Apple hits 4.7 per cent US market share

fox2005

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Lima, Peru
Apple hits 4.7 % US market share

By Tom Krazit

Despite earlier predictions of a slow year for PC shipments, the continued shift to notebooks and overall decline in PC prices lifted the worldwide PC market to new heights in the second quarter, research companies IDC and Gartner said Monday.

The analysts confirmed Apple's fast-paced growth in the US market, where it has emerged as the fourth biggest PC manufacturer there.

As recently as May, IDC and Gartner had predicted that second-quarter worldwide PC shipments would grow about 12 per cent as consumer purchases slowed. However, IDC pegged actual second-quarter PC shipment growth at 16.6 per cent while Gartner reported a 14.8 per cent increase in PC shipments.

[...]

Apple takes fourth place in US

[...]

In the US, Gateway and Apple grew much faster than Dell or HP and captured third and fourth place, respectively, in the US market.

Apple's well-documented success in the digital music market with the iPod and iTunes is starting to have a noticeable effect on the company's PC business, IDC said.

Apple's shipments grew 37 per cent year-on-year quarter, against a worldwide industry growth of 16.6 per cent, according to IDC. Gartner assesses industry growth at 14.8 per cent.

The figures represent Apple's US market share to have reached 4.5 per cent, up from 3.7 per cent at the same time last year.

Gateway has now worked through any remaining issues surrounding its purchase of eMachines and its move into the retail market, and it enjoyed a 26 per cent increase in shipments.

Both IDC and Gartner count desktops, notebooks, and servers using processors based on the x86 instruction set when compiling their results.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
This is great news. Apple finally starting to improve its market share. Now if the trend can just continue.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Glad to see Apple's market share go up. Hopefully they can continue this treand as the Halo effect finally takes a noticeable effect...

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Mac sales tripled apparently, which is amazing. Nearly means 1 in 20 computers in the US are Apple Macs. I'd like to see that 1 in 10, across the world :p

Sam I Am

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
Ann Arbor, MI
SpaceMagic said:
Mac sales tripled apparently, which is amazing. Nearly means 1 in 20 computers in the US are Apple Macs. I'd like to see that 1 in 10, across the world :p
Here in Ann Arbor, about 1 in 5 laptops downtown is a Mac. Or maybe it's just me... maybe I just notice them way more than I should... :rolleyes:

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
Sam I Am said:
Here in Ann Arbor, about 1 in 5 laptops downtown is a Mac. Or maybe it's just me... maybe I just notice them way more than I should... :rolleyes:
Yeah, but A2 is a college town and I think college students lean towards Mac more than the general population.

This is good news though. I expect with the halo effect and momentum Apple seems to have that their marketshare will continue to raise slowly. I think if they could eventually reach 10% that would be amazing. I can't see them gaining and holding much more than that. Especially considering most/all of this growth will be on the consumer side - not within businesses.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
I hope once Apple cracks 5% market share that developers take even a little more notice, too.

I'm tired of trying to find decent nonprofit fundraising software and databases that only work on Windows. Seriously, some of the nicest products like Raiser's Edge are Windows only. Asking vendors if they have OSX compatible versions will usually produce one of three results:

1) They stare at you blankly like an Alien is popping out of your stomach.
2) They say, "like, you know, there's this PC emulator program for Macs, and our Mac customers just use this." I usually then ask them if they've ever used it and understand the limitations it produces, which then results in reply #1 above.
3) They say, "well, we make a Web based version of our software, too," which usually has half the features and is incompatible with anything but IE on a Mac.

*sigh* Here's to baby steps...

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
FoxyKaye said:
Asking vendors if they have OSX compatible versions will usually produce one of three results:
2) They say, "like, you know, there's this PC emulator program for Macs, and our Mac customers just use this." I usually then ask them if they've ever used it and understand the limitations it produces, which then results in reply #1 above.
3) They say, "well, we make a Web based version of our software, too," which usually has half the features and is incompatible with anything but IE on a Mac.

*sigh* Here's to baby steps...
Nice post FoxyKaye. I like #1 best :D

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
SpaceMagic said:
Apple's share of computers sold was nearly 1 in 20 IN THE SECOND QUARTER of this year. They still have a long way to go but the news is excellent.

BGil

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2005
rdowns said:
Apple's share of computers sold was nearly 1 in 20 IN THE SECOND QUARTER of this year. They still have a long way to go but the news is excellent.
Correct, this is second quarter only. Second quarter is the slowest time of the year for Windows-based PC sales. The third and fourth quarter are much better.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
FoxyKaye said:

They might wanna get their reflexes tested because to be honest, if ever an alien pops out of my stomach, I'd want a much larger response. :D

As for the increased market share, I always get this fuzzy little feeling when articles like this come out and I know I helped a little (bought an iMac recently).

I reckon 15% would be the optimum market share whereby they hold some market power but they still don't attract virus writers and the sort.

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
mad jew said:
I reckon 15% would be the optimum market share whereby they hold some market power but they still don't attract virus writers and the sort.
The lack of malicious software is surely a big factor...
Maybe every time Mac market share goes up the guys at Apple should celebrate by conducting a security audit of OS X! (and a cake or two of course...)

jiv3turkey748

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2004
atlanta
ive said it before and ill say it again, imagine how good they would be doing if the accually advertised the computers and osx

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
jiv3turkey748 said:
ive said it before and ill say it again, imagine how good they would be doing if the accually advertised the computers and osx
Exactly. Imagine seeing a Power Mac G5 (or any other Mac) on a TV commercial. People would instantly rip out their credit cards and head to the phone or internet to scoop up a new Mac.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
if they hit 4.7% with hardly any/no advertising, and they had such a big success with the iPod advertising, just imagine wot could happen with mac sales if they advertised it

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
You can't spend 20 seconds on the streets of NYC without seeing an iPod, which says alot about Apple's future. What it says to me is growth, so I'm very happy for Apple :).

scem0

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Jacksteruk309 said:
if they hit 4.7% with hardly any/no advertising, and they had such a big success with the iPod advertising, just imagine wot could happen with mac sales if they advertised it
Yep!

Let's see, 3.7% to 4.7% is about 27% growth. Awesome, but still makes one wonder how much more it could be if Apple advertised.

Sure wish Apple would advertise more!

If they kept this up for one more year, they would be close to 6% market share. Breaking 5% would be great and it looks like Apple is on their way to do so if things kept going the way they are.

Sushi

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
dmw007 said:
Exactly. Imagine seeing a Power Mac G5 (or any other Mac) on a TV commercial. People would instantly rip out their credit cards and head to the phone or internet to scoop up a new Mac.
Apple did advertise the PowerMac G5 when it first came out. You don't remember the guy using the computer and it was so "powerful" that it blew him out of his house? :rolleyes:

Apparently, Apple has data that mainstream advertising (primarily referring to TV) of the Macintosh line does not lead to bigger sales. As mac fans, that's hard to grasp. :) We love to see Apple in both print and electronic media. :) However, it simply may not be cost effective.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
joshuawaire said:
Apple did advertise the PowerMac G5 when it first came out. You don't remember the guy using the computer and it was so "powerful" that it blew him out of his house? :rolleyes:
Sorry, I do not...back then I was still in PeeCee Bondage.

I was so busy trying to install windows security updates that I never had time to watch tv. ;) Now I have all the time in the world to watch Apple product commercials. :)

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
I hope this insane growth can sustain itself. It wasn't that long ago when apple's marketshare shot up to 25% when they released the first powerbook ever. Boy, those were the days :)