Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
Sometimes you get surprised by what Apple offers for free, when it's something that you may have thought you had to purchase separately.
well ….

but to get this "free" software you have to pay double the price for the hardware - if you are the first purchaser of the hardware.… It´s the "bundle"-trick. Not that cheap on second look… ;)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
?
If you purchase a Mac, you get a Mac (and not something else)
Sometimes you get lucky, where you can find a "second look" good used Mac for much less.
And, I got all that stuff "free" after a reinstall on a "new-for-me" 3 year old mini, that I paid half what I expected (actually less, with a free display) when I was fairly sure that I would have to re-purchase the various apps.
So, just offering the idea that sometimes you get more than you expect (even with a Mac :D )

I am also not offering opinions about that software. For some, getting the Apple apps, even free, is not worth it to them. 'twas a good deal for me at the time, as I was setting up a "new" Mac for a good friend. It all worked out quite well, I think.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
I was talking let´s say about a good-performing windows machine with Windows 10 on one side and lets say a MBP with ElCrap ehhh El Capitan on the other side. Both new of course.

It´s the bottom line that counts and this is shurely not in favor of apple´s customers…. If the apple-type of HW/SW-bundle was competitive, they´d not solder and glue everything to prevent the OWNERS of the machines to use and upgrade them as the OWNERS want to… In fact they sell their OS very, very expensive...

I got iWorks for free as well - never used it. Can´t even tell if it´s worth money or not - bought office for Mac though.

Did just a critical remark about "free" Software (OS) or not. I think I have the right to criticize this as someone who payed a lot for new apple gear (until 2012).

Two or three years from now we will know if the customers will not get more and more angry about their non-upgradable apple machines. I bet many of them will indeed. There are already people who start to be pissed about their machines having now (1-2 years after the purchase) need for more RAM, more diskspace, …

For me, this is no problem as my family and I are happy with the last upgradable products that apple made…

tlts

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
USA
MrAverigeUser....to answer your sarcastic tone .... no its not hard to click on the program!
i did click on the program ...as i stated & stated it is there. however, could it be the program is viewing temporarily? that was my concern.

thank you DeltaMac for your detailed easy to understand reply.

I just went to the App Store. The previous owners Apple ID remains!!!!! the erasure did not erase his ID. These updates are still under his Apple ID even after we went thru the erasure last week.

what do i need to do?
...it seems i am still at square 1!...even after the hard erasure last week...
what could i have done incorrect?
[doublepost=1454342782][/doublepost]DeltaMac the conversation you and whats his name had going on seems to much for me to comment on however it sounds like the two of you were giving clarification to one another.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Pretty simple, I think.
Open the App Store.
Log out of that account. Then log in with your own AppleID.
But then, you won't "own" the software that the old user has in their Purchased list.
And (unless the previous owner had no clue at all) you won't know the password to log back in to the old AppleID.

tlts

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
USA
there are 4 updates showing under previous owner apple id. i clicked on the 'update all'. his email is viewed and his apple id required. i then clicked 'quit' under app store.

then

i 'signed in' under my email with my apple id.
his 4 updates remain viewing. i clicked on 'update all', again, and his email comes up again...requiring his ID.

do i need to 'shut down' the computer after i 'quit' the app store to erase his information?

or

as long as i can use my apple id then it does not matter if his apple id is required for updates. i would just have to always 'quit' then come back to 'update' with my apple id as his seems to be primary apple id.

i had thought i was rid of this issue with erasing the hard drive...as this was the original issue.

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia
there are 4 updates showing under previous owner apple id. i clicked on the 'update all'. his email is viewed and his apple id required. i then clicked 'quit' under app store.

then

i 'signed in' under my email with my apple id.
his 4 updates remain viewing. i clicked on 'update all', again, and his email comes up again...requiring his ID.

do i need to 'shut down' the computer after i 'quit' the app store to erase his information?

or

as long as i can use my apple id then it does not matter if his apple id is required for updates. i would just have to always 'quit' then come back to 'update' with my apple id as his seems to be primary apple id.

i had thought i was rid of this issue with erasing the hard drive...as this was the original issue.

It's possible that restoring the Time Machine backup brought back the apps that were purchased by the previous owner. Just delete those apps and it that should stop it from prompting with his Apple ID.

tlts

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
USA
i opened the updates....where those 4 apps are viewed.
i clicked update then clicked onto 'edit' while in App store...
under 'edit' 'delete' is there but not available.

how else would i delete those apps?

tlts

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
USA
gone...done....good!!!!!

i have to take a break from this issue but at some point very soon i will need to get an application to write documents.
i had used the Pages application. Those documents will not open now that i trashed the application correct?

thank you Bcave098 & DeltaMac for ALL your assistance with this issue.

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia
i have to take a break from this issue but at some point very soon i will need to get an application to write documents.
i had used the Pages application. Those documents will not open now that i trashed the application correct?
Unfortunately you're right. While you can open .pages files using iCloud.com, you'd need the Pages.app to open the on the computer. I'd suggest Office 2016 (or Office 365) for paid apps or many of the free alternatives, which I don't know anything about. And I'm not sure if any will open .pages documents as I don't use or have the Pages.app

tlts

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
USA
thank you...
I will look around for reviews on what's best for just writing basic documents on the Mac.

you have been quite helpful along side DeltaMac & Weaselboy. your knowledge is appreciated as is your follow thru.
again,
thanks

Reactions: Weaselboy

tlts

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2015
USA
since the disk erasure I have got an alert about google drive. the alert on my Mac says the folder is missing.
I can view the google drive folder in applications. when I open the folder ,I can see 'sheets'.

can you tell me how to retrieve the missing folder the Mac is telling me is missing?
or
how would I confirm Google drive folder is in the Mac and I should ignore the alert!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.