Apple Hit With $2.8 Billion Patent Lawsuit Over VoIP Technology

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 10, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    VoIP-Pal announced today that it has filed a lawsuit against Apple in a U.S. District Court in Las Vegas, Nevada, seeking over $2.8 billion in damages for alleged infringement of its patented internet communication technologies.

The Bellevue-based company calculated its $2,836,710,031 figure using a 1.25-percent royalty rate based on an apportionment of Apple's estimated historical profit from iPhone (55-percent), iPad (35-percent), and Mac (10-percent).

VoIP-Pal (VPLM) has over a dozen issued or pending patents, primarily related to VoIP technologies, a few of which it accuses Apple of infringing upon with services like FaceTime and iMessage on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.
    The court filing cites multiple ways that Apple is allegedly infringing upon the patents, including the following iMessage claim:
    The lawsuit was originally initiated on February 9, but VoIP-Pal delayed pursuing legal action until Monday as the company says it remains engaged in discussions with Apple outside the courtroom regarding an amicable resolution. The company appears to be open to a sale or licensing of its patent portfolio.

"We are confident the current good will on both sides will result in a favorable outcome for all parties involved," said Emil Malak, CEO of VoIP-Pal.

VoIP-Pal, which acquired network operator Digifonica in 2013, describes itself as "a technical leader in the broadband VoIP market." The company does not currently generate income, but insists it is "absolutely not" a patent troll, noting that Digifonica began designing its system back in 2004.
    VoIP-Pal has filed similar lawsuits against AT&T and Verizon in Las Vegas court.

Article Link: Apple Hit With $2.8 Billion Patent Lawsuit Over VoIP Technology

2. sputnikv macrumors 6502

sputnikv

they say they're not, but they most definately sound like patent trolls

3. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

4. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

Patenting a way for a computer to detect whether a device is registered with a central server or not?

Well blow me down, what a billion dollar idea.

5. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

The entire patent system needs to be reviewed. The things some companies have been awarded patents for is ridiculous.

6. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

So Apple must be one too with all their car patents. No real car but Apple is already getting awards for most influential in the car industry.

7. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

A good practice litigation for Apple's Junior lawyers division

8. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

9. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I had conceived, designed, and tested a variation of that joke in another thread a few years ago. Nobody laughed or liked the post, but I'm going to go ahead and sue you for joke infringement.

I'd be happy to settle. Just send me one of those new MacBooks and we'll call this thing even.

10. mistasopz macrumors 6502

Not much better than Apple patenting slide to unlock, page turning, and pinch to zoom...

11. apolloa macrumors G4

So is this like Immersion technology? They invented and developed and brought to market something everyone else pays licensing for apart from Apple?

Or not?

In the eye's of people on here they will be labelled patent trolls anyway as that's koolaide thing to do isn't it...

12. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502a

marmiteturkey

This is pretty much the textbook definition of a patent troll - company acquires other company for patents, does not make a product, and then starts suing others for patent infringement.

13. autrefois macrumors 65816

autrefois

I think the mods forgot this notice—

Note: Due to the fact that this story involves patents, all forum members and site visitors are welcome to read the story, but no posting is allowed since these discussions invariably lead to people posting nonsense that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual case mentioned in the story or with how patents in general work.

14. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

One of the main differences being that Apple actually implemented and sold products and services with those (at the time) differentiating features. These guys patented an idea that they were never going to implement and are now acting like they were somehow injured in the process by a third party that had never heard of them or their idea.

15. John Mcgregor Suspended

John Mcgregor

Mother****ing patent trolls waited for so many years for fat stacks of money.

16. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

If 20 Posts have passed since your joke was made, it shall be considered expired and in the public domain. I'll still send you a lightning cable valued at $99 based on my greedy estimate for your trouble.

17. MuckSavage70 macrumors member

MuckSavage70

18. sputnikv macrumors 6502

sputnikv

except apple isn't suing other people over its car patents, at least not while it itself doesn't have a car

19. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

Except Apple had practical applications for those patents in an actual product?

20. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I'd like to go to arbitration over the precise color of the lightning cable being proposed. An impartial third party would be best to determine the relative value of the color and how it pertains to this case.

21. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

While I do agree and believe the amount of patent trolls are a joke, I also believe  does infringe upon a lot of patents. USA patent laws are a joke none-the-less.

22. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

I will submit my request that the company behind Monster Cables settle the arbitration.

23. 2457282 Suspended

In the actual filing, it says --

PRAYER FOR RELIEF
    WHEREFORE, VPLM prays for relief, as follows:

So they must know that they will be up against some serious lawyer if they are praying for relief. LOL

Seriously, the language of this pleading is strange, but what happens in Vegas......

24. Popeye206 macrumors 68040

Popeye206

Did you miss the part where they generate no income? So no one is paying them any royalties... including Apple right now. So, if it looks like a troll, and smells like a troll, they are probably a troll.

25. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I am currently in litigation with Monster Cable on a separate, but equally damaging infringement regarding the usage of paper in their packaging. I had thought of paper documentation to describe and educate a purchaser of a product like a million years ago before it was cool.