Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of its global premiere next week, Apple today held a screening event for season two of the Apple TV+ hit comedy series "Ted Lasso" at the Pacific Design Center in Los Angeles, and was attended by the cast and creators of the show, including Apple CEO Tim Cook.

ted-lasso-screening-la.jpeg

"Ted Lasso" first aired last year as one of the first original series for the Apple TV+ platform and has since grown in popularity. The second season of the show, which will consist of 12 episodes with an episode premiering every Friday, will premiere on Apple TV+ on Friday, July 23. Even before its debut, Apple has already renewed the show for a third season, which the creators of the show have hinted may be the last.

This week "Ted Lasso" scored an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Comedy Series, alongside 20 overall nominations. Jason Sudeikis, who plays Ted Lasso in the show, was also nominated for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series.

Article Link: Apple Holds Screening Event of 'Ted Lasso' Season Two Ahead of Global Premiere Next Week

Reactions: Ar40 and decypher44

aknabi

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
I think Apple is making too much of a big deal on it's TV+ shows.
It is odd... but given the maturity of tech and lackluster new product categories they need excitement elsewhere... and I can also speak from experience that tech execs have a real fetish for the red carpet, celeb parties/lifestyle... it's a non-trivial motivator for a lot of them to get into showbiz... finally getting to hang with the cool kids I guess

matrix07

macrumors 604
Jun 24, 2010
“…The second season of the show, which will consist of 12 episodes with an episode premiering every Friday, will premiere on Apple TV+ on Friday, July 23”

Amazing coincidence that my oft-extended free Apple TV+ subscription ends on July 22nd.
My free trail ran out on June 30th. I subscribe to Apple One on June 25th hoping to continue all the services. Turns out everything were cancelled and will be re-started on July 24th. ?

Chrjy

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
UK
With the amount of articles on Ted Lasso, you'd think this was the only show on Apple TV+!

I watched the first couple of episodes and I thought it was average at best, there's far funnier shows in the UK....just my own opinion before I get battered by bricks and other flying objects!

Last edited:

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Being British I was worried that we’d just get lame unfunny jokes poking fun at us and using unrealistic stereotypes of life in the UK.

I needn’t have worried.

The series is funny and well observed and while there are some jokes they are clearly aimed at an American audience and make absolutely no sense to me whatsoever, there’s enough excellent content to make me laugh out loud.

Really looking forward to the new season and may even watch it weekly… I rarely do that when streaming services don’t release everything at once - I normally wait until it’s all available before I start watching.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Being British I was worried that we’d just get lame unfunny jokes poking fun at us and using unrealistic stereotypes of life in the UK.

I needn’t have worried.

The series is funny and well observed and while there are some jokes they are clearly aimed at an American audience and make absolutely no sense to me whatsoever, there’s enough excellent content to make me laugh out loud.

Really looking forward to the new season and may even watch it weekly… I rarely do that when streaming services don’t release everything at once - I normally wait until it’s all available before I start watching.
Watching some of the source material, I think it also had the potential to make its titular character too much of a clown. I love that it treated all of the main characters as real people (except maybe Coach Beard, who is still a great character), and their story arcs were believable.

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
I watched part of the Pilot and decided it really wasn't my cup of tea. Decided to give it another chance recently, and I'm glad I did. Looking forward to season 2.
I always try to give a show 3 episodes to hook me in. Some things just start slowly.

Reactions: Ar40

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
With the amount of articles on Ted Lasso, you'd think this was the only show on Apple TV+!

I watched the first couple of episodes and I thought it was average at best, there's far funnier shows in the UK....just my own opinion before I get battered by bricks and other flying objects!
What are some of the top UK comedies you would recommend? I find myself watching a lot of UK crime drama type shows and really enjoy them but haven't tried too many comedies. I did watch Trying on AppleTV and enjoyed that.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
What are some of the top UK comedies you would recommend? I find myself watching a lot of UK crime drama type shows and really enjoy them but haven't tried too many comedies. I did watch Trying on AppleTV and enjoyed that.
I personally loved Ted Lasso. It's brilliant. The funniest 'UK' show though at the moment is, in my opinion, Trying (AppleTV). My wife and I were pissing ourselves laughing at that. "Remember how betrayed I felt when you decided you liked olives!". A lot of people really like the IT crowd but even if it's not your thing, I strongly recommend one episode - "The Work Outing" (S02E01). I think it may actually be the funniest episode of television I've ever seen. My wife wasn't really into IT Crowd in general but I got her to watch that one episode and we still regularly quote it. If you've not watched Fleabag then I strongly recommend that although it can be painful to watch. Very British and just amazing "I look like a pencil!". Also, Derry Girls is brilliant but you may find the strong Northern Irish accents tough to understand.

Edit: Put the wrong show name - meant Trying.

Last edited:

slide_to_unlock

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2018
US
Canceled my "free" Apple TV+ recently and deleted the app. I liked the "morning show" but that is about it. Literally nothing to watch for me just personally speaking. Instead got HBO Now subscription.

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68030
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I watched part of the Pilot and decided it really wasn't my cup of tea. Decided to give it another chance recently, and I'm glad I did. Looking forward to season 2.
Glad you did too - which is less about Ted Lasso (I've only seen 1/2 of season 1) and much, much more about giving it a a chance. [Not necessarily you] As a society, we're so quick to bail on... Well, everything. Within 10 seconds of a new song, we're on to the next. Listening to a whole album? What's an album? That series pilot not hit me in the sweet spot in that exact moment? Dead in my eyes. Sadly, that approach can see one missing out on some worthy adventures.

I have seen this most glaring with music. As a typical example: I'll hear a single that gets my attention. I'll go grab the album, and put it on and let it cycle for several listens. I'm curious to hear that musicians or band's full thought. And it can be fascinating on how different my take can be from an initial reaction to a well-listened/informed listen. Sure, not every album is worth that time/effort. And not every time/effort yields that magical experience. But when it does, there is a deeper connectivity to the experience you can't get from a knee-jerk, swipe left/right approach.

Spending measurable time with art, people, ideas, is something I find a critical lost art that warrants more love.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2014
Watching some of the source material, I think it also had the potential to make its titular character too much of a clown. I love that it treated all of the main characters as real people (except maybe Coach Beard, who is still a great character), and their story arcs were believable.
Even Beard is still fairly realistic (as like Ted, he has moments that are less zen.) While it's always a threat with shows the longer they go on, at this point I'm confident they understand to make the wacky stuff work you need to reel it in at times.

I think what's great about it is that throughout, even though there are antagonists there are never really villains. Even Anthony Head's character has some shading beyond just being a lecherous *******.

It's also impressive how much continuity there is in the season and how on rewatches you pick up on small stuff in minor scenes that pay off in terms of stuff down the pipe, and yet this never comes at the expense of the quality of the discrete episode. They make planning a season of television out to be easy, and makes you wonder what those chuckleheads who can barely script two episodes ahead of the action are doing.

It's a show that's absolutely worth the price of AppleTV+ for me. Glad to hear reviews for S2 are so positive.

Reactions: RaoulDuke42
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.