Apple hiring event tomorrow, little nervous..

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Shadowhunta, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Shadowhunta, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

Shadowhunta macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, this is my first post here :)
    I have an invite to an Apple hiring event tomorrow (i'm in the UK) and was curious as to what to expect from it all? The invite says "Casual dress is fine" i was thinking black trousers and shoes with a purple shirt tucked in but the top button or two undone?
    Any helpful advice you can give me would be much appreciated :)

Thankyou!! :)

2. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I worked in Apple, though not in retail. Casual dress means wear whatever you like (within reason! ;) ). All you need to show is knowledge of Mac/Apple/iOS, a friendly nature, and genuine enthusiasm. There's no reason to be nervous :)

p.s. no idea on starting wages, sorry!

3. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

I heard they love it when you come in wearing a butterfly or dinosaur costume. That's what I would do if I were you.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Don't do butterfly. It might imply you like using msn or something. Dino would be fun though: they'd love it!

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I was at one recently but didn't get the job due to being painfully shy and crap at answering pointed questions.

That said, I got through the first round (The Hiring Event) mostly just by not acting/looking like a total douche. It was the multiple person interview that I borked.

Suffice to say you're in for a real treat with countless weirdos, and if it's the same girl that did ours - a real stunner giving you a lecture on how great Apple's buildings are for an hour and then some group activities.

Unfortunately due to an NDA, I'm obligated not to go into any more detail.

6. 03jcrhr macrumors member

I heard you automatically get the Job if you go dressed in crappy old white trainers, blue jeans and a black long sleeve high neck polo ;)

7. Shadowhunta thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the serious, and not so serious responses LOL

I don't know if my casual attire of jeans and t-shirt would cut it tbh, so i think it might be best to go with the smart trousers, shoes and top button undone shirt option, does anyone have anymore advice at all?

8. 03jcrhr macrumors member

Well Apple Store Employees just wear the blue (or whatever colour) t-shirt and then anything else they want - jeans, shorts, long sleeve top underneath, ear piercings, gelled hair, beards etc. so I can't think they are going to be to bothered.

I would go with smart jeans/trousers/chinos and then a smart shirt with top button undone and smartish shoes. Some people would consider it casual wear but it doesnt give off a scruffy look and shows some style

9. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

People over think this. Most of the guys there just wore jeans and a topman-ish shirt or tshirt. They do not really care. The important thing is that your personality shines through. Be polite, don't talk crap for ages, but offer your opinion if you've got something worth saying.

They take notes with iPads throughout, if you can make people laugh, or you're slightly interesting, you're onto a winner.

10. Shadowhunta thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i consider my personality one of my best qualities, so heres hoping :)

11. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

It sounds to me that from what everyone has said the event seems to me the event is not only to test your knowledge but see how you react with others. It actualy sounds fun, I guess that's how they want it to be. It looks like if u have the knowledge and you are able to explain to others who are not as smart ( because face it there are many do not know how to set up an iPod) . I don't know about you but in the apple store near me they usually speak simple until they realize that I am capable then they speak geek. I'm sure u will do fine.

12. dekkytsh macrumors newbie

Hey mate,
    Met you at the event today, hope to see you soon! Post up your youtube link, I completely forgot to ask!

dek

13. Jamyj2 macrumors newbie

Great to meet you at the event today, look forward to (Hopefully) working with you in the future! Good luck!

-James

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I know this is kinda late, but I would have definitely gone with "the steve"
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. Shadowhunta thread starter macrumors newbie

It was a good day!! I *really* hope that i get to work with you guys again as we all got one amazingly well considering we'd only just met!!

16. Fonecrusher macrumors newbie

About 70% of the guys at mine wore some combination of black skinny jeans and a checked shirt, with a jumper/cardie. Hell I was going to wear something similar, before I decided on the more conservative collared shirt/black slacks.
    My line of thought being it's better to overdress than under...

17. Shadowhunta thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, i've heard nothing back yet, but it is only monday lol!

18. dekkytsh macrumors newbie

Nothing here, but they did say a week so fingers crossed! Let me know the outcome, I hope everyone there gets a 2nd interview because everyone was awesome!

:apple:

19. Jamyj2 macrumors newbie

20. dekkytsh macrumors newbie

I just got emailed, no second interview for me. I have to say I'm very disappointed. I can't see why I wouldn't have been picked, I made sure I answered her questions, made sure I was the first to do things and such but oh well. Good luck guys, hope you get through

21. Shadowhunta thread starter macrumors newbie

Same here, no second one for me either, i'm a little annoyed as i thought we gelled well and they even said they liked that..*sigh* nevermind.

22. dekkytsh, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

dekkytsh macrumors newbie

I bet I know who got through... *cough cough* equal rights my arse. I made sure I stood out, I even made the effort to go to Reading to talk to the store manager and stuff. All my effort went to **** just like every other job application.

I guess I should lie and say I have 10 years retail experience next time, although "thats not what they want".

23. Shadowhunta thread starter macrumors newbie

No sense getting too worked up about it Dek, something will come along soon buddy :) AT least they emailed us to let us know we were unsuccessful, most places don't even bother to do that!

24. Jamyj2 macrumors newbie

Turned down too. 'we have chosen to move forward with other candidates that meet the needs of today.'

What's that supposed to mean? Am I too 'outdated' for them? I'm 17 ffs!

25. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

IMO that sounds like you don't have enough experience yet (I could be wrong, though)