Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eddieaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
samsung would do anything to gain market share even if it means they make no profit out of it. both galaxy note and galaxy nexus are heavily discounted, can buy either one of them outright for less than $500 now.

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
That table reflects handsets not just smart phones. The Android phone manufacturers lump dumb phones, feature phones and smart phones together as handsets. It would be interesting to see that broke out by type of handsets.

Let's break that out by type of handset and see how that looks. That will be a telling tale.
We can to some extent.
The 1st table is Worldwide Mobile Phone Shipments the 2nd table Worldwide Smartphone Shipments, so for companiies listed in both tables, Samsung, Apple and Nokia, we can compare their smartphone shipments to total shipment.
Samsung 42.2/93.8 = 45% smartphones
Apple 35.1/35.1 = 100% smartphones
Nokia 11.9/82.7 = 14% smarphones

Total 144.9/398.4 = 36% of phones shipped worldwide are smartphones.

fjose1929

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2009
Again

Stupid is as stupid does.

Just go to the report by Samsung. No mention of units. I the mobile section, they have an entry for devices. In it they state that they had sales of 16 billion(converted from won).

The cheapest Samsung smartphone you can buy without contract, anywhere in the world, is $400. Even at this lowest price, 42 million multiplied by 400 is $16.8 billion. What about the feature phones, (50 million of them)? How about the tablets? How about other devices?

Baloney. This the same game amazon plays, to the delight of the scoundrels in WS.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Wow Samsung is dominating, I imagine when the SGS3 comes out their share will shoot up even further!

Shouldn't you be posting on http://www.samsungrumors.com ?

And there is nothing "dominating" here. Android phones are utterly exchangeable. Samsung is doing quite well at the moment, others like HTC will come back. Look at what happened at Acer in the computer market. Highly successful, then they dropped. Because their products were exchangeable.

According to the ratings that I get, the Samsung fanboys have figured out that there is no http://www.samsungrumors.com, so they have to come here to rate down anyone who says anything that isn't totally 100% positive for their beloved company.

Last edited:

fjose1929

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2009
Just use simple math

samsung would do anything to gain market share even if it means they make no profit out of it. both galaxy note and galaxy nexus are heavily discounted, can buy either one of them outright for less than $500 now.

$500 multiplied by 42 million smartphones is $20 billion. The division that Samsung includes smartphones(subdivision of their IM), had revenue of $16 billion (converted from won). The whole IM division revenue was less than $18 billion.

Samsung does not declare the number of units sold. Someone should sue these scoundrels of WS

----------

Just look at the add for the razor max above. It is selling for $649. Anywhere in the world, you cannot find a Samsung smartphone for less than $400. 400 by 42 million is $16.8 billion. More than the total revenues reported by Samsung for their IM division.

Why apple takes this lying down, is beyond belief.

There is no integrity among the WS gentry.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
I know the SGS3 is coming along soon and some are predicting it will have a big impact on their market share (increasing it, that is) but is this based on solid numbers?

Samsung may well sell 42 million smartphone handsets in a year but they have a lot of models. What percentage of these sales are of the high end phones? I know the SGS2 is a popular handset but it doesn't sell anywhere near as well as the iPhone 4/4S - so the launch of the new Galaxy is unlikely to have the same effect on Samsungs numbers as the launch of a new iPhone has on Apple's.

So, while it is clearly highly likely that the new Galaxy launch will lead to a spike in sales for Samsung I'm not convinced it will make so great a difference as some imagine. We should certainly praise Samsung for their success here - they do offer the only phones I would consider purchasing if the iPhone didn't exist - but we should be careful of imagining that the SGS3 is to Samsung what the iPhone 5(?) will be to Apple.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Remember, this is for ALL mobile phones. From the one-trick junkers to actual "smartphones."

Apple leads in smartphones.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Remember, this is for ALL mobile phones. From the one-trick junkers to actual "smartphones."

Apple leads in smartphones.

Huh? IDC claims Samsung leads in Smartphones - 42M to Apple's 35M. I have no idea how they arrive at that number since Samsung doesnt release shipped or sold figures, but that's what is being estimated.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

so what?

just because it doesnt retail for $649 dollar its automatically a bad phone?

i got my iPhone 4S for 1 Euro here, same price as the Samsung Galaxy Note. doesnt mean either one is worse. it depends on ones needs and what he wants to do with it

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
In 2010 "Samsung claimed to have shipped two million Galaxy Tabs by the end of 2010, but later admitted that these were really just pushed into the channel and actually sold poorly to consumers."

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ndroid_to_take_33_of_ipad_market_in_2010.html

First, Samsung stops reporting phones sold and will only report units shipped. Then they stop reporting units shipped by type of handset. And how many of those reported SHIPPED handsets were just another case of pushing units into the channel?

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Wow Samsung is dominating, I imagine when the SGS3 comes out their share will shoot up even further!

A single model coming from Samsung will doubtfully shoot their market share up. Especially a high end one, most of their sales are from mid to low end phones.

macintoshi

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Switzerland
In my humble opinion, what could send Apple to permanent domination of the cellphone market are two things:

1. Once they can get a large, steady supply of the Qualcomm-designed MDM9615 "all-in-one" cellphone chipset, don't be surprised the next iPhone will essentially become a "universal" cellphone that works on just about any CDMA, GSM and 3GPP LTE implementation. And if Apple designs the antenna right, it might just happen.

2. The new iPhone implements NFC mobile payments that is compatible with the widely-used FeliCa standard and the new ISIS system that is rolling out this summer.
Not only, you are wrong. I swerad myself, i would never again buy a iPhone without bluetooth transfer possibility and an option to add or remoove flash player for free! But despite that, no matter how iPhone updates, it will never beat the samsung S3. And as S2 is still better in many ways, so does S3 even be better than iPhone 5! While i am a macbook pro user, cause i love it, but i am and will be never a iPhone fun, cause apple wants it so.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Yeah because the 4S has hardly sold at all. :rolleyes: Just because the physical look and feel was the same as the 4 doesn't mean it wasn't a different phone.

I've used both phones and the difference between a 4S and 4 is negligible. The 4S in the grand scheme of things wasn't a big fail in the market-place because it was an iPhone. However, it's important to realize that the phone "succeeded" due to the infrastructure built up from the Apple brand and the success of the previous iPhones. The 4S in itself was a pretty unremarkable upgrade.

I can guarantee that if Apple continue with one or two more upgrades like the 4S (I know they won't but for arguments sake), they'd get swamped by Android, etc.

hstewart

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
I think one way that Apple could increase there numbers and even get over Samsung is come up with a low end semi-smartphone that would be good for people that don't need all the smart phone features. Say Phone, Email, Text and Internet - it would be nice to have Weather and Maps.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
I know this is off-topic, but why is LTD banned? I don't think I've ever seen him insult a single person. I know his beliefs are to the extreme, but I find it a bit strange that he is banned while those with extreme beliefs on the opposite end aren't banned. Very strange.

Regardless, impressive that Apple is ranking in categories that include dumb phones.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Truly incredible. The share of smartphone sales isn't as surprising to me as the share of overall mobile phone sales.

On the other hand, it's remarkable to me how many people in so much of the world still purchase feature phones rather than smart phones. I wonder how long it'll be until they reach parity in the marketplace...

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Anywhere in the world, you cannot find a Samsung smartphone for less than $400
S5660, S5830, S5690, S5570 are showing up at 'less than 400' without a contract for me. (Some less than 200)

Those all have higher volumes than the 32gb 4s.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
I've used both phones and the difference between a 4S and 4 is negligible. The 4S in the grand scheme of things wasn't a big fail in the market-place because it was an iPhone. However, it's important to realize that the phone "succeeded" due to the infrastructure built up from the Apple brand and the success of the previous iPhones. The 4S in itself was a pretty unremarkable upgrade.

I can guarantee that if Apple continue with one or two more upgrades like the 4S (I know they won't but for arguments sake), they'd get swamped by Android, etc.

IMO, the iPhone has hit close to its peak subscriber base UNLESS it comes out with something new and really innovative to persuade Android owners to switch.

At first, iPhones had limited availability to AT&T(in the states) but now that they have branched out to pretty much all carriers over the last few years, those who wanted an iPhone from the carrier of their choice have bought them.

Now all you are seeing when the new iPhone comes out(like the 4S) are current iPhone owners upgrading, no new subscribers.

Apple has hit its peak subscriber base UNLESS it delivers something really new & innovative that can live up to the sensationalized marketing hype it tries to create.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
If this is the number that Steve Jobs was talking about back in the original iPhone keynote in 2007 where he said, "we want to get 1%," it sure far exceeded everyone's expectations five years later.

I agree that the amount of models that Samsung produces is nothing short of "spamming" the market, but I do hope they keep doing that, as much as RIM and Microsoft do their own naive dances, as it only ends up making their customers feel jaded with obsolete and abandoned products almost as soon as they're released to the public, making them turn to Apple for anything from that "glass of water in hell" to "salvation."

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Yeah because the 4S has hardly sold at all. :rolleyes: Just because the physical look and feel was the same as the 4 doesn't mean it wasn't a different phone.

Yeah the sgiiii may be the fifth best phone sold this year behind four apple handsets.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

Regardless of your feelings about the difference between an iPhone 4 and 4S, the iPhone 4S is a huge upgrade over the iPhone 3GS. It makes much more sense for Apple to target upgrades to people who are coming off 2-year contracts, as well as new customers.

IMO, the iPhone has hit close to its peak subscriber base UNLESS it comes out with something new and really innovative to persuade Android owners to switch.

At first, iPhones had limited availability to AT&T(in the states) but now that they have branched out to pretty much all carriers over the last few years, those who wanted an iPhone from the carrier of their choice have bought them.

Evidence seems to be that carrier availability and lower priced models are the main things needed to persuade Android owners to switch.

Now all you are seeing when the new iPhone comes out(like the 4S) are current iPhone owners upgrading, no new subscribers.

Source?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.