Apple ID re-setting problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nselbst, Jul 9, 2013.

1. nselbst macrumors newbie

Hi.
    I want to reset my password for my Apple ID.
    I can't answer the security questions so I choose the option of sending me reset security info to mail. The problem is that the email address that is listed is not my email address and not the one that is listed as my primary email nor the alternate one.
    I can't get my security info.
    Any suggestions? :eek:

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Well, I know my friend's Apple ID and I want to prank him by resetting his password. I don't know his password, and I can't answer the security questions, so I'm trying to get the security info through mail. The problem is that info gets sent to his email address and not mine, so I can't get the security info.

Can you see the problem?

I don't know if Apple can help you. Their systems _could_ be set up so that nobody at Apple can get your password, or reset your password, or change the email address. And with all the news of governments etc. spying on people, that's actually how it should work (so if the police asks Apple for your password, they can't actually provide it). If you turn on the more secure two-factor authentication, Apple says that they have no way to access your password.

In your case, I'd make an appointment at an Apple Store, bring some picture ID that proves who you are, and they may be able to set up Mail on your Mac so that it receives the security email from where Apple sent it to, and they may know how to get the password. Or they may not.