Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Someone please answer me this..
Spotify's Market Cap is around the 4.5$ billion mark

Apple are buying beats for 3.2$b
Because you cannot buy a company at their market cap value. Attempted acquisitions always results in significantly increased share prices.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I'm happy for all you Apple doomsday prophets--you can relax now.

All you undercover (and also overt) bigots can still kick rocks though.

And to all the aforementioned groups, see you at the iPhone 6 launch.

The doomsayers will never relax. I'm always amazed by the stupid things that brings them out of their holes. I recall many believing a gold iphone was Apple's last desperate gasp before they went belly up.

jlwarlow

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
Leicestershire, UK
I use Spotify simply because there is no iTunes Radio in the UK. You can't compete when you have nothing to counter with. I would love to use iTunes Radio, but it isn't available here yet!

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
It's going to be so hilarious if this whole rumor turns out to be just a rumor and Apple doesn't even buy Beats.

That's why it is called "MacRumors"...

But why buying this overprized and underperforming headphones? if Apple wants good headphones there are better ones out there. Way better ones. So, its the streaming thing? Why not buying Pandora or Spotify then, the latter would make so much sense. Link with a button to buy directly from iTunes if you like a song, maybe with a small discount if a Spotify subscriber. Huge user base to win over to iTunes.

Or -why not changing iTunes into a streaming service as well, they have got all the music already, I guess need to renegotiate rights but which company would say to Apple "no, you didn't succeed in music business before so why should we..."

Maybe a rumor after all.

Last edited:

trife

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2012
Firefox/John Q Public effectively ousted it's CEO for donating $500 to a cause against gay marriage.

I wonder what Apple, a historically progressive company will do about Dr. Dre making millions glorifying homophobia and misogyny?

"Long as my mother****ing pockets was fat
I didn't give a **** where the bitch was at
But she was hangin' with a white bitch doin' the **** she do
Suckin' on his dick just to get a buck or two"

Just food for thought...

You do realize those lyrics were about Eazy-E (a man), right?

And how are those lyrics glorifying homophobia?

Oh, and that song came out in 1992. Not saying that excuses the misogyny, but I'm almost positive that some other Apple-affiliated musician, artist, etc. has said sketchy things within the last 2 decades. Stop acting like everyone else associated with Apple has squeaky clean pasts, or that they've never said stuff that in retrospect is wrong.

eiuro

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
Some of you people on here are racists and idiots.... Do you really think apple gives a **** about headphones??? They want the music streaming service and beats is probably saying you have to take it all not just the streaming... i'm pretty damn sure apple doesn't want glorified headphones that aren't that good anyway. Stop being a racist for a second and think with your brain not with your emotions.

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
Apart from not believing Beats has attracted paid subscribers in any great numbers, I read estimates around 200,000 and those not all yet paid up, when has Apple bought a company to keep separate, as an investment? It's not Berkshire Hathaway, or it didn't used to be. If there isn't some real synergy for the Apple brand, for instance streaming rights which *do* transfer, I don't see how this acquisition makes sense and I have trouble believing it.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
I use Spotify simply because there is no iTunes Radio in the UK. You can't compete when you have nothing to counter with. I would love to use iTunes Radio, but it isn't available here yet!

What does iTunes Radio offer that Spofity doesn't?

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
I don't understand why Apple would buy Beats.
Music is a dying industry with video being the next frontier.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
What gap needs to be filled? Can someone explain to me how beats music is filling a gap?

Wait about 6 months AFTER this acquisition and then ask this same question again. The faithful will swing from shock, despair, junk, "I can't believe Apple would buy Beats" to coming up with a good-sized bag of spin why this was a brilliant move, how much better Beats equipment sounds now (even if it doesn't change one bit) and so on.

The problem with this one is that it was sprung on the unpaid PR spin masters that "work" here. So they have little-to-nothing to spin this seemingly all (or heavy) negative into what will seem like a positive. But just give them time. With a little time (and clarity that Apple really is going to buy Beats), they'll innovate some great-sounding rationale to spin it as a genius acquisition. Wait a little longer and Beats will become a fantastic source of best quality sound (even without any changes to the stuff).

Example? Think of the collective view of AT&T before iPhone and then after. AT&T got an Apple halo effect from the "endorsement" by Apple. Same thing here. This "junk" will shift from "worst" to "wait & see what Apple does with it" to "it's kind of growing on me" to "best audio equipment ever" and "shut up and take my money" over the next 6-12 months. Another year or two from now and the premium quality brands that have filled in the blank of "Apple should have bought ________" will then be beat down like Android phones and Windows computers… spun as much inferior to Apple's Beats products.

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
converting users into paid? Beats doesn't have an ad-supported conversion funnel. Spotify, Deezer, Bloom do. Beats, Rdio, Napster don't. Beats has not proven that it can convert any users to their paid tier... For the moment, the vast majority of their users are AT&T bundled customers, not standalone paid subscribers.

Apple would be fine with that as long as they are buying iPhones.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
hopefully there will be some audio quality and durability improvements... the designs of the Beats headphones have always been top notch IMO... I've only bought one pair of the Powerbeats which I returned after a week because you can get better sound quality for cheaper and at the end of the day the SQ value is more important to me than the fashion statement.

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008

I'd love to use it too. It goes through my monthly data plan in something less than a day. I'd love it more if it cached music when I was at home on WiFi and played it back to me the next day, plenty of room on my iPhone, bugger all data.

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
"Apple Impressed by Beats' Ability to Attract Paid Subscribers"

Apple one day will be impressed by it's own inability to keep customers. Just sayin'

DonRivella

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2007
I just hope that a focus on streaming services will not mean no high capacity (128 GB or larger) iPhone/iPod touch. I prefer to have my collection (or at least a significant portion of it) with my all the time - 64 GB just does not cut it.

Having said that, the streaming app from Beats actually looks quite nice and seems to have useful functions - too bad it is not available where I live.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.