Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
It's funny we still call them "set top boxes" when it's highly unpractical to put anything "on top" of current TV sets!

Just like using a "clicker" to change the channels on said TV. I bet a large portion of the visitors to this site don't even know how that term originated. (Except now they will Google it and learn something new. ;))

Just like "dialing" a telephone doesn't exactly represent the process any longer. :)

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
I think Apple will be coming out with the "iBall".

"The iBall is a wireless, spherical device, designed in California to add a new dimension to everyday social networking. iBall incorporates a proprietary design feature which significantly cuts down on weight. All components of the iBall have been streamlined so that they are incorporated only in the thin external shell, leaving the center of the device magically filled with only air. This also helps to minimize the environmental impact and imparts an visceo-elastic quality to the device. If iBall is dropped, it reverses it's trajectory upon hitting a solid object and can return to your hand. iBall can survive 40 foot falls with no damage.

iBall also incorporates our newest technology, called "Play-Time". When two or more iBall users meet, spontaneous gaming may ensue. Two games are included with your iBall purchase, including "Catch" and "Soccer". Further game apps are being developed and will be released through the App Store."

ianray

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
@
Exciting times :) Though, given Apple's existing support infrastructure, it would be surprising if a substantial increase in head-count were needed.

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2010
Hey do you guys think maybe it's an updated iPhone? They are stopping the free distribution of bumpers at the end of September...:rolleyes:
(doubt it)

Dreamail

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Beyond
Reinventing the Wheel?

Apple recently has not really introduced anything 'revolutionary' as in 'totally new product category'.
The iPhone 1 perhaps was the last thing I would count. And even that was 'just another smart phone'. Not really a new product category.

Sure the iPad is great, but tablets aren't new.

Perhaps the iPhone 4's Retina Display is closest to 'revolutionary' in recent products. But that's just one feature.

So my guess would be that at best it's just another 'refined' but already existing product.
Not something totally new.

And either way it will be a consumer product. Think Christmas.

Some ideas:

- Fused MacBook Air with iPad:
Convertible from iPad running iOS to MacBook running OS X in a package not much larger than the current iPad. Thin and light with a real keyboard and a touch screen. Combined with a new OS X Touch version.

- Whole new family of iPads:
7", 10" and maybe 13" or 15". Thin, light and with super high resolution displays.
Add to that the iPod touch at the very low end.

- Retina MacBook Touch
New portable Mac with fully re-designed Mac OS X supporting a 11-13" touch screen.
If we're lucky it comes with a Retina Display doubling up pixels so software doesn't need to be updated, but provides super-crisp text.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
The iBigO. Turn it on and you are on.

Handy switch for males or females. Center position for those who don't know.

Requires new code after every use, purchasable through App store. Only $9.99.

If the app fails, a recording of Jobs saying "No problem, you are holding it wrong" plays.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Looks like the Very Big New Product turned out quite small, innit?

And it probably has intrigued me the most of the new products shown earlier today. $99 is the perfect price point, and the addition of NetFlix support will help drive sales.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
I don't think we're done yet. Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be on the rumour radar, at this stage.

We have 'phone support' ads in Australia that sound similar, and they have a 'commence work' date of 30 Sept, so I'm thinking some time in October… maybe.

Can't see television being a 'big new product'. tv is a hobby until all the content providers start taking it seriously and supply a decent catalogue. There's not much more Apple can do hardware-wise about that. Anything else to do with television falls into that category, in my mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.