APPLE how could you??!!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ScottinMA, Jul 22, 2011.

1. ScottinMA macrumors newbie

To disable Quicken (or for that matter any Rosetta propelled app) without providing some warning before ya "upgrade" to Lion??!! I mean are ya kidding??!! Are ya just trying to piss people off?? I've spent the past two days trying to create a work around thus "loss of productivity" and have spent $ on a variety of upgrades. Has anyone tried to convert Quicken mac files into Window's files so you could potentially run it on Parallels using XP? The documentation to do this is pathetic. So, I for one am stuck with either going back to SL or using another computer with SL on it for doing Quicken work. F'n stupid! Just F'n stupid.

2. Brammy macrumors 65816

Umm, it's been widely reported that Quicken won't run on Lion.

3. ScottinMA thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh great, I'm the one in a million that didn't hear about it.

4. Brammy macrumors 65816

Could be a good day to play six numbers in a lottery. Maybe you'll be one in a million twice. :)

5. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Wouldquicken run in a leo vm ? Just a thought ....

6. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Intuit is obviously not interested in the Mac platform, so what can they do? Eventually it had to happen.

7. gentlefury macrumors 68030

You do realize that if Apple supported every single legacy application ever the OS would be ENORMOUS!

8. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

9. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Evil Conspiracy

Somewhere in a secret room in Cupertino CA a group of software engineers plotted their revenge against intuit's application Quicken. They thought to themselves, "Mauh ha ha ha we will make it so Quicken doesn't run on the Lion when it comes out, and this will create panic in the world. Then one day all will come to us asking how do we make it work on our Mac's, they'll grovel at our feet and beg us saying please please-I-I need it - I just cant live without it!!!!!"

Thus far the evil plan is succeeding and people are posting about this malicious evil act here on this blog. We must put an end to this chaos before it consumes the world!!!!!!

Can't say I didn't warn you, the removal of the CD/DVD drive was phase one of their evil plan. The App store was Phase two.

10. ScottinMA thread starter macrumors newbie

Right but I wasn't asking for anything more than a heads up on the lack of support for rosetta..It could have been published or perhaps part of the install info but I guess that was asking too much

11. gibbz macrumors 68030

It was.

Edit. I'm not sure if it was published by Apple, but it has been known for a while.

12. ScottinMA, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

ScottinMA thread starter macrumors newbie

Funny and thanks for taking the time to write all that. I suspect there are quite a lot of people who use Quicken and were blind sided by this besides myself. It's sorta like discovering that Word no longer will work on your mac....

It wasn't or I'd have known

13. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I think one of the first things that you should do before any upgrade is check the compatibility of app, especially if they are work-critical.

You didn't do this.

Apple pulled support for legacy apps, cheers on them - Microsoft supports everything and hasn't got the balls to move on, and look where that got them.

14. advan031 macrumors 6502

This doesn't bother me as much as I've given up on Quicken on the Mac and started using Mint to try my finances.

15. Simon Templar, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

Simon Templar macrumors member

Simon Templar

My understanding is that Quicken Essentials for Mac WILL run on Lion.

This is not really great news, however. I am in the process of switching over to QE and, to be honest, I think it is the worst piece of coding I have ever seen. But, it is stable...and it will reliably do what little it has been designed to do.

It has barely half the features of past versions, and the interface is a disgrace. Apparently, Intuit thinks we all want an accounting package that looks and acts like iTunes. ( Why????? ) Seems to me that I'd rather have an accounting package that looked and acted like an accounting package. But, hey...that's just me.

It is a perfect example of what you get when you give a Mac coding project to a couple of PC code-monkeys who have their heads too far up their asses to learn Mac code. They've done the absolute minimum...and not one inch more. (Most likely because they couldn't figure out how to do more)

QE will convert your file from previous versions to it's own format. I moved up from Q2005 and it transferred everything over without hiccup.

For what it's worth,

.....sT

While I agree with the spirit of this, I'm afraid your argument is lacking.

It hasn't 'gotten' Microsoft anywhere...mainly because Microsoft wasn't anywhere to begin with! :D

....sT

16. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why blame Apple?

Ituit has had 5 years to develop a version of Quicken that doesn't rely on Rosetta. The handwriting has been on the was since SL that PowerPC apps are a thing of the past.

You also need to hold yourself accountable. Why did you upgrade without checking the comparability of your most critical application first. That's almost as bad as not backing up your data.

17. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

This is why you don't rush into operating system upgrades without researching program compatibility first. It's been this way since the dawn of computers. Nearly every review I've read of Lion has made a huge deal about the removal of Rosetta.

Intuit has had FIVE years to update their program. Why are you upset with Apple again?

18. GraceMolloy macrumors regular

GraceMolloy

19. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

sorry to break it to you it has been the talk of the internet for the last 3 months just google it you will see pages of articles that date back into february.

20. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I have been a Quicken for Mac user for many years, current version is 2007.

Last week I received and email from Intuit telling me about the discontinued support in Apple Lion OS X for Quicken. It listed several options and offered Quicken Essentials for half price, and said they were working on an iPad App to be released later.

After reading all the bad reviews for Quicken Essentials I was not going to buy it. I am not an accountant, I just need something to keep my checkbook and monthly budget. Being used to the way Quicken works, I decided to try Essentials. I have decided I like it just as much or better than Quicken ! Quicken Essentials does everything I need and at half price I am very happy.

21. AFPoster macrumors 65816

LMAO this gave me a good laugh for the day.

22. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Last time I checked intuit lets customers of Quicken upgrade their databases to Quick Books format. Assuming Quickbooks works on Lion, you can just pay the $183.95 for Quickbooks for mac. This could just be what they want you to do, seeing as how they are a big company like many others and do what big companies do, make profits. Sorry to hear that there playing this game with Mac users.

Here's the Quicken Mac support page:
    http://quicken.intuit.com/support/mac.jsp

23. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

TRUE. Intuit really does NOT support Mac. I had to install Parallels 6, Wndows7, and Quicken for Windows. Works great, but I am still pi.... with Intuit.

24. Coffee2go macrumors newbie

iBank vs Quicken 2007

I'm not a hardcore user but I think ibank is the way to go unless you move to quicken for PC. I wasn't all that impressed with quicken 2007. I don't import into turbo tax either.

25. FroMann macrumors 6502

FroMann