Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
If its all the same to Apple i'd much rather stay in actual reality... but VR is still good..

None if these are out to the public yet, and Apple is already here.

U can also bet, since this is a "small team" then it won't be out anytime soon then.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Whatever technology Apple touches, all of the sudden there's a ton of content for it. So I'm happy about this. After using the Gear VR with my S6 Edge, I'm convinced VR is the truth.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
You have no idea.

Sadly for fanboys, Apple doesn't actually make a computer capable of pushing immersive VR.

Actually if your looking at VR purely in the gaming sense and from an Oculus POV Then the Mac pro would be the closest however VR is not just got gaming and thats probably not the direction apple would go in anyway.

They could be building a standalone headset or one that would work with the iPhone. I don't see why people always associate VR with gaming when there are other purposes for it.
[doublepost=1453469020][/doublepost]
Just like they were late to the party with 64-bit phone chips, fingerprint scanners, mobile payments, etc etc etc. </s>

While its grasping at straws. Apple was not late to the game with a 64-Bit chip. They were the first and even had qualcomm worried for a bit. Mobile payments? If your talking about unsecured mobile payments with then your right but if your talking about biometric mobile payments then they were first.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Apple made the iPod because MP3 players sucked

Apple made the iPhone because phones at the time sucked

Apple wants to make VR because why??

Apple hasn't said they want to do anything yet. At least wait and see before shooting it down.

Just make your graphic cards good enough to handle this awesome third party hardware that is already light years ahead of you.

You sound just like the people who didn't want them to make phones...

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
While its grasping at straws. Apple was not late to the game with a 64-Bit chip. They were the first and even had qualcomm worried for a bit. Mobile payments? If your talking about unsecured mobile payments with then your right but if your talking about biometric mobile payments then they were first.
Yeah, look back at the original post. That was sarcasm.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
I just don't see it, it's a waste, really. We've been through this before, and the same issues exist as the 90s... VR sickness. The US DOD has been researching this stuff to the tune of billions... VR sickness. Oculus has been working on this near a decade... VR sickness.

It's time to recognize the trend. You can fool the eyes, but you can't fool the ears and your equilibrium will remain off... you can't fool your body into walking unnatural to your what your own expected, no-thinking gait actually is. You can't fool the effects of gravity on your body. It's a pipe dream. VR sickness is unavoidable, at best you can only slow down how quickly it hits... or you buy stock in dramamine... a hallucinogen.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
What do I know? But I feel Apple doesn't have a VR goal. They are just snapping up talent and companies to keep other companies from getting them. I think Steve Jobs' vision went as far as the iPad. It took him over 20 years to achieve that goal and now we wait to see what happens next. I think we're in for a long quiet period in technology.
Apple doesn't often reveal much about its goals when a product is still in the development stage. With all of Steve Jobs' "vision", your knowledge of what the iPhone would be like before it was first introduced was extremely limited, and most likely completely wrong. Even when the iPhone was made available, users of "real smartphones" sneered at it. Sure it was slick, but it didn't have a physical keyboard, no app store, not even such a basic function as copy/paste. So much for Steve Jobs' vision. Apple was doomed.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
a virtual reality device could be classified as a computer.

Very much so. Think of it as a "post tablet era" :)

The augmented reality goggles - such as Microsoft's HoloLens - are particularly interesting. Some of the applications I've heard for that are incredibly cool. I'm no fan of MS, but it's odd to hear about cool tech coming from them, while Apple focuses on CPU bumps and incremental OS features.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
VR is definitely not dead. Nor will it be anytime soon. Apple is smart (although a little late) to move in this direction - whether it's for their car, or creating an AppleVR headset. It's a natural and organic fit to both their mobile computing/phone and AppleTV products.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
That's pretty funny.

I never really cared about VR until I got a free Google Cardboard and the tried the VRSE app. Hella cool.

Go into a Best Buy and try their Gear VR. Google Cardboard is great. But the headset Samsung has is very comfortable and more immersive - not to mention, it has its own sensors so things are very smooth. I'm sure a Rift is even better - but for Samsung new device owners, $99 for this piece of tech is a steal.

Reactions: Saucesome2000

Roykor

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
Apple has never really bean first with anything. Usually just the first to get it right.

And it's true you need a really high-end card today, but in a few years they will be common place.

Here is a statement from Oculus:

"The recommended spec will stay constant over the lifetime of the Rift. As the equivalent-performance hardware becomes less expensive, more users will have systems capable of the full Rift experience." Source.

Sometimes its not bad to say: Sorry community, we mist the boat this time!

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Go into a Best Buy and try their Gear VR. Google Cardboard is great. But the headset Samsung has is very comfortable and more immersive - not to mention, it has its own sensors so things are very smooth. I'm sure a Rift is even better - but for Samsung new device owners, $99 for this piece of tech is a steal.

If Samsung would update their phones in a timely manner I would be using a Gear VR with a S6 right now. And I would also be using Samsung pay a lot more than Apple Pay as well.
Samsung fixed the design of the phone with premium materials but they stepped back with software updates. I'm looking forward to the S7 but I know that the software issue would drive me crazy.
[doublepost=1453487212][/doublepost]
I wouldn't say the iPad was ground breaking. I would say the iPhone was ground breaking and iPad iterated on that. From a new tech perspective, the Apple Watch, Apple Pencil and the new Apple TV were all more groundbreaking than the original iPad, IMO.

Apple has been very busy the past couple of years introducing a ton of products/innovations so I actually wouldn't mind seeing them slow down in 2016 and focus on refining them and ensuring everything in the Apple ecosystem worked seamlessly.

Apple Watch and Apple TV more groundbreaking than iPad? No way. Even Apple called ATV a hobby and the Apple Watch is a beta product that happens to be a consumer product; it still needs tons of work. The iPad basically made Android tablets look like crap and is the reason why we have Apple pencil today.
If I had my choice between a iPad, ATV or Apple pencil it would be the original 9.7" tablet.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

jpine

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
My Rig is Oculus Rift ready and my pre-order was completed within 10 minutes of go live. Shipping will commence on March 28th. Apple just lost my money.

I'm running DK2 right now on a cMP, Bootcamp, and a 7970 GPU (the latter is marginal at best). Saving my money for the Vive, custom Windows machine with a nVidia 980ti. You screwed up Apple.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
They never stopped. Calm the **** down.

[...]
You remind me of the guy who wants to dine at a group's former favorite restaurant, because "the place totally still exists" even after they got a new (bad) chef and a new menu without proper value proposition.

Glassed Silver:mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.