Apple Hosting Apple TV+ Event for 'The Morning Show' in New York City [Updated]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to host an Apple TV+ premiere event for "The Morning Show" in New York City, according to a stage and banners that have been erected at the Lincoln Center plaza in Manhattan.

Based on multiple images shared on social media, Apple has a stage and multicolored signs that alternately highlight Apple TV+ and "The Morning Show," an upcoming series starring Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, and Steve Carrell. The show is set to premiere tonight, with additional premiere events happening later in the week.

Apple TV+ reviews came out this morning and critics were not particularly kind to "The Morning Show" despite its all star cast. The Hollywood Reporter, for example, called the pilot "brutally dull," while Variety said Witherspoon and Aniston couldn't "salvage this politically muddled, underthought, and underwhelming streaming misfire."

Apple appears to be planning to hold a red carpet launch event at the Lincoln Center plaza tonight along with additional showings at the Paley Center tomorrow evening, which will also include a Q&A session with Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston.

AppleTV+ Event coming soon to Lincoln Center, NYC 👀 pic.twitter.com/4tVNtXXnfm - tonn (@Antwittie) October 28, 2019

A recent Instagram story from "The Morning Show" suggests Apple TV+ is going to debut at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time or 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time, though earlier reports suggested the service would be launching at midnight Pacific Time on November 1.

Apple TV+ will also launch with "See," "Dickinson," "For All Mankind," "Ghostwriters," "Snoopy in Space," and more.

Update: Apple has shared details about the official New York premiere of "The Morning Show" in a Newsroom article.

(Thanks, Parker!)

Article Link: Apple Hosting Apple TV+ Event for 'The Morning Show' in New York City [Updated]

Last edited:
Reactions: 15ngcs1

needsomecoffee

macrumors regular
May 6, 2008
Seattle
The allure of HWood. Thought Tim was utterly cringe-worthy when on stage with O. Even Bezos seems to be distracted as he gets to hob-knob with our cultural elites. Hopefully with Jeff it proves out so Amazon starts to make some strategic errors. Re: Tim - sadly I think after more than two decades I may be out. Been thinking a lot about how little the Mac updates (hware / sware) make me want to upgrade. In fact Catalina has way too many "do NOT want" decisions. But hey, hanging with Jennifer, Reese, Steve, et. al.- "How cool is that?" Regular consumers will likely not care, though, so short-term effects will be minimal re: investor view. However, for developers... ??? Much more interested in what Satya is doing these days.

Reactions: now i see it

Glockworkorange

macrumors 68020
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Damn, I heard Event and got all excited about the MBP 16".... ATV+ show?...sorry, I'll pass.
Watch the releases this week....like with AirPods Pro this morning, I expect we'll get a trickle of releases like they did during the spring before Apple's services event. We got new AirPods, a new iMac and I think there might have been new iPads that week.

Also, now you see why there's no October event---they have to spend the time pushing this ATV stuff.

bpeeps

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2011
If Apple Keynotes are anything to go by I wouldn't have much confidence in Apple's content creation and direction.
Well it's a good thing Apple itself isn't creating any of their television content then, they're the distributor. The content creators for Apple TV+ shows are independent production companies who then pitch the shows to networks/streaming companies. And those companies decide if they want to buy the show. Echo Films and Hello Sunshine are the creators of The Morning Show. Just goes to show how little you know about how television is actually made.

SDJim

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2017
San Diego, CA
I'm genuinely happy with my Apple TV as-is, including available content, so ATV+ is just a bonus that I get to try out thanks to upgrading my phone this year. If they come out with a new ATV I suppose I may be interested, but it would have to have some pretty shocking features to be interesting, as my current ATV 4K does what it does perfectly.

emmab2006

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2008
Stoke on trent
Wonderful ! so Apple Can Witness how truly awful this program stands. Apple JUST BECAUSE you Have big Name actors does NOT mean you can best people like Netflix. you will always be the bottom of the rung. the one thing which would elevate you above the rest would be to make deal with Film and TV Companies similar to Netflix and Amazon Prime , and Offer your ENTIRE iTunes Library for people to watch. in a similar system to Apple Music.. only THEN will you be of worth spending the money for !.....rant over ;-)

s1m

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Interestingly I just a very positive review of this here in Australia...

davidec

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Well it's a good thing Apple itself isn't creating any of their television content then, they're the distributor. The content creators for Apple TV+ shows are independent production companies who then pitch the shows to networks/streaming companies. And those companies decide if they want to buy the show. Echo Films and Hello Sunshine are the creators of The Morning Show. Just goes to show how little you know about how television is actually made.
Work for Apple by any chance? I've been in the TV and Media business for over 30 years so I may know a little more about how the industry works than you assume. And who do you think pays for exclusivity and puts these arrangements in place? Ultimately it's Apple that decides. Particularly for Apple+ exclusives. I think it's pretty clear that there will be large element of cheese for original content creation. Prime and Netflix are bad enough but they have sown up the majority of successful independent directors, I'm not sure that money buys you class when it comes to creativity. No doubt it will be a success in the long term but it's going to take a while to convince the industry.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I have been watching film and TV for years and I have the gut instinct to know when a movie or TV show is crap. Recently Martin Scorsese and Francis Copola both said the Marvel Fantasy franchise are all crap and I have been saying this for years now. I have not had the desire to watch a single one of those films. Steve Jobs said it too. Glad to know my thought process is the same as these geniuses.

The Morning show is a similar conclusion. Jennifer Anniston and Reese Whitherspoon are two very average/mediocre actors and their work over the years from Friends to Legally Blond are all forgettable. Steve Caroll has always been unfunny from the get-go and a major point of this was his character in the sequel to Bruce Almighty. Jim Carrey made me laugh my pants off, but Steve's version was just pathetic.

The Morning show to me based on the ads and previews just never gave me a sense of plot or purpose. Its just Apple throwing out shiny objects (Reese and Jennifer) and thinking it would be enough to get us going. Sorry Tim, it doesn't work that way.

Apple needs to create relatable content. You can't relate to any of these characters. It's so obvious, you spent billions and you couldn't figure this.

Syk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
What's the point in having an event for a show?
ATV+ from what I saw doesn't really have any content worth paying for, maybe that's why they're giving it away for a yr with a new purchase of a device.
Also Disney+ is about to come out. People are gonna want that more than ATV+ would be my guess.

I am looking at purchasing an ATV4K maybe this weekend.

Reactions: decypher44

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I have the gut instinct to know when a movie or TV show is crap. Recently Martin Scorsese and Francis Copola both said the Marvel Fantasy franchise are all crap and I have been saying this for years now.
Based on what you’re saying, it seems like Apple’s streaming tv service is going to be a huge success.
- - Post merged: - -

What's the point in having an event for a show?
Promotion

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I have been watching film and TV for years and I have the gut instinct to know when a movie or TV show is crap. Recently Martin Scorsese and Francis Copola both said the Marvel Fantasy franchise are all crap and I have been saying this for years now. I have not had the desire to watch a single one of those films. Steve Jobs said it too. Glad to know my thought process is the same as these geniuses.

The Morning show is a similar conclusion. Jennifer Anniston and Reese Whitherspoon are two very average/mediocre actors and their work over the years from Friends to Legally Blond are all forgettable. Steve Caroll has always been unfunny from the get-go and a major point of this was his character in the sequel to Bruce Almighty. Jim Carrey made me laugh my pants off, but Steve's version was just pathetic.

The Morning show to me based on the ads and previews just never gave me a sense of plot or purpose. Its just Apple throwing out shiny objects (Reese and Jennifer) and thinking it would be enough to get us going. Sorry Tim, it doesn't work that way.

Apple needs to create relatable content. You can't relate to any of these characters. It's so obvious, you spent billions and you couldn't figure this.
So, your logic is that because you said Marvel movies were crap (which was then followed by Scorcese and Coppola), then this view is representative of the world? Did you miss how glaringly popular these films are with the general population and just how much they’ve made?

Likewise, you say shows like ‘Friends’ are forgettable? Really? Really? I can’t speak for the country of its inception, but here in the UK, Friends has just been crowned as the most streamed show for the past year - again. No mean feat given it stopped production what, 15 years ago?

I think Apple might know what they’re doing here. Certainly more so than Mr Dee anyway...

thomas040

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007
New York
In the streaming game, money and star power doesn't matter as much - good story and characters are paramount for success.
Yeah it feels like an odd choice they focus so much on the star power, when I should be more interested in what kind of CHARACTERS they play. But so far all their marketing has been based on who they CAST to play whatever characters. I still have no idea what the show is.