Apple have been safe lately - will that end with the 2012 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SisterRay, Jan 22, 2012.

1. SisterRay macrumors regular

Apple have been sort of ....Yawn..zzzz..zzzz. lately. Will the new 2012 MacBooks Pro's keep them again of the game with another leap of technology. Or will it be a humdrum release hidden behind the reality distortion field.

I fear the field may be slipping.

What do you think

2. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

In what way is the 2011 MacBook Pro "humdrum"? It remains the best laptop on the market today.

3. SisterRay thread starter macrumors regular

It might be good, but there is nothing unique. It needs that little bit of something special.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

5. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I agree. There's nothing in particular that separates an MBP from its competitors, aside from maybe battery life (?) and of course, the operating system.

I mean, yes, it's a big slab of aluminum that makes it look different from the majority of other similar laptops, but I personally don't like the look. I guess the aluminum is fine, but the overall design isn't particularly anything to get excited about (especially since it's fairly played out). At least with the MacBook Air, it's sleek and sexy... same with the iPad and iPhone. The Mini and iMac look very classy. But the MBP? Not my cup of tea, weirdly.

I also think it weights a lot... not that I'm weak, but its deceiving with its footprint I would say.

To each their own though!

6. simsaladimbamba

You want a new design? So it isn't actually a need?
    Apple fared quite well with the pre-Unibody design they employed for five and a half years with the G4 PowerBook and MacBook Pro.

Apple doesn't need to introduce new designs all the time, the products sell just as well, though they will do a new MBP design eventually, but not because some people want that, but because Apple saw the need and means to do it.

7. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Wow...distortion field already in overdrive :D

The innovative portable computing you see is embodied in the Air, iPad and iOS.

The Mac OS is rather humdrum and old fashioned, but certainly serviceable. The iOS is where the future lies. Same with hardware: the hard drive/optical drive lugging mini desktop has more or less run its course. Many of us will continue to need and use it, but the cool kids have moved on to something else.

Rob

8. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Just wait for Mac OS 11, you don't even know what you're in for!

9. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

The PC industry as a whole (excluding Apple) saw shipments in 2011 drop by almost 9%. Apple saw shipments increase by roughly 18% in that same timeframe. I think that settles the debate over whether the MBP is "ho hum" or not...

Mac growing, rest of PC market stagnates (GigaOm)

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

18% of 10% is a lot less than 9% of 90%. Lets not confuse growth with raw numbers.

11. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I'm waiting for the dual screen MBP. Physical keyboard is removed, instead the second screen can transform into a touch keyboard if required.

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I think you are expecting too much

13. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

Like the acer (weird, I know) iconia with dual touchscreens instead of a screen + kb?

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The weight is determined to a large degree by internals. Okay the case weighs something, but you are limited in potential methods of weight reduction without removing things internally. The Air isn't actually light because it's thin. Some of the internals are significantly different, and the usual comparison (13" air to 15" pro) is fundamentally flawed. If you compare to the 13" pro and make some adjustments for the weight of the normal HDD vs the stick type SSD (which is tiny and extremely light) and factor out the weight of the ODD, they're not so far apart.

Laptops in general are a relatively mature market. The Airs give them a new method of differentiation by packaging the results of a lot of recent advancements in technology. If you want the fastest possible cpus in a laptop format, you're looking at the macbook pro. If you can deal with some limitations on ram and cpu (some, as in may not affect everyone equally) get the Air. They used practically every cpu in the ULV lineup across the Air line. They used all but the most expensive standard tdp cpus in the macbook pro, and they run hot enough as it is. You won't see much of a design change in the pro unless things change with the technology used to build them. I'm not sure how this is difficult to grasp.

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

1. What do you think a second screen the same size as the first one will do to the battery life?

2. If the physical keyboard was replaced with a touch one, why not just use a tablet? The physical keyboard is one of the main advantages laptops still retain over tablets.

16. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Every time I think about the dual screen MBP, I try to come up with applications for such a setup and reasons why this is great. Unfortunately I'm never very successful with that.

1. Yeah, it might hurt the battery. Good point
    2. A real operating system and a powerful CPU are the main advantages in my opinion. An iPad with external keyboard is still a tablet, not a laptop.

Here are a few scenarios I managed to come up with:

- programming: IDE on the top screen, ebook (Cocoa for dummies) or API as background for the keyboard screen.
    - video controls on the keyboard screen during fullscreen playback
    - dashboard as background for the keyboard screen
    - handwriting, drawing, 10 finger touch input without the stretching your arms to touch the screen problem

Not so great, I know. The biggest problem is that it still wouldn't have the compactness of a tablet - you still have to open it to play a video.

How about a top case made of two layers of gorilla glass, with the screen in between (self glowing AMOLED stuff or so)? Laptop closed = tablet, laptop open = laptop.

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That could actually happen. It's possible to think up a lot of interesting concepts, but they rely on technology to be at a point where the concept could result in a successful product. That was one of the cool things about the ipad. Technology isn't at a point where such a device can provide a good user experience with a full blown desktop OS, but the available technology resulted in a very cool/usable product. A decade ago such a device may not have been pleasant to use.

18. davidhunternyc macrumors member

I'll tell you. You guys are all crazy. Loopy even. I would be very happy with a 17" MacBook Pro with Retina display and solid-state hard drive.

19. GriiMz macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Are you kidding? The only thing making it good is the OS. The specs for the price are ABYSMAL!

20. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

What, like these successful products?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tablet/laptop hybrids have not taken off in any of their incarnations. At least not yet, with our current technology.

21. thundersteele macrumors 68030

The Thinkpad convertible has been around for a while. It's a niche market, but it exists. Maybe someday Apple or some other manufacturer will come up with a way to implement a hybrid that appeals to a larger group of people.

At least now you don't have to tell people why they should want a tablet...

22. jamezr Suspended

jamezr

What is amazing about this post is how you have taken Apple for granted.....
    It has the best selling tablet....the best selling MP3 player....the fastest growth gains in the computer space company wide. The are the most watched and imitated company by all of there competitors. Just the mention of a RUMOR that Apple MIGHT release a TV and the Whole TV industry is scrambling.....they produce the most innovating products and designs. Yet because their unique blend of software and hardware is often taken for granted because the whole design is for it "simply work". You have a MBA from your sig so why would you want a MBP?

23. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I see lots of Transformers around Campus. Mainly iPads, but there are some xformers floating around.

24. mrsir2009, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, sure, some of them do alright. But none of them have really 'taken off' like the iPad. Probably because the thick & heavy form factor of a laptop makes it unattractive to use as a tablet. Perhaps if it was a MacBook Air thinness then it might have a chance...

25. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I don't get the point of this thread.

Do you know how amazingly fast the 2011 MBP's are? I've done tests with my early 2011 and it's almost as fast as my 2008 8 Core 3.2Ghz Mac Pro! Think about that for a second.

For slickness, go with an Air. They look nice and thin.

For pro use, go with an MBP.

The unibodies are nice. As mentioned, the MBP's are very tightly packed and I don't really see a miniaturisation of internal components unless Apple starts removing the optical drive, removing the hard drive (and using the Air SSD chips), etc. These machines are using the latest components as it is.

My 15" MBP is not even that heavy. Have you used other laptops? You'll notice the difference in a heartbeat.