Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is in "early-stage talks" with two Chinese companies about the supply of batteries for a future Apple Car, according to a new Reuters report.

Apple-car-wheel-icon-feature-yellow.jpg
Apple is in early-stage talks with China's CATL and BYD about the supply of batteries for its planned electric vehicle, four people with knowledge of the matter said.

The discussions are subject to change and it is not clear if agreements with either CATL or BYD will be reached, said the people who declined to be named as the discussions are private.
One of Apple's conditions for battery suppliers is said to be the building of manufacturing facilities in the United States.

However, CATL, which is the world's biggest automotive battery maker and supplies several major car makers including Tesla, is reportedly "reluctant" to build a U.S. factory because of the ongoing political tensions between Beijing and Washington, in addition to the costs that would be involved.

According to Reuters' sources, Apple is in favor of using lithium iron phosphate batteries that are cheaper to produce because they use iron instead of nickel and cobalt, which are more expensive. However, it's not clear if discussions with CATL and BYD involved any of Apple's own technology or designs.

The last few months has seen a flurry of reports, some conflicting, about potential specifics on an ‌Apple Car‌.

Apple appears to be intensely researching all aspects of car engineering and manufacturing, but there are questions around what form Apple's vehicle project may take, with some reports suggesting Apple may be looking to leverage its software and chip design expertise to create a kind of next-generation vehicle platform for other manufacturers to use.

Bloomberg in January reported that Apple self-driving vehicle is still in early development and is still at least five years away, while reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes that the vehicle is unlikely to launch until 2025 at the earliest.

Apple has also reportedly lost "several" top managers from its internal Apple Car project, codenamed "Project Titan," causing a potential setback to the launch of a self-driving car.

Article Link: Apple in 'Early-Stage' Talks With Chinese EV Battery Makers for Apple Car

Last edited:

Dremmel

macrumors regular
May 25, 2017
Is a place ruled by the Chinese Communist Party the best place to buy batteries from? I get that they will be cheapest there, but shouldn't moral considerations be taken in to account too? Aren't Apple concerned about setting a good example? I feel they enable the PLA etc with the vast sums that Apple channel their way.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Is a place ruled by the Chinese Communist Party the best place to buy batteries from? I get that they will be cheapest there, but shouldn't moral considerations be taken in to account too? Aren't Apple concerned about setting a good example? I feel they enable the PLA etc with the vast sums that Apple channel their way.

Regarding moral considerations... how about consumers who *choose* to purchase household and tech products manufactured in China?

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Why China again?! Stop relying the Chinese still!

China has the expertise. They're really the world leaders when it comes to LFP (Lithium Iron Phosphate) battery manufacturing.

But of course: "One of Apple's conditions for battery suppliers is said to be the building of manufacturing facilities in the United States."

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

The power, in this case, rests with the Chinese. Pun intended.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020

Your iPhone’s battery is made in China by Chinese manufacturers.

China is also in lead in terms of EV production and sales.

Reactions: brendu and raybo

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Whatever keeps the shareholders happy ain’t that right Timmy ?‍♂️
He would sell his own mother for a quick dollar, sooner he goes, the better, starting to get real stale at Apple Park on the innovation front.
I checked your post history and I don't see you advocating for Macbooks that cost $10,000 to manufacture and with limited supply while destroying the environment of whatever country you live in.

Unless you're willing to advocate for the above, then just shut up about it. Let's see how far you'd go for what you believe in.

• Disagree
Reactions: LFC2020 and raybo

Marbles1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2011
Regarding moral considerations... how about consumers who *choose* to purchase household and tech products manufactured in China?
The answer is not all or nothing:

I want nice Apple tech and I’d love to have the choice of where the product is manufactured.

I’d pay an extra 10% for an iPhone made outside China in countries such as India or Taiwan.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
The answer is not all or nothing:

I want nice Apple tech and I’d love to have the choice of where the product is manufactured.

I’d pay an extra 10% for an iPhone made outside China in countries such as India or Taiwan.

Does it really matters? In terms of number of Apple’s suppliers, China has already overtake Taiwan.

It doesn’t really matter if your iPhone made outside of China or not, you will still find Chinese made parts.

Reactions: brendu and raybo

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
Still havent learned any lessons placing all their eggs in China.

What does boycotts China achieve?

Does boycott China will help regime change? If you think this way, you are dreaming?

Or boycott China only makes you or anyone in this matter feel you are morally superior?

Take example: Xinjiang Cotton. United States has placed ban on Xinjiang’s cotton, yet China’s cotton expert to United State doubled first quarter 2021.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.