Apple Highlights 'Great Feedback' Received From Hundreds of Apple News+ Publishers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 21, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

While the highlight of last week's iOS 12.3 release was a revamped TV app with a new "Channels" feature, the release notes also mentioned a minor change to the Apple News+ interface that did not receive as much attention.

[​IMG]

Ensuring the feature gains some awareness, Apple in a press release today highlighted the ability for Apple News+ subscribers to follow publications directly from the Apple News+ catalog view in iOS 12.3 and macOS 10.14.5. New issues from followed titles are automatically downloaded and available offline.

[​IMG]

Apple added that it has received "a lot of great feedback from hundreds of publishers" available in Apple News+, with quotes featured from editors of publications such as Vox, People, Harper's Bazaar, and Popular Science.

Apple's services chief Eddy Cue:
    The feedback from editors can be read on the Apple Newsroom.

Article Link: Apple Highlights 'Great Feedback' Received From Hundreds of Apple News+ Publishers

2. Marco Klobas macrumors regular

Marco Klobas

I really hope that these “hundreds of people” will improve soon the app's usability.

3. WannaGoMac, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019

WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

4. calstanford macrumors regular

5. Phogro macrumors regular

Phogro

Yes! It's nice to have News+ and base Apple News intermingled when you're a subscriber, but when you aren't, it's just taking up space with useless content. I'm fine with them promoting their product, but currently it's way to aggressive.

6. now i see it macrumors 68040

I have no opinion and can't think for myself and have no preferences so if they like it then I will too

7. 78Bandit macrumors 6502a

78Bandit

Exactly. There is a separate News+ tab for subscribers, use that for paid content. It feels like clickbait when I hit a featured article in the News app without seeing the small "news+" icon and get taken to a paywall page.

8. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

If you agree please submit feedback to apple to remove it https://www.apple.com/feedback/

:)

9. BootsWalking macrumors 65816

I showed my great feedback...by cancelling my News+ subscription after the free, 30-day trial. App needs a lot of work.

10. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Agreed about the News+ placement in regular News articles. It's annoying as heck. That said, I'm considering signing up for it again. I initially signed up for free trial but found I wasn't reading it enough. There are definitely some magazines I'd like to read and I'd like to read more, but $9.99/mo is to add on top of the iCloud storage and Apple Music Plan. :/

For something that costs $9.99/mo it sure felt like a beta preview with half effort put into it.

11. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

I tried Apple News + and remembered how much more I like browsing the web, than reading static magazines. Wasn’t for me.

12. The Phazer macrumors 68030

"Lot of great feedback" = "The product we shipped was a total dog."

13. thasan macrumors 65816

Amazon Prime style. If there TV app is like that, I am not going to subscribe. Will stick to Netflix and maybe switch to Disney when it arrives.

14. Smoothie macrumors 6502a

When I canceled my free trial, I expected to see a feedback option to provide my reason. But nope.

15. truthertech macrumors 68000

Thanks for rushing out that metric. Tim's been anxiously awaiting it before Apple makes their next move.

16. racerhomie macrumors 6502

racerhomie

 News & News+ are some of the most under appreciated parts of the  ecosystem.

17. Phogro macrumors regular

Phogro

Technically there are no options to leave feedback on Apple News or News+ at the moment. It's mysteriously missing from the "iOS Apps" section.

18. Defthand macrumors 65816

Are you saying that Apple is targeting ads for magazine titles based on the news topics in your feed? Hmm. Cook said that Apple doesn't surveil and monetize its customers. Another of Apple's carefully worded half-truths?

19. IIGS User macrumors member

I get all my news from Facebook & Infowars, so there....

No, not really.

20. Zachari macrumors regular

Zachari

I switched to Google News when Apple started shoving Apple News+ articles in my feed. That really got me peeved.
    --- Post Merged, May 21, 2019 ---
    Hmmm I clicked that feedback link and I didn't see a News app to give feedback... am I missing something or are they intentionally leaving it out?

21. cardfan macrumors 68000

My feedback is that I cancelled it and hid the app again.

22. Ken Magel macrumors newbie

Tried this page and while it has lots of products to provide feedback on, News and News+ are no where to be found. Where is the feedback, really? How does one actually leave feedback on News or News+, really?

23. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

And as the the terrible reader experience?

I miss when Apple was good at interfaces.

24. axantas macrumors 6502

axantas

Same with the subscription for Apple Music, starting the Music-App. I do neither have not want any subscription. But every now and then I first have to tick "not now", before accessing MY LIBRARY...

They want to sell their stuff...

25. Digital Dude macrumors 6502a

Digital Dude

Arizona where freedom still means something
    Geez, MacRumors; can't you be a tad more discrete with your political bias?