Apple iLife '09 update free...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 156457, Jan 13, 2009.

1. 156457 macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I just went on the update system for my MacBook on the UK Apple site, and clicked that I bought it online from Apple (which I did, on my Dad's apple account) and then asked me to login, so I did with my account and it asked me for serial number and purchase date, so I typed my serial number and and chose purchase date 7th Jan, rather than 1st December (when it was actually shipped) and it's just added the iLife '09 upgrade to my cart and said my system qualifies. Am I safe to go ahead and buy it? Could I get into trouble or something for lying about the purchase date?

I'd advise others to try this too, see if it works!

Nick.

http://www.apple.com/uk/ilife/uptodate/
    http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/

2. trippingchris macrumors newbie

I just tried for the hell of it and lied about the date and it gives me the $9.95 update. Really tempting to do lol, but in the end I wont

3. kolax macrumors G3

Requires your serial number I believe - but if your serial number and you enter a fake date and it gives you the option to do so (obviously, only serial numbers within the past couple of months), then why not.

4. 156457 thread starter macrumors 6502

it's let me order it. I ordered it and have est. shipping @ end of Jan. :D

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Doubt you would get in trouble, how were they to know you that you didn't buy a Mac after Jan 6th paying cash.

The question is, are you morally comfortable with stealing.

6. 156457 thread starter macrumors 6502

I paid over the web but on a different account.

Well, I don't see it so much as stealing, seens as I have paid shipping + handling and spent £950 for a laptop I could of got for about £450 with Windows. (And also the fact that I paid $3000/£1500 on an iMac in the past year + 5 Apple iPods in the past 3 years)

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Guess we have that answer ;)

So that makes it right? :rolleyes:
    Anything can be justified if we want to think that way

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

8. trippingchris macrumors newbie

Yeah I used my serial from my Mac I bought from Best Buy a month or so ago and it worked.

9. 156457 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't see it as stealing as I have paid money for it and it's not like I have got the disc for free.
    @TrippingChris did you go ahead with the order in the end?

10. kolax macrumors G3

Doesn't make it "right" - but hey, in the current economic climate - keep your pennies and the pounds will look after themselves ;)

11. linuxophile macrumors regular

Let's see .... Trouble for lying?

Why?

Anyway, Apple should know the shipping date of the serial number, I guess up to a week or two.

Do it if you feel comfortable in doing it.
    Since the computer allows you to it, then there is no technical obstacle.

...or maybe you just want moral support ...

12. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yep the online form will take any fake input and validate it (any valid serial number and a date on or after January 6th)- but it will be interesting to see how well this all works out since it clearly says in the terms and conditions of the offer that:

which I would certainly imagine would include them checking for the valid date of purchase before shipping it since they require the supporting paperwork to be dated and itemized.

EDIT: Oh and BTW- the link for the order form you need to submit along with the proof of qualified purchase is available for download on the Terms and Conditions page too.....
    http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/#terms

13. svndmvn Guest

you might as well just download it!
    to me it's a bit like stealing from your favorite shop, no need to say it's unethical.

14. 156457 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it gave me a shipping date and delivery date. I cancelled it anyway. Thanks for the info.

15. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I did this for Leopard...my iMac shipped with Tiger and two months later Leopard came out. Out of curiosity i tried my system to see if it qualified and it allowed me do it

I didn't feel bad at all. I spend spend too much money on Apple anyway

However for iLife i am legit...sort of...my brother is. He got a MacBook 7th Jan and is entitled to the update program. I'll borrow his CD and install iLife 09 on my Nov 08 MBP Classic...if he allows me...its his after all. Even though he used my education discount. So i help him...he helps me

Not that i'm all that interested in the new iLife anyway.

16. kolax macrumors G3

Shipping date - if you ordered online from Apple.

Not if you bought from the Apple Store, or a reseller which could even have had stock sitting there since November.

17. 156457 thread starter macrumors 6502

No it says on the upgrade page that if you bought it from Apple Retail store you should do it by post or whatever, but if you bought it directly from the Online Store it takes you to the page asking you to login and such.

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

How is that legit... sort of?
    Yes, it is his... for one copy, one computer, unless he buys a family pack

If he installs it... well, it isn't even sort of legit for you to as well

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

19. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Technicalities...

20. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Don't they know when you registered your computer? When you get a new mac and start it up you have to registered it at that time, dont' you?

21. 156457 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's why I don't understand why they don't put a system in a place where the web form only accepts valid serial numbers registered on or after the 6th Jan.

22. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Maybe there is some leeway in the system.

23. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The suite that you are stealing is just one of the reasons you would not have saved £550 with Windows. A Windows equivalent of iLife amounts to a lot of money.

And why are you using this as an excuse anyway? You obviously thought the computer was worth it or you wouldn't have bought it. No one forced you to buy the computer, which is incidentally well priced for the hardware and software it offers.

You think that because you can purchase a Windows laptop with the same processor and RAM yet lacks many other features for less money that this gives you a ticket to steal software?

24. 156457 thread starter macrumors 6502

No but someone who spends over £3000 on one company over 3 years deserves a freebie... I cancelled the order anyway, check my last post in page 1.

25. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

deserve? um no

why do you think you are entitled to something free again?