Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
I don't get the point of this thread.

Do you know how amazingly fast the 2011 MBP's are? I've done tests with my early 2011 and it's almost as fast as my 2008 8 Core 3.2Ghz Mac Pro! Think about that for a second.

For slickness, go with an Air. They look nice and thin.

For pro use, go with an MBP.

The unibodies are nice. As mentioned, the MBP's are very tightly packed and I don't really see a miniaturisation of internal components unless Apple starts removing the optical drive, removing the hard drive (and using the Air SSD chips), etc. These machines are using the latest components as it is.

My 15" MBP is not even that heavy. Have you used other laptops? You'll notice the difference in a heartbeat.
I dunno, I think the MBP15 is the strongest of the MBP lineup. THe MBP17 only offers a larger display with 1920x1200, the MBP13 is overweight (relative to 13" competition), low resolution, and underpowered (the fact that Sony managed to pack a HD6630m + BluRay burner + full speed i5/i7 dual core + backlit KB + 1600x900 display in a slightly slimmer, overall same size 13.3" form factor, effectively disproves any theory the MBP13 is too small to have it all - and the Vaio SA's cooling system is much less effective than the MBP13's, yet manages to still keep everything below 90C under load). Hell, it's 1000usd for the i5/DVD/HD6630m/1600x900 model to boot...

That's why I'm waiting on the next MBx 13" range. If the MBP13 Ivy Bridge refresh is awesome, I'm going all out on it. If it's nothing more than an Ivy Bridge CPU and a space wasting internal ODD drive, then I'm just going to get the 13" Air - Assuming Apple doesn't do something overtly wierd to the 13" lineup.

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
What, like these successful products?

Tablet/laptop hybrids have not taken off in any of their incarnations. At least not yet, with our current technology.

Heh, Girlfriend actually has a broken one of these sitting in the garage. It broke just out of the 1-year warranty period.

Given Apple's track record with display case hinges, and my personal experience with them, I love the idea, but am not sure I'd ever buy a rotating screen laptop like this from them. Or HP, for that matter.

Now, as far as the UMBP being innovative, at least a couple PC manufacturers seemed to find it groundbreaking:

159723b088d7c00bc48202a18df76fad.jpg

p220_desperate_macbook_pro_clone_jcjsr.jpg

hp-envy-14-right.jpg

HPENVY.jpg

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
The trend has been aluminum, aluminum, aluminum, for Apple (and more aluminum!) Maybe Apple can get on to something else design-wise with their machines that is not this sharp-edge cutting metal, because I am not a huge fan of it. I like having Macs and using Macs, but I sort of miss the PowerBook designs of the old years (5300c, 1400c, 2400c, 3400c/Kanga -- anyone remember these), and I wish Apple would get a company like FrogDesign back with them and start making some stunning and sleek computers again!

Yeah - Jonathan Ive is addicted to aluminum and glass. That I think we all agree on.

SisterRay

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2006
UK
Exactly lots of copies, everybody has caught up. Apple need to take the next leap ahead of the competition

ray648

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
I agree. There's nothing in particular that separates an MBP from its competitors, aside from maybe battery life (?) and of course, the operating system.

I mean, yes, it's a big slab of aluminum that makes it look different from the majority of other similar laptops, but I personally don't like the look. I guess the aluminum is fine, but the overall design isn't particularly anything to get excited about (especially since it's fairly played out). At least with the MacBook Air, it's sleek and sexy... same with the iPad and iPhone. The Mini and iMac look very classy. But the MBP? Not my cup of tea, weirdly.

I also think it weights a lot... not that I'm weak, but its deceiving with its footprint I would say.

To each their own though!

Also:

Thunderbolt
Magsafe
Magnetic screen latch
Buttonless multitouch glass trackpad

Ok, some of these features have been around a while, but I've still yet to see them show up on any of the windows laptops people keep posting to compare with.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Exactly lots of copies, everybody has caught up. Apple need to take the next leap ahead of the competition

so people are trying to catch up to where Apple was nearly a year ago. That doesn't mean Apple needs to worry. The copies are having a hard time meeting the MBA price points though.

apple doesn't respond to competition - it's the other way around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.