Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2015
Apple's goal here is to take over the TV business. Comcast would like to retain control.

Sadly, spot on. I'm still in disbelief that Comcast was allowed to "acquire" TW. Haven't we learned from MaBell? They'll control the majority of cable services in the States...

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Sadly, spot on. I'm still in disbelief that Comcast was allowed to "acquire" TW. Haven't we learned from MaBell? They'll control the majority of cable services in the States...

As far as I know, this isn't a done deal yet. Regulatory approval hasn't been issued on this one, as I understand it.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Just want a new ATV box that can work independently from itunes running on a Mac at all times. I would love to see a solution where I can plug/stream from a external drive where all my media is locate.

I would even settle for updated Time Capsule that can host iTunes library.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Oh goody! Another rumor about a rumor, neither of which have been confirmed because they are only rumors.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
It'll be a favor for Comcast, and Comcast will be willing to take a crappy deal because otherwise they have nothing.

Ummm, where Comcast has a CableTV business for an Apple to potentially take, they are probably also the dominant- often sole- provider of broadband too. An Apple (or any other) replacement for CableTV that depends on a broadband connection is completely at the mercy of a Comcast either choosing "to have nothing" OR choosing to make up any losses with higher broadband prices for "heavier bandwidth users".

Comcast cannot lose to Apple when they are the only game in town for broadband. And even where they are not (such as it is where I am) isn't the other broadband provider(s) also in the CableTV business too? Won't they feel the pain of an Apple taking their CableTV subscription revenue too? And won't they respond by raising their broadband rates to make up the difference too?

I get the hate for the CableTV industry. But thinking they'll die by an Apple taking their CableTV business when Apple's replacement completely depends on a broadband connection provided by that very same company is such fantasy, I can't believe any of us can possibly fool ourselves into thinking it can happen.

If anyone dreams of "Die Comcast Die", we need to see another huge innovation that connects some hypothetical :apple:TV box directly to iCloud without a Comcast playing the role of broadband toll master. Until there is THAT innovation, a Comcast and all others like them can flex at any time to make up for every nickel they could lose to a "new model" replacement for CableTV service.

And then we'll find ourselves paying a Comcast as much as ever AND also paying Apple as a new middleman providing video programming. Just think it through. What would you do if you were Comcast and an Apple started taking a big bite out of your CableTV revenues? Roll over and let them? Or flex your broadband monopoly (or duopoly in some places) and make up for any losses? It's not very hard to see how this will play out if Apple is even able to become a "new model" provider.

Last edited:

Rocketman

macrumors 603
NBC / NBC Universal / Comcast is a conglomerate comparable to CBS. They could contact Apple at any time and get the exact same deal as CBS, which is a content protecer.

The real drama relates to another dispute. NBC could be like Samsung and sue Apple's a$$ off on one layer and be their best friend on another layer.

Rocketman

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Ummm, where Comcast has a CableTV business for an Apple to potentially take, they are probably also the dominant- often sole- provider of broadband too. An Apple (or any other) replacement for CableTV that depends on a broadband connection is completely at the mercy of a Comcast either choosing "to have nothing" OR choosing to make up any losses with higher broadband prices for "heavier bandwidth users".

[...]

I get the hate for the CableTV industry. But thinking they'll die by an Apple taking their CableTV business when Apple's replacement completely depends on a broadband connection provided by that very same company is such fantasy, I can't believe any of us can possibly fool ourselves into thinking it can happen.

The FCC has the power to regulate the internet as of a month ago. That means that, though Comcast owns and maintains the network as well as collecting fees from people to connect to it, the FCC decides what it's legal to charge for.

It's my understanding that the FCC believes that bits are bits, whether the bits form a video stream or is an HTML file or anything else, and that attempting to charge users based on what they're downloading, or where they're downloading it from, is illegal.

So Comcast isn't legally able to yank the rug out from under Apple, or Netflix, or anyone else making a CableTV replacement that runs over the internet.

If Comcast wants to remain the dominant CableTV provider, they're going to have to actually fight for it in a free and open market - their regional monopolies will be coming to an end as the internet CableTV replacements start getting more channels onboard with them.

If anyone dreams of "Die Comcast Die", we need to see another huge innovation that connects some hypothetical :apple:TV box directly to iCloud without a Comcast playing the role of broadband toll master. Until there is THAT innovation, a Comcast and all others like them can flex at any time to make up for every nickel they could lose to a "new model" replacement for CableTV service.

Apple has the resources to do this - they're the most valuable company in the world while Comcast is only #30. Apple has many times the resources that Comcast has - they could build a worldwide network if they wanted to. It would be by far Apple's most capital intensive undertaking ever, but they could. They considered doing so back in 2006 back before deciding to use AT&T as their launch partner for the original iPhone. If they had the resources to build a national cellular internet service then, you better believe that they have the resources to build a national broadband service now, given they're several times larger now than they were then, nearly a decade ago.

I don't think they will do this though. It's a very initial cost with very little return, and a very high cost of maintenance. It's not a market Apple wants to be in. But they'll leverage the fact that they could dominate it if they chose to do so to make the other players (AT&T in cellular, Comcast in broadband) do exactly what they want.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Because Comcast owns NBC Universal, I wouldn't have shown my hand to them either if I was Apple. Work with the other major players and launch, otherwise Comcast would have some competing box or start undermining Apple before the new :apple:TV even launches.

Psst!
I think Comcast already has a competing box. ;) And they have a lot more content for it, too. ...Might have even come out before the AppleTV.

As far as the idea Comcast is going steal some great interface idea from the AppleTV... uh, no. Comcast isn't a software company. The digital converters and the firmware on them is a turnkey solution they buy from someone else. Hardware from Motorola or Cisco, and an equally smaller number of firmware/interface makers. They don't have the ability to run off and copy something Apple does, like Samsung can with their own hardware and the freedom to modify Android, and slap it into everyone's receivers.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Apple has the resources to do this - they're the most valuable company in the world while Comcast is only #30. Apple has many times the resources that Comcast has - they could build a worldwide network if they wanted to. It would be by far Apple's most capital intensive undertaking ever, but they could. They considered doing so back in 2006 back before deciding to use AT&T as their launch partner for the original iPhone. If they had the resources to build a national cellular internet service then, you better believe that they have the resources to build a national broadband service now, given they're several times larger now than they were then, nearly a decade ago.

I don't think they will do this though. It's a very initial cost with very little return, and a very high cost of maintenance. It's not a market Apple wants to be in. But they'll leverage the fact that they could dominate it if they chose to do so to make the other players (AT&T in cellular, Comcast in broadband) do exactly what they want.

There is a gigantic difference between Apple considering becoming an MVNO and laying broadband pipes to every home in America. Apple does not have enough money to do the latter. It would be a HUGE undertaking. But even if we want to pretend they could and were motivated to do so, the time between start and completion would be very VERY long. In the meantime, their "replacement" would depend on the pipes already in place. And those pipes are mostly controlled by the likes of Comcast.

I agree with you that Apple won't go there. I disagree that the threat they could "scare?" (leverage) players who already have those pipes in place into "doing exactly what they want". Even the GOV doesn't do very well in getting these players to "do exactly what they want". Does the threat that Apple could become it's own MVNO scare/leverage the cellular service industry into "doing exactly what <Apple> wants"? Unlike digging trenches and laying new cable to every house in America, that's actually something Apple could do fairly quickly and on a national level.

----------

It's my understanding that the FCC believes that bits are bits, whether the bits form a video stream or is an HTML file or anything else, and that attempting to charge users based on what they're downloading, or where they're downloading it from, is illegal.

That's where this always goes- the Government will protect us from higher broadband fees. Bits may be bits but the argument will not be about the difference in bits; it will be about the consumption or demand of (more) bits. We've already seen this before. The cellular industry was able to implement a billing system of time (monthly) AND tiers "for heavier bandwidth users". Those who use more bandwidth pay more for it. Where was the GOV to "regulate" this practice? Nowhere to be found. It's still that way. And many of these companies are even the very same players.

This will be no different. The argument will be that video streamers use much more bandwidth than non-video streamers. There will be spin about needing to expand/enhance the network for much greater data demand (kind of like how we needed to free up spectrum and evolve to LTE in the cellular space "for much greater data demand"). Behind the scenes, the cable providers will contribute big to both political parties- just like the cellular providers contribute big to both political parties- and any attempt to regulate broadband fees "for higher bandwidth users" should be just like any attempt to regulate cellular fees "for higher bandwidth users."

Expecting the GOV to save us is expecting a lot. I have zero faith in that happening myself but I'll hope your interpretation of the law will overcome my lack of confidence.

Last edited:

glutenenvy

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
WA
Here's to hoping I will not be have to pay for somebody else to watch sports as part of the final bundle. Those stations are never on here, except by accident. If I were into sports myself, I wouldn't be spending time posting about having to pay for other people to play at them on TV.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
I hope Apple doesn't approach them. Launch the service without them, build up a strong user base, and use it as leverage when you finally do negotiate.

Although I'm stuck giving Comcast money every month for non-consistent internet access and the pleasure of speaking to their folks in Bogota, Columbia twice a month, so even with an AppleTV service, Comcast still gets my money...

My thoughts exactly. And I'm in the same boat with my ISP. Brighthouse is a subsidiary(?) of Time-Warner, at least when I call I get someone from the U.S.–but my spotty internet connection is mostly a hardware issue, every few months the router likes to kick the bucket and I'm stuck scheduling another appt to install a new one. Wish they'd just hand out better equipment considering I subscribed to the highest tier. And what's this I hear about a merger between Comcast and Time-Warner? If this affects Brighthouse, I'm boned! :eek:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
since it never "panned out last time with Comcast" now you know why Apple never went back to them to neglect...

If anything treating their customers badly is anything to go by.

T-R-S

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Silicon Valley
Cable companies and movie studios want to keep the decades old business model.
Instead of try to figure out how to make revenue off the internet they try to block out companies. Meanwhile the underground like torrents and other numerous underground digital distribution and make zero from it.
Netflix seems to have figured it out. These companies have to get with the program. NBC discontinued all of there news podcasts and are trying to limit their relationship with Apple. So Apple is ignoring them and going around them by signing deals like the one with HBO. At some point companies like Comcast are going to have to adapt or they will end up like MySpace and Compuserve.
Now with Net Neutrality Comcast can't limit Apple's internet bandwidth like they were going to do.

the7th1

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
Munich, Germany
All of these streaming services... We are talking for US customers only, right? It will take decades for any such thing to come to Europe.... Sadly! Cable Companies have drained our wallets for many, many years now... And they will not let go easily here in Europe.

And people wonder why piracy is so hard to fight...

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Now with Net Neutrality Comcast can't limit Apple's internet bandwidth like they were going to do.

Net Neutrality has almost nothing to do with limiting Apple's internet bandwidth. But, even if it did, it has nothing to do with charging consumers more for "high bandwidth users" such as video streamers. Again, (at least) I have zero expectations of the GOV stepping in and preventing a Comcast from raising broadband rates to make up for losses in CableTV when those losses are driven by higher data demand in anyone's "new model" replacement (depending on a Comcast's broadband pipes). Does the GOV step in to limit how much the cellular industry can charge for higher bandwidth users? Does the GOV step in to limit how much the oil companies can charge when demand rises? How about food when demand rises? electricity? property taxes? higher education? anything?

The cellular industry has already established the concept of tiers and justifying charging more for higher bandwidth use. The GOV has done nothing to combat that. Some of the cellular companies are also in the CableTV and wired broadband business too. The very same people will think the very same way and implement the very same concepts to counteract the masses moving away from their CableTV business. If the masses move on cutting the CableTV cord, I fully expect broadband pricing to rise (and/or be tiered) to completely (maybe more than) make up the difference. And I expect the GOV to do nothing about it... just as they do nothing about billing more for higher wireless bandwidth use.

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
That's where this always goes- the Government will protect us from higher broadband fees. Bits may be bits but the argument will not be about the difference in bits; it will be about the consumption or demand of (more) bits. We've already seen this before. The cellular industry was able to implement a billing system of time (monthly) AND tiers "for heavier bandwidth users". Those who use more bandwidth pay more for it. Where was the GOV to "regulate" this practice? Nowhere to be found. It's still that way. And many of these companies are even the very same players.

This will be no different. The argument will be that video streamers use much more bandwidth than non-video streamers. There will be spin about needing to expand/enhance the network for much greater data demand (kind of like how we needed to free up spectrum and evolve to LTE in the cellular space "for much greater data demand"). Behind the scenes, the cable providers will contribute big to both political parties- just like the cellular providers contribute big to both political parties- and any attempt to regulate broadband fees "for higher bandwidth users" should be just like any attempt to regulate cellular fees "for higher bandwidth users."

Expecting the GOV to save us is expecting a lot. I have zero faith in that happening myself but I'll hope your interpretation of the law will overcome my lack of confidence.

This was only decided a month ago - we haven't seen the impact it will have yet.

As for lobbying the government, this is something Apple is also capable of doing (and again, far outdoing Comcast.) I think you're underestimating how much bigger Apple is than Comcast. Comcast is a biggish US company. Apple is the largest company in the world.

If you think your government sucks so much, have you tried changing it?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
As for lobbying the government, this is something Apple is also capable of doing (and again, far outdoing Comcast.) I think you're underestimating how much bigger Apple is than Comcast. Comcast is a biggish US company. Apple is the largest company in the world.

Apple trying to takeover CableTV means it would be Apple vs. the whole CableTV industry... not just Comcast. But even there, it's doesn't matter. The CableTV industry has the broadband pipes already in place. Apple doesn't. Apple's replacement entirely depends on those pipes. Yes, Apple could spend it's reserves to start digging trenches and running new pipes to every home but that's only easy & quick to type (not actually do).

iPhone is much more important to Apple's success than :apple:TV. Apple flexing it's "biggest company in the world" position would be much easier in becoming an MVNO than laying wired broadband pipes. Doing so seems like it would involve much less cost and much less risk while helping them improve their (far) most profitable business. Why haven't they? But we somehow think they might with wired broadband? Or we think the GOV will help Apple at the expense of the cable companies?

All that might happen here is that the Comcasts will still get theirs (probably through tiered pricing for broadband), Apple will pile in on top and start taking a nice ADDITIONAL amount of cash and we'll pay (more) for it in total. The Comcasts have no obligation to just roll over and let Apple have that business. Apple has no way to make their replacement go without reliance on a Comcasts, etc broadband pipes.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Apple just about phased Google out of the iPhone -- at least in terms of what you get when you open the box -- after it decided to do so. Knowing how Comcast treats customers -- autopay just doesn't work, once you buy one service they won't stop bugging you to buy others -- it wouldn't shock me that corporate probably has done something to piss Apple off.

Therefore, Apple getting into the TV programming business and trying to send a middle finger to Comcast wouldn't shock me one bit. In fact, I would applaud it. I can't think of a single person who has anything good to say about being a Comcast customer. They pretty much own most of the cable good enough to deliver really fast speeds in the US, so they technically are liked because of speed. But anything doing with customer service is a nightmare.

So if Apple would like to launch a TV service without NBC stuff, fine. In fact, use some of that cash to start an ISP service all over the country. Do like Google and lay your own cable around big cities. Expand to more rural places like mine and you could send Comcast running for the hills. Please, please do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.