Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has hired Tim Connolly, a Hollywood executive with experience at Disney, Hulu, and Quibi, for Apple TV, according to The Telegraph.

TimConnollyVarietyEntertainmentTechnologyN_0L5rR1qg3l.jpg

Connolly was vice-president of digital distribution and new product development at Disney. He was one of the most senior executives at streaming startup Quibi, running partnerships and advertising, but he vacated the role before the video service launched earlier this year. Connolly also helped to launch Hulu's live TV service, which involved striking deals with other major networks. Similarly, he oversaw a deal between Spotify and Hulu to bundle their services.

Connolly's exact role at Apple is as yet unknown, but it seems likely that he will be involved in brokering deals for Apple TV's Channels feature. The Apple TV app allows users to buy and watch third-party streaming services directly within the app, but support has been limited thus far. Apple began selling subscriptions to combined services last month, with a bundle including CBS All Access and Showtime, for an overall lower price of $9.99. This move and the hiring of Connolly may indicate that Apple is planning to launch more similar bundles and bolster Apple TV Channels.

Given Connolly's experience in bundling services, it is also possible that he is involved in launching Apple's upcoming "Apple One" subscription service bundles. The series of bundles would allow customers to subscribe to several Apple digital services, such as Apple Music and Apple TV+, together. This is expected to result in a lower monthly price than when the services are subscribed to individually.

Apple did not respond to The Telegraph's request for comment. Connolly's arrival at Apple is yet another indication that the company is heavily investing in its TV and subscription service enterprises.

Article Link: Apple Hires Former Disney, Hulu, and Quibi Executive for Apple TV

Reactions: Ar40

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
Apple is going up against long running well established streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Dish Network's Sling and others. They need a good person at the top to help guide AppleTV into better services and to overtake the competition. If I was Apple right now I would buy dish network with sling and capture a large satellite company and existing streaming service sling. Just like Billy Durant did with GM. You buy up smaller car companies to make yours bigger. Apple has the cash I would be consolidating other TV providers into your business.

It is all about the number of subscribers for your service.

Marbles1

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
The customer experience / branding / communication of Apple TV has been atrocious.

It’s like they’ve not spoken to a single user.

‘The Apple TV app’, Apple TV+, Apple TV channels within the Apple TV app, Apple TV app channels on the Apple TV Box, streaming apps connected to the Apple TV app showing their content inside it on iOS devices only and not on the macOS Apple TV app, streaming apps as standalone apps on the Apple TV box but not available on macos....

It’s all such a mess. It smacks of too many cooks.

They need one person with a strong vision and the authority to sort it all out.

AndiG

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
Hope AppleTV+ fails the same way Ping did. The world doesn‘t need Apple curated TV shows.
But there is quite a chance Apple will fail with its service strategy since for services you a huge amount of users to be successful.
Apple realized this and was fighting to bring the app to TVs in the market. Suddenly it was possible to classify Amazon Prime App as a Reader App and let Amazon handle the Payment. And AppleTV+ needs to be installed on the Firestick or Googles TV stick as well.

So if you want to be successful in the service world, you need to be multi platform - something Apple really hates and fails to succeed in the most cases. WebKit/Safari was the one and only browse, nearly everyone switched to the WebKit engine. But Apple failed terrible the Windows version was a mess and a Linux version did never exist. The Google took control and forked the WebKit engine.
Today Chrome is one of the most popular browsers on Windows, Linux and even macOS.

No, Apple is not the best choice when it comes to multiple platforms - and you have to address multiple platforms when you want to succeed in the services world.

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
They’re only called “channels” on the older Apple TV models (3rd generation and earlier). For the 4th generation and later, they’re called what they should be called — apps.
I pretty sure you're wrong here, don't have mine in front of me, but an apple email received on July '20 - "Discover more on Apple channels" & I've got a 4K. Channels is where you pay the £4.99/month so apple can take it's cut.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: itsmeaustend

JM

macrumors 68000
Nov 23, 2014
Here I thought Walmart would be the Pixar Buy-N-Large, but it turns out it was really Apple all along.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ar40

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Apple is going up against long running well established streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Dish Network's Sling and others. They need a good person at the top to help guide AppleTV into better services and to overtake the competition. If I was Apple right now I would buy dish network with sling and capture a large satellite company and existing streaming service sling. Just like Billy Durant did with GM. You buy up smaller car companies to make yours bigger. Apple has the cash I would be consolidating other TV providers into your business.

It is all about the number of subscribers for your service.

If I were Apple right now I would prefer to massively invest in R&D, fix the colossal embarrassment that is Siri, pull iOS out of the "iOS 7 but with bloat" annual cycle limbo, modernise the entire Mac family into a best-in-class computer lineup, fix the actual Apple TV, and totally spin off vanity pet projects like the streaming Apple TV.

Sure, it's cool and services are the future blah, but Apple's brand is built on a (walled) ecosystem of hardware and software that's supposed to "just work" and right now it kinda doesn't. Especially to all of us non-american customers, Apple TV is pure noise.

Yes, I know, product/dev budgets and streaming service budgets are not conflated, but at the end of the day which investment counts more in brand building and international ROI? Me thinks not the latter.

But that's just me.

imnotthewalrus

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2015
earth
I hope Connolly can help ATV+ to define itself. Right now it’s an app (macOS, iOS), a hardware and a “channel” on smart TVs. I empathize with the critics, however the original programs they offer, in my opinion, are excellent.

• Love
Reactions: Ar40 and seanrt

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Tim Cook will do whatever he can to prove that AppleTV+ wasn't a mistake !

They went after the market (simply) because of the multiple that Netflix got.

Cook wants the greater AAPL to have a part of that.

To date, I don't see a single thing worth paying for !

IMO, their best strategy would be to Dump $10B USD into it annually, & offer it as a FREE 12 month Bennie to anyone who buys select AAPL Hardware !

There is nothing Apple about AppleTV+, & I think that's where they (mainly Cook) blundered !

But, it can be used to Prop Up the rest of the company, most-importantly, iPhone Unit Sales (NOT that many would use it as a key decision, but it may sway some, & most will at least watch a few things during their FREE year).

Also, I suspect AAPL's stock will take a HUGE hit if/when Cook is forced to disclose Paying Customers for AppleTV+, & here I don't just mean those who didn't know when their FREE period was up, & got charged for the first month OR two ... I mean those who actually paid for a FULL year, like what AAPL forces App Devs to do to get the extra 15% benefit !

jonblatho

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
I pretty sure you're wrong here, don't have mine in front of me, but an apple email received on July '20 - "Discover more on Apple channels" & I've got a 4K. Channels is where you pay the £4.99/month so apple can take it's cut.
Oh, I thought you were referring to how “apps” on the Apple TV used to be referred to as “channels” rather than the Apple TV Channels feature.

Mick-Mac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
My big concern with all of this is that with Apple also becoming a music and movie mogul they are just thinning out their resources away from their electronics core business (computers, gadgets etc.). While they have made good strides into the media space, others with a more singular focus have done a *much* better job of it despite entering the market later. I agree there is money to be made for Apple in all this, but I think the end game here for them is a gigantically diverse behemoth of a company - destined to be broken up whether they like it or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.