Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craftytony

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Sycamore, IL
Interesting, never seen an S III stutter. Certainly not with my own personal experience. Screen is fairly decent(PenTile Matrix is hardly noticeable), and the camera is fairly high quality, but nice try. The 4S is top notch but it boils down to personal preference. :cool:

Looks like SIII "sluggishness" is not uncommon...maybe they need to send this "Samsung" guy back lol

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/587039-galaxy-s3-sluggish.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii/195359-help-s3-slow-sluggish.html#post2020747

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Bring it on.

Bring what on?

Regularly updated computers?
A full line of Macs and ACDs?
No more two generation old computer technology at rip off two year old prices?
Macs that don't come with a 50% sleek and shiny tax?
Macs that can be fully optioned with the latest upgrades without kludges?

Or just bring it on in general?

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
I have to think Intel is crapping themselves!

Apple has made the transition from PPC to x86 relatively painlessly.

Apple hires a few ex AMD smart people.
x86 is not as power efficient as ARM.
iOS is ARM
iOS is kind of a subset of OS X.

Does Apple have OS X running on ARM?
I think so.

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
Didn't Apple design it's own chip for the iPhone 5? I'm honestly asking here but I thought they did.
A common misconception. Apple only designs SoC. The processor is still designed and manufactured by Samsung.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
A common misconception. Apple only designs SoC. The processor is still designed and manufactured by Samsung.

Samsung only manufactures it for Apple. The design used to be ARM reference designs with a GPU from Imagination Technologies, but with the A6, it's rumored to be an Apple design that just implements a ARM v7 instruction set.

----------

Does Apple have OS X running on ARM?
I think so.

Of course they do, iOS uses the same Foundation frameworks, the same kernel and probably quite a few OS services. The UI layers are different.

But.

ARM SoCs that can compute as much information as x86 processors won't be more power efficient than the processors, and will result in lessened compatibility. x86 SoCs that are as power efficient as ARM SoCs are also possible, as Intel taught us with MedField.

In essence, there is no advantage in moving their laptops to yet another new architecture.

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Got it!

Just for those keeping score:
Making a phone with rounded corners and "swipre to unlock" etc?????
COMPLETELY UNETHICAL! Do NOT buy a TV from these people.

Having your phones assembled in a sweatshop where the workers are ritually mistreated so you can keep your margins sky-high?
Nothing to see here. How dare you! This is a great company. It isn't even Apple it's the people they pay to build their stuff!!!! Also please put all the items you purchase from said company in your signature.

Though Apple has patents on everything, they only sued Samsung because they stole everything. There's nothing wrong with buying a product based off how their brand makes you feel.

Also, Samsung uses Foxconn! :eek: I know... you don't to believe it. It's on Foxconn's wikipedia page. Samsung was also in the news because in addition to using Foxconn, their own factories had underage workers in them. So not just third party suppliers being unethical, but their own factories with unsavory practices. But you wouldn't want the truth at all...

you people smh

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
Though Apple has patents on everything, they only sued Samsung because they stole everything. There's nothing wrong with buying a product based off how their brand makes you feel.

Also, Samsung uses Foxconn! :eek: I know... you don't to believe it. It's on Foxconn's wikipedia page. Samsung was also in the news because in addition to using Foxconn, their own factories had underage workers in them. So not just third party suppliers being unethical, but their own factories with unsavory practices. But you wouldn't want the truth at all...

You're just furthering my point that they all use the same questionable business practices, ao to claim the moral high ground for apple is disengenuous at best.

iphoneclassic

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
USA
So... they aren't really that rare, just the called rare because mining with conventional methods only make a few mines commercially viable.

Seems like a silly reason to let one reason have a strangle hold on the chip production business.

Looks like you haven't read the full story. It is not a silly reason. It is a major factor why most electronic gadgets are made it China.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/14/2869304/us-eu-japan-china-rare-earth-metal-trade-complaint-wto

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008

Most of the stutter that people notice on these isn't actually all that related to the particular phone, but to Android itself. Not much can be done to avoid it when using a VM with garbage collection.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
I don't think it is Samsung hate or just hate on their phones. Samsung makes a few more parts for the iPhone if I am not mistaking.

It seems most people don't actually know what parts Apple uses in the iPhone from Samsung. People think it's tons of stuff, when it's really very little.

1) NAND. Samsung is one of many suppliers of NAND. Others I've seen include Toshiba and Hynix.
2) SoC fabrication. Samsung does the manufacturing of Apple's SoC designs.
3) DRAM. Alongside Elpida, Samsung makes DRAM.

That's basically it. NAND and DRAM are all commodity items. These two parts can be obtained from numerous other companies.

The SoC fabrication is the only one with significant investment because chips are designed to work with a fabrication process. The last usage of a Samsung-designed SoC in an iOS device was the iPhone 3GS.

LCDs are LG & Sharp, I believe. I can't recall a single sighting of a Samsung LCD in an iPhone since the original iPhone 4.

RBR2

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2003
<snip>

...the press doesn't seem to remember that Apple even builds Macs any more.

(Sometimes I wonder whether Apple itself remembers that.)

/nostalgia

Yea, that's the problem. It seems that Apple have become intoxicated with the incredible success of the iPhone and iPad (according to company sources, both were surprises to them).

As the overwhelming majority of the company's revenues it is not surprising. If the company does not devote sufficient resources to the computer side of the house it may stagnate and decline. If Apple keeps showing less interest in developing the computer lineup a time may come, and soon, where it would make business sense to either make it a separate division where its resources can't be raided all the time or, perhaps, to spin it off which would be an interesting, but high risk move.

Apple have shown even less interest in the business market. The problem there is even more acute in terms of the hardware not being what the customers want, although they would like access to the OS. Gee, maybe there is a business opportunity for a company devoted to an OS...like, uh, oh, you get it. (Snicker) Seriously, there is money to be made from the OS.

I doubt Apple will change they way they do business about computers though. For a company that talks so much about innovation, they are following a well worn path for those products, but can you imagine the commotion opening up the OS would cause? It would be epic.

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Ok,but X86 or Arms?
Or Maybe Hybrid ones?
Then why not to buy AMD entirely?!..
Maybe because they're..gadget makers..
not yet Mac makers..anymore.
For now please Apple give us some new Imacs,
i promise ,i will buy one of you Arm Parade
next decade.

What? I mean't edible Apple Chip. Apples sliced up and air dried.

mmmm Delicious!

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Looks like you haven't read the full story. It is not a silly reason. It is a major factor why most electronic gadgets are made it China.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/14/2869304/us-eu-japan-china-rare-earth-metal-trade-complaint-wto

I read the story. Not being able to mine minerals with conventional methods doesn't mean that new or unconventional methods cannot be developed.

I think innovation is still possible in all fields. The payoff in the end is worth the effort.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
They shouldn't let children under the age of 6 to post on this site.

On the other hand, sometimes they increase the average quality of posts :p

Soon the MBP, MBA and iMac will be sporting AMD like processors. And kiss the Mac Pro goodbye. But at least Apple will be getting rid of Samsung, and that is what is truly important to the consumer.

That makes my point about six year olds increasing the average quality of posts :-(

I read the story. Not being able to mine minerals with conventional methods doesn't mean that new or unconventional methods cannot be developed.

There are plenty of rare earth materials everywhere. The problem is that extracting a useful amount of rare earths is either (1) very expensive or (2) very polluting. You are free to choose which one. If you don't mind the pollution you can produce any amount of rare earths anywhere in the world. Western countries are not willing to accept the pollution, that's why they have no chance to produce at competitive prices.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Whats the real deal here behind Apple targeting hiring of Samsung forer employees?

Do any people here think this could turn bad?

Think about it.... People from a previous company move to Apple, or Apple hires then, when they leave Samsung....

ine may say, they need them. But what about the battle between them?

Don't people think this could be leaked, as 'inside informatin'?

tylernol

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2012
He'll move to Cupertino.

Apple does most , if not all, of the chip design here in Austin. They have an office off of 360 which is growing quickly.

----------

It seems most people don't actually know what parts Apple uses in the iPhone from Samsung. People think it's tons of stuff, when it's really very little.

1) NAND. Samsung is one of many suppliers of NAND. Others I've seen include Toshiba and Hynix.
2) SoC fabrication. Samsung does the manufacturing of Apple's SoC designs.
3) DRAM. Alongside Elpida, Samsung makes DRAM.

That's basically it. NAND and DRAM are all commodity items. These two parts can be obtained from numerous other companies.

The SoC fabrication is the only one with significant investment because chips are designed to work with a fabrication process. The last usage of a Samsung-designed SoC in an iOS device was the iPhone 3GS.

LCDs are LG & Sharp, I believe. I can't recall a single sighting of a Samsung LCD in an iPhone since the original iPhone 4.

Apple has been moving off of DRAM and Nand from Samsung, and the SOC fabrication is allegedly moving to TSMC for the next generation of "A" processors.

----------

Yea, that's the problem. It seems that Apple have become intoxicated with the incredible success of the iPhone and iPad (according to company sources, both were surprises to them).

As the overwhelming majority of the company's revenues it is not surprising. If the company does not devote sufficient resources to the computer side of the house it may stagnate and decline. If Apple keeps showing less interest in developing the computer lineup a time may come, and soon, where it would make business sense to either make it a separate division where its resources can't be raided all the time or, perhaps, to spin it off which would be an interesting, but high risk move.

Apple have shown even less interest in the business market. The problem there is even more acute in terms of the hardware not being what the customers want, although they would like access to the OS. Gee, maybe there is a business opportunity for a company devoted to an OS...like, uh, oh, you get it. (Snicker) Seriously, there is money to be made from the OS.

I doubt Apple will change they way they do business about computers though. For a company that talks so much about innovation, they are following a well worn path for those products, but can you imagine the commotion opening up the OS would cause? It would be epic.

the PC industry is already stagnating and declining. Why invest heavily in a market like that? Apple is going after the growth in portables -- Macbook Air/Pro , iPad, and iPhone.

Apple will never ever open OSX or iOS up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.