Apple Hires NASA Augmented Reality Expert Jeff Norris

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 24, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has hired Jeff Norris, an augmented reality expert who founded the Mission Operations Innovation Office at NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab, reports Bloomberg.

Norris has reportedly joined Apple as a senior manager working on the augmented reality team led by Mike Rockwell, who formerly ran Dolby Labs. The team is said to be working on the previously-rumored augmented reality smart glasses as well as AR features for future versions of the iPhone.

Prior to joining Apple, Norris worked at the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, where he was employed since 1999. Along with founding the Mission Operations Innovation Office, he founded the JPL Ops Lab for developing human-system interfaces for mission operations, and he led multiple projects focused on human-system interaction with an emphasis on virtual and augmented reality.

On his website, Norris features a speech he gave on augmented reality and Nasa's JPL Ops Lab, much of which was focused on augmented reality headsets and their uses.

Under Norris' leadership, the JPL Ops Lab provided the Microsoft HoloLens to astronauts onboard the International Space Station and developed software for virtually working on Mars with the HoloLens.

For the last couple of years, Apple has taken a deep interest in augmented and virtual reality, and is said to have a large team of employees working on the technologies and exploring ways they could be used in future Apple products.

Apple has been working on both virtual reality headsets and augmented reality smart glasses, with the aim of launching the latter in 2018. We've also heard rumors suggesting augmented reality functionality could be incorporated into the iPhone, perhaps as early as the iPhone 8 set to be released this September.

Apple CEO Tim Cook has expressed his excitement about augmented reality several times in recent months. "I think AR is that big, it's huge. I get excited because of the things that could be done that could improve a lot of lives," he said in February of 2017.

Article Link: Apple Hires NASA Augmented Reality Expert Jeff Norris

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

they couldn't figure out how to make the iPhone thinner so they're making glasses that will make your iPhone look thinner.

3. Zirel, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017

Zirel Suspended

Zirel

After Google's failed attempt at AR (Google Glass) and VR (Daydream), after Occulus and HTC failed commercially, Samsung is using their passive helmets as a "pre-order bonus gift"... Apple can take the opportunity and create a real market with AR.

It is time for the platform grown-ups to fight: Apple vs Microsoft

4. lincolntran macrumors 6502a

lincolntran

5. stevie grant Suspended

How do I downvote you?

6. lkrupp macrumors 6502a

Yep. it always takes Apple to figure out how to do it right. The others throw in the kitchen sink without understanding how the consumer will use it. But they can thump their chest and say ‘We have a kitchen sink!”

7. HappyDude20 macrumors 68030

HappyDude20

In a few years the Apple Watch ⌚️ will be obsolete.

8. mejsric macrumors 6502a

mejsric

History repeats itself.

They failed, now its Apple time.

9. Aluminum213, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017

Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I'm sure Tim Cook will put him on making new stickers for iOS 11

10. cube macrumors P6

11. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

APPLE HIRES BARNEY, PURPLE DINOSAUR & EXPERT IN HOW TO CLEAN THINGS UP.

Expert Analyst - "Apple to enter cleaning business with the next iPhone X Concept, utilizing kid friendly words like 'clean up clean up, everybody everywhere."

12. konqerror macrumors 6502

JPL is not NASA. NASA, like the rest of the Federal government is too bureaucratic to fire people, so likewise they don't hire people. They have to hire Caltech as a contractor so that employees aren't government workers, so they don't get civil service protections.

13. stevie grant Suspended

and?

14. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

15. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

Next thing you will realize is that you will be awaken to the world of matrix.

16. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

Almost as witty as another emoji joke.

17. Phil in ocala Suspended

Phil in ocala

18. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

This.

Apple, and only Apple, has all the pieces in place to crack the AR nut and deliver the product that, once again, will change our society (this time for the worse, if you ask me).

19. jeremiah256 macrumors 65816

jeremiah256

With Microsoft, Amazon and Facebook hindered by having their attempts at a mobile phone fail, Apple's only current competition in the mobile AR market is Google. And, Google, as you've pointed out, has been having issues.

20. Soccertess macrumors 65816

I thought it was funny, I'll give you another one you might like.

Maybe Tim will put him to work on his other revolutionary product, watch bands ;)

Tim deserves all the bad press he gets, that's what happens when you don't update a form factor for three years or forget to update products for years. Tim = Lame duck CEO

21. robjulo macrumors 65816

Right after they "crack" television, right?

22. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

What has Apple figured out in the AR market?

23. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

I wonder if I will get my hair back in augmented reality? And will women be less confusing? Will my rabbit constantly talk about the time?

24. novablink macrumors newbie

One is independent of the other. All those companies have cash to burn to get into the AR market. Microsoft is the only one with a credible product at the moment (HoloLens). Having tried the "Walking on Mars" experience with the HoloLens, I have to say that Microsoft has an amazing version one product. If they can make the AR "box" larger, and lower the cost of the device ($3,000 at the moment), they will be front runners in this market.

25. mrcobra92 macrumors 6502

Oh go take a long walk off our "flat" earth.