Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
I guess you don't shop at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Sam's Club, etc.
I typically shop with credit for a 1-6% discount on whatever I’m purchasing (depending on which card) and the fact that Costco won’t even take Mastercard - AT ALL annoys me every time I go there. My best cards happen to be Mastercard instead of Visa.

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Chase is still worth it the Sapphire Reserve with the Freedom can be over 6% back when redeemed for travel plus the lounge perks.
My wife has this one and yes it’s great. We just booked our delayed honeymoon for our first anniversary and she showed me how that works.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
I have been happy with my Apple Card, but damn this forum is seriously making me think about the chase cards.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I have been happy with my Apple Card, but damn this forum is seriously making me think about the chase cards.
I was denied for apple card but chase gave me 0% apr for 15 month with a heft limit.
Getting 5% on gas so far thanks for sign up bonus and received 200 cash back for just spending my usual 500 day to day expenses.
I was chasing apple card for exactly that: 0 apr for unlocked iphone. Since it is gone now, then i will just skip it, because surprisingly i got all my apple stuff except iPhones from bestbuy at a discount with their promos. For example, sign up with bestbuy credit card and get 15% of your first purchase. Of course i went for 1600 M1 MBP14, effectively making it a 1360 dollar laptop.
Tldr: go get em!

Reactions: AF_APPLETALK

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
I was denied for apple card but chase gave me 0% apr for 15 month with a heft limit.
Getting 5% on gas so far thanks for sign up bonus and received 200 cash back for just spending my usual 500 day to day expenses.
I was chasing apple card for exactly that: 0 apr for unlocked iphone. Since it is gone now, then i will just skip it, because surprisingly i got all my apple stuff except iPhones from bestbuy at a discount with their promos. For example, sign up with bestbuy credit card and get 15% of your first purchase. Of course i went for 1600 M1 MBP14, effectively making it a 1360 dollar laptop.
Tldr: go get em!

Genuinely appreciate you sharing your experience!

Reactions: ctjack

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I used mine for my summer vacation to New York, booking my flight, accommodation/check in, paid for food and travel and visit to various sites. It was super smooth; so I can't complaint but I am disappointed about the 0% interest financing on SIM free iPhones.

Reactions: AF_APPLETALK

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
Whoa, the example graphic has a forty grand credit limit?
I don't know. Credit score of 800+ maybe? Most of my cards are at least this. You never want to use more than a quarter of it if you want to keep your credit score high (and get cards with higher limits), so in practice it is a 10K limit rather than 40K. I think most cards bump you up to this range automatically if you keep your score high. If you are in the 700s, I doubt high utilization is going to lower your score so I don't know how much it really matters unless you carry credit over and can get a lower rate with a higher score. Some of my cards have around 100K limit and I'm certainly not rich. American Express in particular seems to give much higher limits (2x other cards) than you are likely to need. I'm not sure, but that might be a marketing thing to make you feel special. Using AmEx is a good way to raise your credit score since you can keep your utilization lower more easily.

The Apple Card is easier than many cards to cover monthly expenses that you want coming out of your payroll earnings due to the way the billing cycles work. It may not matter that much to many people that keep a lot of extra money in their checking accounts, but you don't end up getting hit with something on the card that immediately needs to be paid in the middle of a month to avoid interest. I personally prefer this since I don't want to think about money at all.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.