Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has hired two former Mercedes engineers to join the company, likely as part of its effort to continue to build out its internal workforce as the development of an "Apple Car" continues.

apple-park-drone-june-2018-2.jpg

The leading new hire previously worked at Mercedes, focusing on mass production of vehicles, vehicle steering, dynamics, and software and project management. The hire, now working as a product design engineer at Apple at its "Special Projects Group," also previously worked at Porsche, undertaking similar responsibilities. A second engineer who previously worked at Mercedes has also recently been tapped by Apple to join the company, MacRumors has learned.

The Apple Car, internally codenamed "Project Titan," is one of the company's most secretive projects. Despite a myriad of rumors, Apple's ultimate goal in the automotive space remains unclear. The most recent hires by Apple joins a list of former engineers and executives the Cupertino tech giant has tapped in from some of the world's largest car makers.

As the company continues to build up its workforce with skills and talents needed to produce and develop a car, Apple has also had several setbacks. The company lost several top managers from "Project Titan" over the course of the year, potentially derailing the timeline for an "Apple Car." Kevin Lynch, well known for work on the Apple Watch, is helping to lead "Project Titan."

While Apple has invested in its in-house talent over the past years, it will also need to rely on third parties to help it get the wheels moving. Apple is reportedly in discussions with several suppliers, including its most significant, Foxconn, and carmakers regarding a partnership. The talks and discussions have so far not materialized into any formal deal.

Foxconn, which serves as the mass producer for the iPhone, is likely to be tapped to play some role in the supply chain of an Apple Car, said to be at least half a decade away. One of Apple's most recent aforementioned hires previously held responsibilities in the mass production release schedule of Mercedes cars, which could be an asset to the company.

Article Link: Apple Hires Two Former Mercedes Engineers to Join Special Projects Group as Apple Car Rumors Increase

chrisdazzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2006
Colorado
While I doubt Apple is actually working on a car (I'm going to guess car technology), I really hope: A. tech blogs stop using images of smooshed Tesla Model 3's with a glowing Apple logo plastered on the front and back (so horribly ugly), and B. Apple partners with an OEM and spins off a new brand therein if they do ever produce a car.

With Apple's new M1 chips and the future looking real bright for future MX chipsets, why not start producing in-car "computers" that power audio, sensors, etc.? That makes a lot more sense than this hypothetical "Apple car" that gets fanboys drooling all over themselves. Watch Apple leapfrog GM/VW/Tesla et al's sensor arrays and "autopilot" software with a much smaller hardware footprint, level 4-5 operation, and sell it to manufacturers - unlikely as most manufacturers have their own versions, though, and that's a tall mountain to climb, even for Apple.

rcread

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Duvall, WA USA
I'm really curious what they envision for an Apple car. Fully autonomous cars are not likely to be realized within my lifetime. I wonder what value they expect to add to what's already out there.

citysnaps

macrumors G3
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
I'm really curious what they envision for an Apple car. Fully autonomous cars are not likely to be realized within my lifetime. I wonder what value they expect to add to what's already out there.

My guess: I suspect much better battery technology/chemistry/capacity, propulsion, electronics, perhaps meaningful integrated AR, etc.

Realityck

macrumors 68020
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Since a Tesla is heavily software based why wouldn't Apple just make their own environment? Look at https://www.tesla.com/AI does it remind you of anything that Apple is perfectly capable of? I think the whole concept of autonomous cars is very risky as human oversight is still a prime requirement in spite of whatever Musk preaches. But there is a awful lot of accident prevention systems that can be improved on compared to todays car offerings. Likely Apple has been showing automotive vendors what they are working on, to see if they are interested in incorporating it into future transportation vehicles. So no Apple car but multiple manufacturers using their technology would be a great expansion into new marketplaces.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.