Apple In-Ear Headphones NOT compatible with Iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by barkomatic, Sep 9, 2008.

1. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The iphone is not listed as a compatible device for these headphones. Why? One of the things that has annoyed me about my iphone is having to wake up the iphone, enter your security code, and go to the playlist just to advance a song or replay it. I thought the iphone was supposed to combine everything great about a phone and ipod touch. Errr, I hope they come out with an iphone version. Any third parties do this?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Doesn't squeezing the mic on the headphones that ship with the iPhone do that?

I know it FF's to the next song when the iPhone doesn't have a lock on it... Never tried it on an iPhone that has a lock.

3. Manie Frizzle macrumors member

you can set it to double click home to access itunes. even when locked you still have control.

4. i0Nic macrumors 65816

I can't tell you how angry I am over this.
    I have been looking at solutions from Ultimate Ear and V-Moda but none grab my fancy.

This new Apple product is the Ultimate solution as far as I'm concerned, in having good quality sound with isolation along with a mic/switcher wrapped in a nice Apple design.

If this seriously does not work with the iPhone 3G, it is absolutely ridiculous and I can't believe Apple for doing this.

5. Joe23 macrumors 6502

You're thinking of the ones that come with the iPhone. The OP is on about these; announced at the latest keynote.

6. barkomatic thread starter macrumors 68040

If it does I didn't know that. Anyway, my iphone is locked so I guess it wouldn't work for me. hmmmm

I'll try it when I get home.

7. parkds macrumors regular

The page on the Apple store makes no mention of the iPhone. It certainly would be lame if it is not compatible. The current iPhone headphones/mic are really uncomfortable!

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Yet another of Apple's increasing list of idiotic and baffling moves. They make a pair of high quality buds with the features millions of iPhone users want, and make it incompatible with the iPhone. Good job Apple.

9. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I'll also be very upset if these aren't iPhone compatible. My iPhone headphones have just died, and I'd be all over these. There is *no* technical reason why these shouldn't work. All the connectors are standard. It's just Apple being incredibly stupid if it doesn't.

Phazer

10. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Just to clarify guys, the earbuds do work on the iphone. The only issue is the volume up/down buttons. They won't work! If that doesnt bother you, go ahead and preorder them.

11. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Aside from the idocy of that alone, the really important issue is if the skip button works for answering calls, and if the microphone works. The Apple site indicates that is not the case at present.

Phazer

12. FJR macrumors regular

link?

Thanks for the info regardless.

At the very least I would imagine Apple will make a fully iPhoneified version relatively soon.

13. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

I believe everything about them works with the iPhone except for the volume controls which I read somewhere because the iPhone doesn't support controlling the volume through the headphone jack.

14. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Sounds like the volume up/down functionality could be implemented in the new 2.1 firmware

15. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

I hope they made a mistake, they better hope they made a mistake.....:mad:

16. monkeytennis macrumors member

If it really is just the volume up/down that doesn't work I'd still consider getting them. But why on EARTH would Apple launch new top of the range headphones and not make them compatible with their flagship product? Idiocy.

17. mcflirty99 macrumors member

OK where the hell is this link to this eaerpohnoe?

18. monkeytennis macrumors member

19. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

If the new remote volume control feature utilizes the new hardware available only with the new iPod touch (i.e. NOT the iPhone), then how the hell would Apple be able to make it work with the iPhone?

20. stiphone macrumors regular

Well, once it's out, I believe that someone would buy it and try it out on an iPhone. We'll know if it works then.

21. marcol macrumors regular

Yep. In the meantime, has anyone tried it the other way around: iPhone headphones on the new Touch? Might give us some idea of compatibility.

22. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

Yeah but you can't adjust the volume on the iPhone headphones, only pause & skip songs.

23. marcol macrumors regular

For sure. It wouldn't be a great test but if pause, skip and the mic didn't work we'd be beginning to fear the worst!

24. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Given the connectors are entirely cross industry standard, if it doesn't work Apple really cocked up the engineering on the iPhone.

Phazer