Apple Highlights Depth Control Feature on iPhone XS, XS Max and XR With New How To Video

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 2, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today shared a new how to video that's designed to walk new iPhone users through using the Depth Control feature on the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR.

Depth Control, a feature new to the 2018 iPhones, lets you adjust the amount of background blur in a photo taken with Portrait Mode using either the front or rear camera.

Depth Control can be accessed by choosing a Portrait Mode photo from the Photos app, selecting the "Edit" button, and using the slider at the bottom of the screen to adjust the blur from f/1.4 (maximum blur) to f/16 (no blur).

Depth Control is available when editing an already-captured photo and as of iOS 12.1, there's a real-time Depth Control feature for adjusting blur before you take a photo.

Apple has in the past shared multiple short how to videos like this to highlight photography capabilities on the iPhone along with iPhone X features.

We're likely going to see several more videos focused on the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR in the coming weeks as Apple helps users adjust to the new features available on the devices.

Article Link: Apple Highlights Depth Control Feature on iPhone XS, XS Max and XR With New How To Video

2. bigboyz12000 macrumors regular

bigboyz12000

YOU: im just trying to adjust my phone to get those depth shots APPLE: NO, you're not doing it right..here, we have a video for that watch it! haha..thanks Apple.

3. urbanslaughter1997 macrumors regular

So, I have iOS12.1, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to adjust Depth Control in real time. What am I missing?

4. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

5. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

I never thought I’d hear a backing track comprised entirely of alert sounds, but there you go.

6. Bangarang143 macrumors newbie

Bangarang143

Don't have a 2018 iPhone? Download ProCam. That feature has been on there for years. Ding!

7. darkslide29 macrumors 65816

On an iPhone XS or XS max, when in portrait mode, look for the little f icon on the top right corner. Once you tap it, you'll see the familiar depth slider you see when doing this process after taking a picture.

8. McKodiak macrumors newbie

McKodiak

Click the "f" in the upper right hand corner while in portrait mode.

9. H818H macrumors member

Couldn't care less about this shiitty, fake depth of field BS that apple is pushing like it's the best thing since sliced bread

"We built a shittty photoshop-type effect right into the camera. $1000 please"

No deal

10. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

It’s human music dude. You know, from Earth radio. Until they can convert emojis to audio, it’s the best we’ve got.

Jeez you Apple haters find anything to criticise. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to dance to LED’s latest single, Bleep Me, Bleep You.

11. Jason98 macrumors newbie

Depth sensing tech still needs a lot of improvement. I would say the way it is done today is barely usable.
    This picture was taken by my iPhone X Max using the "portrait" mode.
    Take a look at the chair or at the right side of the pumpkin.

IMG_0041.jpg

12. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

You’re right. Barely usable. What a joke. Looks like a 1MP camera was trudged through custard and then a small child with a head resembling a lightbulb threw the phone in the air.

Simultaneously another child, also with a lightbulb-shaped head, was wearing a pair of oven gloves and soared through the air like a salmon to press the camera at the exact same time.

The result was the utter blur you’ve posted. Though honestly to my eyes I think it’s not too terrible. But hey, what do I know — I’m no photographer.

13. thasan macrumors 65816

yea, this is expected. the software is fooled. until we get time of flight in some way, we will have this problem for portrait.

14. MRI3T macrumors member

Why is this NOT possible with the iPhone X ???

Possible with the iPhone X

15. WBRacing macrumors 65816

*Is not allowed to do that.

16. Marconelly macrumors 6502

Marconelly

You can use the app called Focos that does this, and so much more - including adding lights to a scene you shot, and moving them around in 3D space. It's kind of insane and way more advanced than just this feature - and works on iPhone X and up.

17. Jimmy Bubbles macrumors 6502

Jimmy Bubbles

Same. I’m really trying to figure out what the supposed hardware limitations makes the X unable to do this. Anyone know? It maybe obvious and I’m missing it.

18. mi7chy, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018

mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Don't see what the big deal is. Moto had this feature they called 'selective focus' in their $200 1080p Moto G5s in 2017.

Apple not supporting it in the iPhone X is just shameful.

19. Jimmy Bubbles macrumors 6502

Jimmy Bubbles

Can everyone with iPhone X tweet/call Apple and “provide feedback” about this? I’m sure I’m not the only one who isn’t upgrading this year.

20. iMEric984 macrumors regular

iMEric984

It works better on people, animals, or solid shape things. Objects like what you were trying to snap, where there are several things in the foreground, it doesn’t know where to blur and not. It’s too busy as a scene for the software to isolate the background.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2018 ---
    But just like the pixel, it can’t do “real time” bokeh with adjustable blur. It processes it after you snap the picture.

21. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Geez, rather critical folks here. As with any camera/lens, sometimes one has to select a shooting scenario tailored to get best results (as Apple did in the video). One can have a $1k f/1.4 and still blow DOF, and wind up with a fuzzy subject or ugly bokeh or a background that's too sharp.

And as others have noted, Apple's camera and software are not the only choice. Lightroom CC's camera function does depth mode on phones back to the iPhone X (rear camera). And unlike Apple, it creates a mask. So you can use a brush to modify the masked area you want to change, and apply other edits besides say blur. Like just darken it. Sure, one could just use a brush to make a mask, but sometimes the depth mask gets you started more quickly.

22. MobiusStrip macrumors regular

This totally makes up for the lack of a headphone jack on Apple's best-selling music player.

23. Triumphguy675 macrumors newbie

Yeah, no thanks this portrait mode is a complete joke. I'll just continue to shoot with Sony A7III and a 1.4F Lens.

24. kanki1985 macrumors member

Just use camera + 2, for $2 people with dual lens camera will be spared of a $1000 upgrade.