Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

185121-apple_store_call.jpg

MacDailyNews reports that it has received information from multiple sources indicating that Apple is in the midst of hiring new telesales staff in preparation for the October launch of a new product described as "huge" and "significant".
These sources also tell us that Apple will begin an intensive four-week training course for these new hires starting next week. The training is said to be in preparation for an October release of "a very big new product."
While Apple is widely expected to refresh its iPod lines next month, Digg's Kevin Rose over the weekend indicated that he is hearing rumors of a September release of the revamped Apple TV reportedly to be redubbed "iTV". Whether this might be the product cited by MacDailyNews' sources, possibly seeing a September introduction and an October release, is unknown.

MacDailyNews has been an infrequent and sometimes-incorrect source of rumors, and so we are publishing this item on Page 2 for interest and discussion.

Article Link: Apple Hiring New Telesales Staff to Support 'Very Big New Product'?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'm game. Who doesn't need a new Apple gadget? :D

Seriously, if they release something new, it's likely that the top 3 xmas gifts this year will be Apple products. (iPhone, iPad and new release)

Comment

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Hopefully it won't be better than my new iMac that I've just ordered

Still hopefully pretty cool at the same time

Comment

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Apple is buying Disney

Apple is finally buying Walt Disney Company after all these decades of rumors and speculation. Why? To provide Apple Inc. with their own content to sell to all those hundred million iDevice + iOS users through iTunes after their massive upgrades to MobileMe and iTV.

The tech support people are being hired to handle all the "My 2 year old put peanut butter on our DVD of Race to Witch Mountain and stuck it in our DVD player. What should I do?" :)

Comment

space1nvaders

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
iTV

It has to be iTV. There is huge potential in bringing an iPhone experience to TV using iOS. Apple is just a couple clicks away from replacing Directv for me. I already use Apple TV instead of Pay-per-view and ordering movie channels. Even though I have 2 TB of video on my iTunes server, I can see where streaming it makes more sense if you can do it with the same performance. Soon TV remotes will be a thing of the past. The future is finally here.

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
iTV plus a new system of media delivery.

They wouldn't need a new staff just to sell set-top boxes.

Comment

womble2k2

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
London
Apple Hiring New Telesales Staff to Support 'Very Big New Product'?

MacDailyNews reports that it has received information from multiple sources indicating that Apple is in the midst of hiring new telesales staff in preparation for the October launch of a new product described as "huge" and "significant".While Apple is widely expected to refresh its iPod lines next month, Digg's Kevin Rose over the weekend indicated that he is hearing rumors of a September release of the revamped Apple TV reportedly to be redubbed "iTV". Whether this might be the product cited by MacDailyNews' sources, possibly seeing a September introduction and an October release, is unknown.

MacDailyNews has been an infrequent and sometimes-incorrect source of rumors, and so we are publishing this item on Page 2 for interest and discussion.
iCar ?
iHouse ?
iGovernment ?
iSpaceship ?
iPlane ?
iCruiseShip ?
iRobot ?
iPlasmaTV ?

Something 'Huge' and 'Very Big New Product' could mean anything !!

Comment

MonkeyET

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2009
Indio, CA
Although I like the thought about iGovernment, what is the thought regarding a smaller iPad? I thought I have read some rumors regarding release before Christmas. My first thought is that Apple wouldn't necessarily be looking for a smaller version, but who knows? Would a smaller panel be more readily available?

Comment

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
"a very big new product."

Yea... but given how Steve IS the 21st century reincarnation of PT Barnum... The use of superlatives isn't doing much for me these days... I've been following Apple for WAY too long. :rolleyes:

Comment

MarximusMG

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2009
Denver
Really curious as to what this is going to be! Seems lately that all that's really grabbed my interest is the upcoming iPhone, but I doubt that that would take place this early. Hoping to hear some sort of announcement regarding it at the September event, though!

Comment

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Oh and while I'm slightly interested in seeing what Apple can REALLY do with an AppleTV box we have these points to remember.

- This would be US only... the entertainment industry is way too messed up licensing wise to ever hope to make it a truly memorable international product.

- This would be 720p ... Apple doesn't do 1080p --- EVER. Is this at the behest of the Studios (to make Blueray look better) or at the desire at Apple since there's a pretty huge difference bandwidth wise between 720p and 1080p and while Apple could handle it ... Apple might be correct in thinking most of its customers might not.... and since giving users a SD and 720p version is bad enough in Steves eyes... but to then give the customer the choice of SD or 720p or 1080p is WAY too many options.

- There is no indication that the movie studios have 'seen the light' and are willing to make their full movie catalogs available under an Apple managed service.

Hey... I'd love to have a single box that I could connect to my TV that would let me browse, purchase and/or rent all the 1080p content hollywood and the TV studios have churned out over the years. This would be 'IT'. No more ripping my 600+ DVD collection and no more ripping my vast TV seasons collection. I'd sell em all (cept for the Godfather Trilogy, Firefly & The Fifth Element) and simply pay for stuff I feel like watching and either buy it in full HD or just rent it if I'm pretty sure I'll not wanna see it again.

The issue is the Studios just aren't ready for this since people like me (obsessive compulsive) will likely NOT buy everything any more since the fact that a press of a button is all you need to start watching EVERYTHING ever made will be comforting enough to dissuade marathon purchase sessions.

Hey I've been a good boy with blueray... I own a handful of titles since the prices were just too damn high but yea DVDs and the $5 and $10 off coupons that littered the internet when dvds 1st hit kinda got me super hooked on buying dvds.

Well hopefully iTV will really be a game changer... That sure would be nice.

Hmmm Imagine if HBO and the other movie channels were made available for purchase to all iTV buyers... How about a few of the big name cable channels too (ala carte). That would be HUGE and this MIGHT be why we're seeing all the cable providers making announcements about iPhone/iPad apps that would allow their subscribers to watch cable channels they subscribe to.

Could be an interesting Fall...

Comment

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
Get your Pipins out of the basement. iTV is going to have games.

That's right, Apple is going toe to toe with X-Box/Live etc. The one product that Microsoft made that people actually liked — and it still hasn't made back its costs, much less profit.

People thinking Apple will do a deal with Netflicks must have missed the news about Apple buying a streaming company. iTunes all the way. No Hulu, no Netflicks and definitely no 1080 anything.

No wonder they pushed up the price of Mac Mini, to make iTV more attractive… just keep saving up folks. If you buy iTV, you'll be buying a Mini within a year, so save yourself the trouble.

Comment

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
The Telesales staff will be online for support of :

New MobileMe
The Apple TV
Game Center coming online
iPad software update for interactive games etc.

All of the above stuff will require extra staff.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.