Apple iMac or Dell XPS 210?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Blueprint, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Blueprint macrumors member

I’m stuck between getting either an Apple 20” 2.4 iMac or a Dell 22” 2.4 XPS 210.

The Dell is cheaper, comes with a bigger screen, has more RAM (only £100 more to upgrade to 4GB) and also has a memory card reader,

The Apple comes with… with… with… Well ok I can’t really see anything that the apple offers over the Dell, a higher price tag?

I’m not sure which to go for, and since I’m coming from a long line of PC’s I seem to be leaning towards the Dell, is their anything else I should take in to consideration before I make my purchase?

2. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I suspect not. ;) Just people unable/willing to use the "Search Function" — admittedly not a state of the art one — but useful enough. :D

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The Mac will keep its value for far longer, you'll have a far better operating system to use... and you get all the iLife apps on there.

5. gormond macrumors regular

Considering you are asking this in a Mac forum I think you already know what peoples answer will be :rolleyes:

Dell = Dull, Enough said:p
    :apple: for the win

6. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Well, the iMac has a MUCH prettier design, don't know if that matters to you though. And the display may be bigger, but it has the same resolution I guess so a 20" @1680x1050 will look sharper than a 22"@1680x1050.

It's really up to you if you want to learn something different. What do you want to use the computer for? Do you enjoy working with windows?

Well, does anybody enjoy working with windows?:D

7. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

You should definitely get the Dell. There is nothing about the Mac you value: not the operating system, or the software that comes with it (which would cost hundreds under Windows even if you can find equivalents), or the security, or the ability to run all popular operating systems simultaneously or even how they're made.

I don't in any way mean this to be insulting but to ask the question is to answer it. Dude, get the Dell. Best wishes.

8. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Can the administrators put some sort of a filter on these post so we wont see the age old Dell vs Mac posts anymore....

9. Spanners macrumors member

This almost seems to be a an attempt at a flame.

Your're in a Mac forum... what do you expect us to say?

10. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I think we should recommend Dell to these people. Let them suffer the way they make us suffer by asking us these questions!

<laughs evilly>

Dell is amazing. You should buy it. Apple is the sux0rs, and everyone here knows that! That's why we come to this site, to talk about how crappy apple is and how much better Dell is!

Vista FTW, Leopard is a kitty!

11. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Please don't suggest that !!!
    As a Mac follower I love the opportunity to feel smug .. :cool:

12. Blueprint thread starter macrumors member

Wish you had taken the blue pill?

If everyone used that feature it would leave you guys with nothing to do ;)

The OS does like nice and different but the apps that come on iLife don’t appear to be that useful to me, the only one I would possibly use is iPhoto, or maybe iWeb. I guess it is a good thing that is holds its value, but how long for and how much are we talking on something like an iMac 20” 2.4GHz?

Well actually no, why would it be, just because I own a playstation 3 doesn’t mean I wouldn’t recommend an xBox-360 to someone who was after a better online experience from a home system,

Yes I agree that the iMacs all in one design is very nice and I have to admit that I had over looked the screen resolutions and just taken the actual size in to consideration, and I don’t mind working with windows, if you treat it right its very stable and doesn’t crash or freeze as often as people would lead you to believe,

Well i cant really value something that i am unfamiliar with, and like i posted before, most of the bundled software i wouldn’t use so i can value it at hundreds of £££ because i wouldn’t have bought it for a windows machine, what do you mean by the security?

I haven’t took your post as insulting, i'm here to see why some of my other friends and photographers recommend getting a mac over a pc for my next big purchase, if you believe i would be happier, more at home and get more out of the Dell then thank you for your opinion in helping me decide :)

But look at how much fun were having :D

Well i would hope that your knowledge of apples computers and operating system would lead you guys to give me a more educated comparison, because i hardly know anything about OS-X or the iMac (it was only recently released, yes?)

Also there was no flame intended so I’m sorry if it has come across like that, I’m just wanting to buy the right computer for my needs and when your looking to spend this kind of money its worth doing some research… true?

Why would i suffer if i bought a Dell? Possibly elucidate on your statement before continuing to take the piss?

Thanks for the replies :)

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Mod's note: The OP has a serious question with a serious intent. Why don't some of you attempt to answer it instead of messing around? Why make our community look like a bunch of jerks in the process?

Honestly, some days Mac users really annoy the hell out of me.

Any more off-topic piss-taking posts will be deleted. Thanks.

14. amakh007 macrumors member

I had debate between Dell 410 and iMac. I made the switch to iMac and have LOVED it. There has been no remorse. iMac performance and design are great. For photo/video editing and some gaming, I love it.

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

get the hell.. o sorry i meant dell. you won't regret it. my he.. dell laptop has been great! i love having to reinstall windows every 2 months because all of the drivers stop working randomly.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The Mac looks far prettier / has better aesthetics, has less wires dangling around, has better wireless integration (boot off a wireless keyboard and mouse without using any external dongles or bluetooth adapters), and holds value better (typical depreciation on a Mac is about $20/month, and it's very rare to see Macs go to a very low depreciation state until they're very old -- four year old Apple notebooks that sold for $1100-1300 originally still sell for $350-450 used routinely).

In terms of OS X, it is essentially virus free, it is better developed / more stable than Vista and prettier than Windows XP, and it has fairly different user interface subtleties (which no one can really tell you whether you'd like or not). In general support for hardware accessories is much more limited than in Windows, but the hardware that does work, works very well, and very little of it even needs driver installation.

In terms of other Apple applications, iLife does things that are readily available in other applications, both in Windows and on OS X, but iLife bundles them together in an easy to use fashion, and the net result is that you find that people who would not bother with digital media kinds of things do them much more than they thought they would once they get a Mac, and have a fun time doing it.

Does any of that mean anything to you? That's the part where you come in. You say you want a serious answer to which computer you should buy, but all you've mentioned so far is price. You haven't even said one word, from what I can see, about what you actually do with your computer now or want to be able to accomplish with it in the future. Doesn't that seem in the least bit to be an important part of your purchasing decision?

17. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

Looking at the specs of the dell:
    Radeon X1300 with only VGA port vs Radeon HD2600 2 x DVI
    Really, a horrible PC design.
    Better FSSB 1066 vs 800 (wont be noticeable)

Ill take the imac, because.....it runs OSX, and is way more beautiful.

18. gormond macrumors regular

On a serious note I would say OSX and iLife are both good enough reasons to choose the Mac over the Dell machine.

19. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

Go with the iMac... delivered Christmas 2009 (sorry I’m just a bit sore because my iMac wont be here for another two weeks!)

Seriously though, i was in the same boat as you, fortunately the iPod back to school offer came a long when it did and that gave me the push i needed to make my iMac purchase,

Have you tried using a Mac first to see if its the right thing for you?

20. Blueprint thread starter macrumors member

Well I want the computer for, photography, some games, music, internet/e-mail, money/date management and some basic word processing tasks, nothing really intense or heavy (although I guess you could say Photography is), I guess I was as arrogant when approaching the boards for help as the guys who gave me some replies, sorry for not making my needs clear in the opening post, anyway I will see what you guys think after reading my needs

21. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

BTW, remember you can run Windows (XP or Vista) on an iMac — the Dell can't do that. :p

22. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Hi Blueprint.

In my humble opinion the only thing that differentiates computers nowadays is the OS. If you're happy with Windows - and why shouldn't you be - buy the Dell. If however you fancy a change, wait a month for Leopard, then buy a Mac.

Keep smilin' ;)

23. Spanners macrumors member

Well in that case... Go Mac all the way. probably the iMac. Spec it up to what you can afford. Remember always spend your budget don't scrimp now otherwise you will regret it later.

To echo some of the posts above..

The software alone will be worth the difference in price and will be great for your photo needs and yes you can run XP/Vista perfectly well as a dual boot or in virtualisation. In fact I am a Professional C#.NET developer and use Windows every day. So really I think the choice is an easy one. Get the Mac you can't lose.

Oh and I've just seen this thread... It sums it up perfectly

Great Answer

24. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Blue Velvet, your earlier post wasn't answering the OPs question either. You were supposing that everyone should think iLife and Mac OS X is the best there is. That is quite typical of the Mac community, which you are condemning in your post.

Value matters and sometimes it doesn't. Lately Mac value has been dropping further than it did in the PPC days. The swift Intel roadmap has caused Mac values to plummet. While the Dell won't be better of course, since they blow th things out cheap. The OP gets a less expensive computer from the start, which may offset some of the value loss. Now, if you are pushing the Dell past 5 years. The iMac will fair better in value. But again, that may or may not matter to you. It depends on how often you

Now do I love OS X? Of course. That is why I use a Mac. The OP needs to find out what is better for their needs. Go to the Apple store and try it out. See if you like the OS. The build quality/looks of the iMac. The extra little things, camera and front row etc.

Simply comparing specs and price won't get you very far when buying anything these days. It is the extra stuff that doesn't match up.

Value is in the eye of the beholder. Check out the iMac and see if it has value for you. It might not. And that is fine. They are not for everyone.

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, now we're talking. :)

For the photography, internet, music, e-mail, etc, the Mac will be amazing. I suspect you'll really enjoy the offerings in these areas. They're very easy to set up and use, and I found myself at home right away with them. iTunes is at home on a Mac, obviously.

Photoshop works pretty much the same on Windows and OS X, but it just feels very at home on a Mac in a way that it does not on Windows. iPhoto is great for basic photo management, and Aperture, Lightroom, and a new open-source (free) competitor are all very nice for advanced stuff (mostly differentiated by volume... they're very suited to you if you take many, many pictures).

The Safari browser is very nice -- my personal favorite of any available option. Firefox is also available, and I use it occasionally on OS X and exclusively on Windows. (I personally prefer Safari to Firefox, but opinions vary on this).

Apple's built-in Mail, Address Book, and iCal scheduling program are all pretty straightforward, and I generally like them. Probably the best thing about them coming from Windows XP is that they're integrated with Spotlight searching (although I'm sure in Vista it's quite similar).

For the money -- I don't use any sort of financial software, like Quicken or MS Money. I've heard anecdotally that some people are not happy with Quicken, particularly if they're coming from Money on Windows. But I'll defer to someone who uses these programs more.

For Office tasks, you have a couple of options that have several threads devoted to them. MS Office is due for revision around the beginning of the year. The revision is somewhat controversial... if you've seen Office 2007 on Windows, you have a basic idea of what I mean. The Mac version seems to be more sensible than the new Windows version, but... As for the current version, Office 2004 personally to me is the best version of Office I've ever used on either Mac or Windows. The only issue is that it runs under an emulation type of system because it was written for the processors Apple used before they went with Intel. The other major option is called OpenOffice (and a variant called NeoOffice). They're free, your mileage may vary. I personally don't find them satisfactory, but many others like them. If you don't collaborate with other users who share and edit your documents, OOo or Neo are probably very good options.

For games, you have a couple of major options... one is certainly to get a copy of Windows (either XP or Vista) and install it on the Mac. There are Mac games, and where they exist, they tend to be excellent, but the selection is quite limited. If you get an iMac, it should be fairly capable generally with games (considerably better than that specific XPS model), and it should generally scream in Windows XP.

Overall, I'd definitely think about your software budget... you sounded skittish about money to begin with. If you get a Mac, you're probably going to need software... the things you'd probably need aside from iLife...

- Photoshop (if you have a relatively recent license, i.e. CS3 and maybe CS2, you are usually eligible to "crossgrade" to the Mac version for a very small fee), Photoshop Elements, Pixelmator, etc, something for photos

- Money software, since you mention it

- Office software, possibly

- Possibly a license for Windows to run on it.