Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Alright, so I just want to say that I think this is so stupid...but I also understand it. I don’t blame them, especially if it really happened. I just think it is crazy how fast this blew up. I really can’t wait to see what the outcome of this is going to be. Most likely Apple will just give him some money before it really blows up. I doubt Apple will really try and fight it.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I'm the first to criticise Apple for their "better than everyone on security" nonsense, and this has bitten them on the ass.

But I call ******** on this

This is done due to a bug. Bugs are usually associated with electronics.
The difference here is, for some others, your privacy is their bread and butter business and not issues caused by bugs. Do you get the picture or is not quite clear yet?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Apple even delayed the feature over a month to 12.1 and they still jacked it up. Maybe next time spend less time on perfecting putting Koala heads on 32 people at once with crappy filter overlays and, you know, do some freaking basic testing.

How could any action on the requesting side ever activate our cameras and microphones? To me this sounds like server side code has the ability to initiate our cameras and microphones when that handshake should take place on the client side—the one receiving the call. Heads need to roll because that is some really shoddy security. It’s so bad I’m even questioning incompetency and wondering about a government plant, but my instinct says no because too many people would surely have to approve and audit that code. But then again, here we are.

kakinc

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2018
Toronto
I personally don't use FaceTime. But either way, it's good for us all.
They will probably handle it a lot better next time.

fredrik9

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2018
Sweden
No one listens to Edward Snowden. According to him, you shouldn't keep your phone in any room where potentially confidential information could be spoken. A bit unpractical perhaps but still.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
Taking a deposition doesn’t mean he was in court. He could have been in his own office while the person was being deposed. The angle for Apple to take would be to try and prove that he staged the deposition after learning about the bug in order to file a lawsuit. Apple’s failure to deal with this sooner will cost them and ultimately this will be good for the consumer.

Exactly. I like how it’s “an unknown person” (meaning the mate of his he asked to call him while taking a deposition).

Martius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Prague, CZ
Well, from customer perspective it's always good when a big company is sometimes pushed back behind some "borders", so the company is aware there is a law money can't buy.

I don't say I agree with this lawsuit, I'm just saying that big companies tend to become arrogant and use their power to take advantage of the weaker subjects (customers). Apple is heading that way, so I find those lawsuits inevitable.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
Apple is more unpolished with its software than I would expect for paying top $ for a phone. That includes at the XR price point too.
Same can be said for a Mac, a top of line windows PC or tablet, even a high end router, and any Sony Android TV bought up to early 2018 that still had hardware and Android software years out of date (MediaTek CPU was a MT5891 used in all TV's from 2015) So paying £2,500 in Q1 2018 for a 2018 released 55" OLED TV got you 3 year old hardware and two year old software. The list will keep getting bigger the more you look. Price has no bearing on software or hardware and the more complex the software the longer it takes to find issues and patch them. I mean Apple didn't even break Google's Project Zero code of conduct over this FaceTime bug. The whole thing feels like a bit of a chance your arm and hope to get a payout situation, based on Apple having deep pockets.

Last edited:
Reactions: otternonsense

LastStarfighter

macrumors member
May 29, 2009
UK
Interesting Catch 22 for Apple. They probably have server logs from the FaceTime servers to determine if such a group call took place on the date and time in question, however if they go to their server data to disprove this took place then there'll be a public outcry over all this privicy violating data Apple has about calls...

Reactions: WatchFromAfar

Scooz

Suspended
Apr 9, 2012
Apple should hire that “We did nothing wrong since we acted according to our self-proclaimed security guidelines” guy from the forums to defend them.

Those “bugs happen anyway” people might also be enough here.

Last edited:

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
What was the loss or damage?

Apple almost instantly took down Group FaceTime and I don’t think anyone can demonstrate damages.

Thrown out or minimal impact. Money grab. Next.
Almost instantly? According to the report they have known about this for a week or more. In the US you don't need loss or damage. Punitive damages are a great thing sometimes.

rlhamil

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
A woman whose teenage son initially discovered the bug says that she contacted Apple multiple times starting on January 20, and even sent a video demonstrating the issue, but she received no response from the company.

Apple almost never replies to bug reports, even (or especially?) security bug reports; probably until they understand the problem enough to at least suggest a mitigation, they'd rather neither confirm nor deny. That doesn't mean they're ignoring it! Double that with one where the mere knowledge that it's possible is more than halfway there to the exploit.
[doublepost=1548838884][/doublepost]
Almost instantly? According to the report they have known about this for a week or more. In the US you don't need loss or damage. Punitive damages are a great thing sometimes.

You want privacy? Have face-to-face meetings out in the boonies, no gadgets allowed. Nothing else is assured, even if the gadget maker isn't one that sells your information.

Reactions: Diazepam

chineseguy38

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Melbourne
Anyone wants to start a class action again Apple with SMS message forwarding unable to reply on another iPhone with same Apple ID issue? It only happens to the latest iPhone Xs Max, Xs and XR because of the e-sim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.