Apple ID for iMessaging

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by JCA, Dec 28, 2013.

1. JCA macrumors newbie

Hi.

I had what I think is quite a familiar problem with Imessages sent by other people to my iphone being picked up by other apple devices attached to our family Apple ID. Obviously these could be unchecked on these devices but a nosey child can easily re-tick them.

I created a new Apple ID and set my Imessaging to this new Apple ID in Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > Apple ID.

My number now no longer appears as an option on the Send & Receive bit on my kids' ipads. Does that mean they definitely won't receive my imessages?

Sorry I know this sort of thing has been asked before in all likelihood.

Many thanks.

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If the receive address (phone or email) isn't on their devices, they should not receive the messages.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Any particular need to share the Apple ID for iMessage/FaceTime purposes?

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

And this is why everyone should have their own Apple ID.

5. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

Except that doesn't really work for families. Without a shared Apple ID, then they wouldn't be able to share purchases. As long as each had an individual iCloud account for messaging then there really wouldn't be an issue.

6. Zcott macrumors 68020

Untrue.

7. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

Why complicate the process? You then have to switch passwords when updating apps. Signing in and signing out of Apple IDs seems unnecessary when the simple solution is an individual iCloud account.

8. shandyman Suspended

indeed, that's why it does state in the terms & conditions as such........

9. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

Family Solution

I have a family of 4. We all have an Apple device or two. What I did was set up my iTunes account so we all share apps, but the password is mine only. If they want an app they have to ask me. (or the wife).

For messaging, we all have separate iCloud accounts. This also allows separate iCloud backups...

This setup has worked very well for us for several years now.

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Families can share an AppleID for iTunes purchases, but each can also have their own separate AppleID for iCloud, Messages and FaceTime.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yup, that's basically the way to do it these days usually.

12. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

+1

Been doing it this way since iMessage was released with a family of 4 (all with multiple Apple products). I've never had an issue.

13. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

You can use one Apple ID for purchases and another for iMessage/iCloud etc. They don't have to be the same.

14. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

I don't get it? Is that not what I said? As long as each has an individual iCloud account there would be no issue. HOWEVER, the Apple ID for purchasing apps must be the same otherwise the "everyone needs their own Apple ID" thing doesn't work for families.

15. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Not sure if I read your post accurately or not, so disregard if you already know this.

An AppleID is like a key. This key consists of an email address and password.

In settings, you have multiple places to use these keys (i.e., your AppleID's)
    (1) App Store & iTunes, (2) iMessage, (3) FaceTime, (4) iCloud

You can use different keys for each of them. Or stated more correctly, you can use differs AppleIDs for each of them.

Typically, families will use the same exact AppleID in Settings > iTunes & App Store. By doing this, the entire family is able to share purchased content. HOWEVER, each member of the family will use a personal AppleID for iMessage, FaceTime, & iCloud.

You can change which AppleID is being used under Settings > (iMessage OR FaceTime OR iCloud). It does NOT have to be the same as what is used for iTunes or the App Store.

Hope this helps.

16. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

Good explanations. I've been trying to figure out the most efficient way to solve the app sharing problem so my 7 year old can have his apps without the rest of my stuff.

17. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

My above post allows you to do that. Additionally, you can go into restrictions on the 7-year old's device and further limit app content, etc. and since you control the App Store password he or she cannot download without your knowledge.

18. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

Thank you! Just finished doing this now. Extremely helpful!

19. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I'm facing this now. Did you physically set up the additional (personal) Apple ID using each device? For instance, would my son need to set up his own Apple ID using his iPhone for iMessage & FaceTime thusly:

Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts & Calendar > Accounts > Add Account > iCloud > Scroll to bottom of page and choose Get a Free Apple ID. This won't remove the primary ID but should then be set up using his own Gmail address that already exists in iMessage & FaceTime (due to a previous attempt)?

We seek to share Find My iPhone & App Store but NOT iMessage & FaceTime.

I'm posting this in different threads because I can't seem to find a definitive how-to. This one is good.

20. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I recommend creating a new AppleID for each individual person using Apple's iCloud email address.

In my family, the AppleID we use to purchase content is a gmail address. Again, we all use this in Settings > iTunes & App Store.

We use our individual iCloud email addresses' for all the other settings (iMessage, FaceTime, iCloud, Find My iPhone, etc).

Both my kids have iPhones & iPads (the oldest also has a MBP). So using their individual iCloud email as their AppleID for those other setting allows them to keep their own contacts sync'd as well as all the other personal stuff that iCloud keeps sync'd across devices. Obviously, nobody wants my youngest kids contacts in our contact lists, etc.

You mentioned Find My iPhone. I highly recommend you associate this to the individual AppleID and not the main AppleID as this is a part if iCloud. For your kids, you can keep the password in order to manage this feature if needed.

Finally, off topic, but I also recommend setting up 2-step verification for all the AppleID's you create.

Let me know if you need any additional help setting this up.

21. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

For data stuff like this and iCloud yes. Don't want junior turning on contacts and erasing your address book

For iTunes stuff, sharing is still cool.

----------

Trouble is that the system won't let you switch willy nilly. Better to just have the one for iTunes and stick with it

22. Zcott macrumors 68020

You can sign in and out of accounts in the App Store.

23. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Try it and you will find that you are cut off after several switches. It will make you wait at least 30 days if not longer before you can log back into previously used accounts.

24. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

25. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

I just wish they'd key the iBooks bookmarks to same ID as my Safari bookmarks, and not my purchasing ID. The wife and I don't need to share iBook bookmarks just because we read the same books.