iPad Apple ID in App Store

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lcf4164, May 25, 2013.

1. lcf4164 macrumors newbie

Alright. I recently bought and iPad from my cousin. Immediately after I got it, I logged out of everything and reset all the settings. I went into settings and put in my Apple ID and then I went into the App Store (and iTunes Store) and made sure my ID was the one in the little box at the bottom (it was) . Then, when I tried to update an app, my cousin's Apple ID popped up and it was asking me for her password. So I signed out and back in on everything -- literally everything -- and it's still doing it. I don't know what to do. Help is greatly appreciated!!

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

When your cousin bought that app, it was purchased with the cousin's AppleID. The cousin paid for it, and can download the app on any iPad, iPhone etc. with his or her AppleID. And the app can be updated with his or her AppleID, but not with yours.

The app isn't yours. You didn't buy it. Apple doesn't remove it from the iPad, because quite often people share an iPad, or people use two different AppleIDs, but you can't upgrade it, and you can't re-download it if you delete it. If you backup the iPad to your computer, normally anything you purchased will be copied to your computer, but not apps or music that were not purchased by you, with your AppleID.

If the app is free, you can delete it (so the app owned by your cousin is gone) and download it again (this time it's _your_ app). If the app wasn't free, you can do the same thing but you'll have to pay for it like your cousin did.

3. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

You should restore the iPad and download the apps using your own Apple ID - for both free and paid apps. Then they are yours.

4. lcf4164 thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it. Thank you!!