Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
It is because they have different content as they are essentially different services.

The international version is co-owned by I.T.V. and the B.B.C. and provides access to current programmes from their channels as well as archive and original content. But current programming is not available on the British version because, obviously, it is freely available on television as well as the broadcaster's own free streaming services.

So Britbox U.K. is only archive content plus their few originals, is also now wholly owned by I.T.V., and from next month will be merged into their new streaming service anyway.

My question wasn't really about how they are different but rather what, if anything, changed to justify the notable price increase (especially in £) when the UK price stayed the same and the U.S. dollar is much stronger this year.

A year ago, the U.S. pre-sales tax monthly subscription price was $6.99 or about £5.10 which seemed to make senase as it was nearly the same as the UK pre-VAT monthly subscription price of £4.99. This year, however, the U.S. pre-sales tax monthly subscription price is $7.99 or about £7.10 which is significantly higher than the UK’s still £4.99 pre-VAT price.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Brazil price hikes are next since their fining of Apple this week. When will governments realise, if you fine Apple and/or force a mandate on them, they’ll increase their prices in that jurisdiction to more than cover it.

Yes, and it isn’t out of spite or vengefulness. They’re a global company, if the cost of doing business in a region is going up then they have to recoup that somehow. And the cost of doing business in the EU has steadily gone up, one court decision or legislative change at a time.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Brazil price hikes are next since their fining of Apple this week. When will governments realise, if you fine Apple and/or force a mandate on them, they’ll increase their prices in that jurisdiction to more than cover it.
In the infinitesimally small chance that this is somehow true, Apple isn't selling some basic necessity like rice or providing some essential service that people are compelled to purchase however high the price.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
In the infinitesimally small chance that this is somehow true, Apple isn't selling some basic necessity like rice or providing some essential service that people are compelled to purchase however high the price.

And even those have gone up massively. Friends in Europe tell me that electricity prices have risen by 40% or something like that. That, of course, would also add to Apple’s cost of doing business there.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
And even those have gone up massively. Friends in Europe tell me that electricity prices have risen by 40% or something like that. That, of course, would also add to Apple’s cost of doing business there.

Ouch is all I can say. Hope your EU friends are still getting along fine.

Reactions: dotnet

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I remember the days when the euro was 80% more worth than the dollar and the prices weren't lowered because of that :')
🤣👍🏼
745EF668-3CE5-4F84-BCB4-CCF831B75ED5.jpeg

hsotnicam8002

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
United Kingdom
U.K. inflation has officially gone up to 10.1%, not 20%, these price increases are not justified IMO with the extremes they have gone to.

The iPad Mini really isn't as much of a viable option now, you could kind of justify it before, but like with the IPhone Pro models now starting at 1100 for the 6.1", they are going over a threshold I don't think as many will be happy to pay.
And that's still with jelly scrolling effect.
Think exchange rate not inflation.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I think the Uk will be closer to Europe in the future in the sense that we will have a much weaker apple market. I see more and more people using android devices in general and I think we will be an Android dominated country in a few years. Most cant afford full price iPhone/iPads and we have a pretty awful government so it’ll just get worse.
Why do people always associate Android with ‘cheap’? My Z Fold 4 was comfortably the most expensive mobile phone on the market when I bought it a month or two ago and my previous Samsung Note phones cost every bit as much as a top iPhone.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Insane price increases, I had been hoping for a mini 7 in the next few months (maybe spring) so had held back on a mini 6 - especially as its been out over a year now.

So you are paying an extra £90 here in the UK for 13 month old technology !

Luckily some retailers here in the UK are still selling at the old price, snap one up quick !
4 year old tech really.
The next Mini needs a higher quality display panel and 8GB of RAM in order to command the price it does at the moment. It isn’t anywhere near cutting edge let alone in any way future proofed. They should be discounting the Mini 6 and not hiking the price.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

antonrg

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2019
Paris
Why do people always associate Android with ‘cheap’? My Z Fold 4 was comfortably the most expensive mobile phone on the market when I bought it a month or two ago and my previous Samsung Note phones cost every bit as much as a top iPhone.
Because Android offers cheaper options that iPhone does not. Indeed, there are expensive Android phones out there and you say you buy those, but there are also much cheaper options that offer more for the buck for the average customer than the iPhone does.

Reactions: TechLord

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
Most people who buy android or switch from apple to android aren't going for the Z Fold, top sold android phones are consistently budget models. Apple doesn't even sell a budget model in the traditional sense its all premium or midmarket; even the SE is priced as a midmarket model with lower than budget specs.

Top-model-chart-Feb22_V2.png

Reactions: antonrg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.