Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Highlights 'Great Feedback' Received From Hundreds of Apple News+ Publishers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While the highlight of last week's iOS 12.3 release was a revamped TV app with a new "Channels" feature, the release notes also mentioned a minor change to the Apple News+ interface that did not receive as much attention.

Ensuring the feature gains some awareness, Apple in a press release today highlighted the ability for Apple News+ subscribers to follow publications directly from the Apple News+ catalog view in iOS 12.3 and macOS 10.14.5. New issues from followed titles are automatically downloaded and available offline.

Apple added that it has received "a lot of great feedback from hundreds of publishers" available in Apple News+, with quotes featured from editors of publications such as Vox, People, Harper's Bazaar, and Popular Science.

Apple's services chief Eddy Cue:
We've heard a lot of great feedback from the hundreds of publishers available in Apple News+. The latest updates to Apple News+ aim to best showcase their incredible journalism and put the most trusted news sources at readers' fingertips. Apple News+ customers are very engaged readers, with most visiting the News app daily. Hundreds of people at Apple, across editorial, engineering, marketing and design teams, are working to make Apple News+ the best experience for people who love reading their favorite titles and discovering new stories.
The feedback from editors can be read on the Apple Newsroom.

Article Link: Apple Highlights 'Great Feedback' Received From Hundreds of Apple News+ Publishers

Marco Klobas

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2017
Italy
Hundreds of people at Apple, across editorial, engineering, marketing and design teams, are working to make Apple News+ the best experience for people who love reading their favorite titles and discovering new stories.

I really hope that these “hundreds of people” will improve soon the app's usability.

Reactions: Todd Fisher

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA
Here's my feedback, please stop putting the News Plus articles all over my news feed. I have no interest in subscribing and these ads are very annoying.

Yes! It's nice to have News+ and base Apple News intermingled when you're a subscriber, but when you aren't, it's just taking up space with useless content. I'm fine with them promoting their product, but currently it's way to aggressive.

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
Here's my feedback, please stop putting the News Plus articles all over my news feed. I have no interest in subscribing and these ads are very annoying.

Exactly. There is a separate News+ tab for subscribers, use that for paid content. It feels like clickbait when I hit a featured article in the News app without seeing the small "news+" icon and get taken to a paywall page.

Reactions: paul4339

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Yes! It's nice to have News+ and base Apple News intermingled when you're a subscriber, but when you aren't, it's just taking up space with useless content. I'm fine with them promoting their product, but currently it's way to aggressive.

Exactly. There is a separate News+ tab for subscribers, use that for paid content. It feels like clickbait when I hit a featured article in the News app without seeing the small "news+" icon and get taken to a paywall page.

If you agree please submit feedback to apple to remove it https://www.apple.com/feedback/

:)

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
Agreed about the News+ placement in regular News articles. It's annoying as heck. That said, I'm considering signing up for it again. I initially signed up for free trial but found I wasn't reading it enough. There are definitely some magazines I'd like to read and I'd like to read more, but $9.99/mo is to add on top of the iCloud storage and Apple Music Plan. :/

For something that costs $9.99/mo it sure felt like a beta preview with half effort put into it.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany

Amazon Prime style. If there TV app is like that, I am not going to subscribe. Will stick to Netflix and maybe switch to Disney when it arrives.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010

If you agree please submit feedback to apple to remove it https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Are you saying that Apple is targeting ads for magazine titles based on the news topics in your feed? Hmm. Cook said that Apple doesn't surveil and monetize its customers. Another of Apple's carefully worded half-truths?

Reactions: Zachari

Zachari

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
Washington, DC
I switched to Google News when Apple started shoving Apple News+ articles in my feed. That really got me peeved.
[doublepost=1558453872][/doublepost]

Hmmm I clicked that feedback link and I didn't see a News app to give feedback... am I missing something or are they intentionally leaving it out?

Ken Magel

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2019

Tried this page and while it has lots of products to provide feedback on, News and News+ are no where to be found. Where is the feedback, really? How does one actually leave feedback on News or News+, really?

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
And as the the terrible reader experience?

I miss when Apple was good at interfaces.

Reactions: nvmls

axantas

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2015
Home

Same with the subscription for Apple Music, starting the Music-App. I do neither have not want any subscription. But every now and then I first have to tick "not now", before accessing MY LIBRARY...

They want to sell their stuff...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.