Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpitzerCR

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
OLPC.... they tried to get laptops to people all over the world...

Its official apple is taking over the world.. isnt this obvious?:D

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The above is just "fluff" with zero content. They don't even talk about one technical security feature or offer any data to back claims. And yes I means literally "not one" and "none". It is all strictly opinion without even an attempt at justifying the opinion presented.

I'm on my iPhone so I can't look up all this stuff for you now, but look around. His opinion matches up with many other things I've read online that do explain what they're talking about. I'm sure you can find some.

Spades

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
Wow, that's a lot of security for something that's almost free.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Bitfrost

A child may request a so-called developer key from OLPC. This key, bound to the child's laptop's (SN, UUID) tuple, allows the child to flash any BIOS she wishes, to accommodate the use case of those children who progress to be very advanced developers and wish to modify their own firmware.

Does anybody else find this funny? :D

Foreground programs may use all of the machine's CPU power. Background programs, however, may use no more than a fixed amount—currently we're looking to use 10%—unless given a special permission by the user.
The Sugar UI environment on the XO laptops does not support overlapping windows: only maximized application windows are supported. When we talk about foreground and background execution, we are referring to programs that are, or are not, currently displaying windows on the screen.

This is how Apple can implement/should have implemented background apps on the iPhone.

I like this Bitfrost system. Please implement it, Apple.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Woohoo... a security guy with an "If it ain't broke, you haven't played hard enough with it" mentality. I wonder how long developers will take to make their apps Bitfrost-aware? I've got my eye on YOU, Adobe.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Weird. I'm no expert when it comes to security but I thought to myself the other day wouldn't having apps in their own little 'space' make them extremely secure?

I must be brainier than I thought.

If you really were that brainy, you'd already have known how brainy you were.. ;)

It isn't the easiest thing to do, but it is important. The difficulty is in finding the right balance. There are support/configuration files that several apps need to read/access. My media (songs/photos/videos), several apps need to access. But my private documents, I'd want to limit access, so they can't easily be read/overwritten/deleted by any rogue app.

The one thing I'd love to see: a security manager in OSX. Where you can view every (non-Apple) executable on your machine, and turn internet access on or off, the ability to access your camera, or play sounds etc. You could also view every URL every app has tried to access etc.

Will be interesting to see what he brings to the OS.

philbeeney

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Vankleek Hill
I love this quote from the "about me" part of his blog.

"I'm a big believer in open source, which is an ancient African phrase meaning "no, I will not fix your Windows computer for you." :D

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Mousse said:
Woohoo... a security guy with an "If it ain't broke, you haven't played hard enough with it" mentality. I wonder how long developers will take to make their apps Bitfrost-aware? I've got my eye on YOU, Adobe.

I could not agree more.

I love this quote from the "about me" part of his blog.

"I'm a big believer in open source, which is an ancient African phrase meaning "no, I will not fix your Windows computer for you." :D

HAH! That needs to be on a shirt, I would definitely buy one.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Ads

You know, last night, as I was chuckling thru the new Mac spots, It occurred to me: If Apple is going to keep going down this "PCs have virus/trojan/malware" road it is really going to have to start backing it up hard core. Looks like they are working on it.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I guess we know one big change that will be in Mac 10.7.

It's good to get a guy like this on things, and to see Apple isn't being as lax about security as their commercials make them seem. I do hope the OS, in general, keeps the Unix core. I find it very useful as a developer.

amsterkiwi

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
Even with all their success on protecting us from virus's and spyware, they still bring in someone to make it better. Gotta love that in a company. Nice move apple. Now release an updated Macbook already. I'm ready to buy.

I agree COMPLETELY. Apple can't seem to do anything wrong but just get stronger, and better. Me too....Apple, pull finger and release the MBP with Quad Core (and Snow Leopard while you're at it) ASAP as I'm NEVER spending another cent on PC and wanting my first Mac to be one that will be "current" for at least a good few years.

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
Weird. I'm no expert when it comes to security but I thought to myself the other day wouldn't having apps in their own little 'space' make them extremely secure?

I must be brainier than I thought.

or you are just sensitive enough to pick up on Steve Jobs powerful brain waves. :D

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Whatever security Apple can integrate into the OS itself will be used by all applications. But to get an application itself to be Bitfrost-Apple v 2.0 aware, it might have to go through some sort of certification process, and non-compliant apps run through a programming environment that is BF-2 centric.

Rocketman

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Bitfrost, or something like it, is long overdue. The first consumer OS to implement this level of isolation is going to get massive positive publicity. And yes, this would go a long way towards stopping trojans.

Trojan: "Gimme your address book!"
Mail.app: "Address book, please."

It won't stop brute force methods of propagation.

Edit: Wow. Bitfrost can control just about all possible I/O. It could stop trojans and bot nets completely.

It can also be used against itself to cripple a system. Imagine that.

ryanw

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
This would be amazing!

It would be truly amazing if applications had zero access to the file system unless access through a specified OS API.

The browser never needs access to files except isolated in it's own cache directory or if you're saving a file. Saving a file would go through the OS API which would inturn leave you in control of overwriting files or saving files in bizarre places.

Things like Microsoft Word or Photoshop can do the same thing. The only thing they need access to is opening files and saving files when a user says to save it.

The only time a majority of the applications require read/write access to the entire filesystem is at installation.

Adding this extra level of security would be amazing. This would still leave installations the only vulnerable area, which ironically, this is where Mac OSX viruses/trojans are sneaking in through pirated versions of software.

http://rodstech.blogspot.com/2009/01/mac-trojan-beware-of-pirate-ilife-09.html

But this would be truly amazing.

ryanw

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
He's hired for his security knowledge, not to implement Bitfrost.

Hummm... When I'm hired for a job for a lot of money, it's to do something based on my prior history. If you're being hired to a burger joint or customer service, it's based on your current ability or knowledge, not prior history.

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
As Krstić notes on his personal web site, his expertise and passion lie in making computer security easy for users:Bitfrost is a security specification that "sandboxes" applications into their own virtual operating systems, preventing viruses or other programs from damaging the operating system or accessing files. Given the focus of OLPC on children, Bitfrost is designed to be almost invisible to the end user.Bitfrost is meant to improve upon the 35-year-old UNIX permission system which persists today in Mac OS X, but Bitfrost requires that individual applications be "Bitfrost-aware", meaning that the security specification is unlikely to easily transition to mainstream operating systems. Krstić's work on Bitfrost, however, demonstrates his focus on novel security approaches that are easy to use.

Sounds like an awesome choice by Apple to become more safe AND secure.

needsomecoffee

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
Seattle
GREAT Addition to Apple

Ivan is a great addition to Apple. Not just because he's a security expert, but because he is the type of creative, self-actualizing technologist any company would treasure. Nicholas sure screwed the pooch pissing guys like Ivan off at OLPC -- But we Apple users benefit (however, I would actually prefer a talent like Ivan had stayed at OLPC if that org would have stayed true to its objective and Wintel had not F*CKED the world over by being so damn paranoid).

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
He's hired for his security knowledge, not to implement Bitfrost.

That would seem extremely silly to hire someone with that kind of innovative expertise and not followup advancing the OS X security underbelly in terms of Apple's often promoted focus on ease-of-use. The idea of having an extremely secure system without having to become an expert in what amounts to very arcane knowledge to the average computer PC user would seem to be very appealing.

Bitfrost in some form coming in 10.7 ?

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Let's start this thread off with the correct terms so everyone knows:

Windows is more secure.
OS X is safer.

Users care more about safety, so Apple's on the right side of that equation. But let's keep our comments accurate, otherwise it gets very confusing.

More here:
http://daringfireball.net/linked/2009/05/13/security-safety

With all due respect to John Gruber at Daring Fireball, this is jibberish.
Security doesn't deal with 'secure' and 'safer'... those terms don't even occur in the CISSP 10 domains.
There are...
Vulnerabilities: weaknesses in a system
Threats: someone uncovering the vulnerability and developing a method of exploiting it
Risks: probability of a Threat Agent actually executing the threat against the vulnerability.

That's the context in which the whole discussion of 'are there enough Macs out there to justify writing a threat' occurs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.