm not on Vista right now (I'm sticking to OS X :p ). But maybe I'm just happy that Windows doesn't look like a Fisher Price toy anymore.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I think what bugs me about Aero, aside from repeating many of OS X's early mistakes is that it looks SO SCATTERED. Apps vary in appearance from window to window, there are different colors in different places for no apparent reason, no sense of cohesiveness, just a lot of elements thrown together. Yuck!

OS X isn't perfect in that regard either, but it feels better than Vista. It all feels like it's all part of the same OS, whereas Vista from app to app carries traces of all the versions of Windows that came before it. It doesn't end up feeling like an overhaul, just a new coat of paint... on the borders of windows.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
I think Vista is major improvement over XP as far as the aesthetics go, and I bet Apple does step it up with 10.5.

XP was too pre-school looking, and classic mode was too blah. Sleek, sexy, professional, that's what I look for, and that's why I like OS X. :cool:

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
then you must not be a very good graphic designer.

edit: that sounded a little more derogatory than i intended; but my feeling is that the hyperglossy, overdone look in aero is what OSX looked like at version 10.0; it was too much then and its even more too much on vista. i also think there are a lot of things in Tiger that are not good either, but overall i prefer OSX to vista from an aesthetic standpoint by quite a bit.

Agreed- I've been in the ad biz for many years. I wouldn't repeat that you think Vista is sexy to anyone who might be considering hiring you. ;)

And don't worry, I bet Leopard is going to knock it back down a few notches.

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
I'm actually still running 10.3, but I'm tired of brushed metal. I like the polished look of the icons in new programs and the iTunes 7 interface. Honestly I wouldn't mind a little more color in the OSX interface. Gray = boring.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm actually still running 10.3, but I'm tired of brushed metal. I like the polished look of the icons in new programs and the iTunes 7 interface. Honestly I wouldn't mind a little more color in the OSX interface. Gray = boring.

I'd like to see more colour in Mac OS X but only if it can be turned off at times. Part of the reason that Apple supplies a graphite selection is to have something neutral for graphic designers.

A lot of people have complained about the various interfaces of software that runs on multiple platforms as being Windows-ish and I believe that's because it has a lot of colour.

I can't see Mac OS X eschewing the unified silver and brushed metal and white with pinstripes to use colour but it would be interesting as a change. Apple, pick one, just one.

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
What do you guys think? I really think Apple has to change something drastically with the release of Leopard. I mean, Mac OS X looks slick and all, but compared to Vista the design is starting to look really old. Vista is really quite dead sexy in design. What do you guys think?

What more do you want? It's hard to keep design simple, useable, and packed full of features all at what time. All Microsoft has done is dressed up XP, added some OS X into the mix, and tried to give Vista a Web 2.0 feel, but really only gave it a Web 1.85.

zap2. I agree ;).

Sure, but once again, how easy is it to use Vista? It's not even close to the simplicity of Tiger, which has been out for what, nearly two year now?

Roughly half the user of computers don't care how it looks, they just want it to work. Sure if you add the extra 'design' factor in there some will appreciate it, but in the end it was never needed.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Roughly half the user of computers don't care how it looks, they just want it to work. Sure if you add the extra 'design' factor in there some will appreciate it, but in the end it was never needed.

100% of computer users care how it looks, they just may not be conscious of it. good design will make things that work, work better. a lot of Aero is ornament, not design.

good design is always needed.

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
100% of computer users care how it looks, they just may not be conscious of it. good design will make things that work, work better. a lot of Aero is ornament, not design.

good design is always needed.

100% of computer users care how it looks? I don't think so. I guess if it looked like crap than they might, but how many people upgraded from 10.3 to 10.4 just for the look? How many upgraded for spotlight, dashboard, and the other features?

I like what you said about Aero though.

shecky

May 24, 2003
100% of computer users care how it looks? I don't think so. I guess if it looked like crap than they might, but how many people upgraded from 10.3 to 10.4 just for the look?

they DO care what it looks like, because what it looks like and how it works is a key element of something people interact with; it is part of the user experience. i am not saying they care what the basic aesthetics are, if something is blue or green or clear or solid; i am saying that they care what the entire design looks like, even if they are not consciously aware of it, because the design dictates how well it works.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
Who thinks Leopard will pull an iPhone on Vista? Leopard will be to Vista was iPhone is to Zune.

We can probably take some design hints from the iPhone UI as well, directly instead of metaphorically.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003

HEHE :eek: Black is Wack! If anyone made my taskbar black I would think they are wack! Microsoft has mearly just got mac osx and made it blacker, Aero? WoW see through! They put a lot of thought into that, there's northing there!

stoid

macrumors 601
I haven't used Vista myself, but the screenshots that I've seen, many of the OS messages appear to sill use that same old font, and I think it's hideous. It makes me feel like DOS. It looks too techy and unfriendly.

Attachments

• ie.jpg
    ie.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 58

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
I think Aqua is a little more functional than Aero. Take Expose. In one push of a button, OS X shows ALL of your windows at once, so you can quickly and easily find the one you want. Vista has a new feature similar to this, which I think is called QuickFlip3D or something. While the look of it is definitely cooler, it really only shows one window at a time, and you have to cycle through a lot of windows before you find the one you want. That definitely takes more time than Expose, which shows ALL of them all at once.

I've used Mac OS 10.0 not too long ago, and Aqua was rather sluggish during that. Aqua has come a long way, but it's a rather inconsisten mix between the original pinstriping, Safari's brushed metal, and Mail and iTunes' aluminum look. I think Apple needs to be slightly more consistent with Aqua. I wouldn't mind seeing nothing but aluminum, and maybe they could bring back the semi-transparent window title bar from OS 10.0 and 10.1 back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.